Lighter draw weight to work on form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighter draw weight to work on form

Been having difficulty of late. Sporadic and sometimes consistently shooting left. The setup is good. It's just me.

Have read/seen vids saying to work on form with a lighter weight bow. Mine is a 47# Bob Lee takedown so was thinking of getting another BL bow at around 35#. Thoughts?

If I do that, I'd love to have a Bob Lee or at least limbs to put on existing riser. But BL has not much in stock, I don't want wait on an order, and I've not seen any lighter limbs for sale.

What is a good bow to have just for this purpose? There a lot of less expensive ILF bows around. And Sammick's are everywhere.

Don't know what BL limbs go for, but you can probably get a good intermediate ilf for the same money. Maybe.

I think I'd go a little lighter for form work....maybe 30. My self I got some 28s but I have been outta archery for 10 or so years. I used to shoot 55-58# bows fairly efficiently and glad I went to 28s.

Just a suggestion.

Of course, if you run across someone with lighter BL limbs...

Comment

Just a different idea... After I recovered my from broken back, I didn't have any shoulder strength to shoot. I worked at it and plateaued about 8 pounds less than I used to be at. It got frustrating because it hurt so much to draw my bow. Someone recommended ArcheryStrong.com (Christian Williams). He is a personal trainer that focuses on your bow arm and shoulder strength. He has been great with easy to follow strengthening exercises that take less than 20 minutes three days a week. $90 for four weeks. It has been worth it, and I am only 2 weeks in.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
        Just a different idea... After I recovered my from broken back, I didn't have any shoulder strength to shoot. I worked at it and plateaued about 8 pounds less than I used to be at. It got frustrating because it hurt so much to draw my bow. Someone recommended ArcheryStrong.com (Christian Williams). He is a personal trainer that focuses on your bow arm and shoulder strength. He has been great with easy to follow strengthening exercises that take less than 20 minutes three days a week. $90 for four weeks. It has been worth it, and I am only 2 weeks in.
        I really don't feel I'm over-bowed. Shot a 3D this weekend for a total of about 90 shots and did ok. A little tired/sore the next day. I can hold the weight, just not releasing cleanly. I need to be in the gym anyway, so your suggestion has me thinking.

Comment

building strength and buying lighter limbs don't need to be mutually exclusive. It's really nice to have a bow you can shoot all day long for working on form.

If your draw length is 30" or less a Sage is hard to beat for the money.

Comment

Like many when switching to trad, I bought a 40lb Samick Sage and shot it almost daily for about 9 months. That really helped in getting my form consistent and learning to draw with proper back tension. Getting comfortable with my next bow which was 50lb took a while but by that time I knew what proper form felt like so it was just a matter of getting used to the increased weight. I think a used new Sage is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Like many when switching to trad, I bought a 40lb Samick Sage and shot it almost daily for about 9 months. That really helped in getting my form consistent and learning to draw with proper back tension. Getting comfortable with my next bow which was 50lb took a while but by that time I knew what proper form felt like so it was just a matter of getting used to the increased weight. I think a used new Sage is the way to go.
              Sound wisdom.

But I've been thinking (that usually gets me in trouble). I don't currently have a long bow, so I can't compete in any 3D longbow classes. Was thinking I could fix that with a 35# Bodnik Slick Stick or Quick Stick. About three times the price of Samick Sage, but kills 2 birds with one stone.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                Sound wisdom.

But I've been thinking (that usually gets me in trouble). I don't currently have a long bow, so I can't compete in any 3D longbow classes. Was thinking I could fix that with a 35# Bodnik Slick Stick or Quick Stick. About three times the price of Samick Sage, but kills 2 birds with one stone.
                I tried that... found out I'm not a good enough shot with a longbow to be happy shooting it. But I'm an odd duck when it comes to tradbows. I draw 32" and it takes a really stable bow to shoot consistently for me.

Comment

I needed a therapy bow. I bought a new Farmington Atlas riser on Ebay for $239 and a set of open box 35# carbon foam Samick Discovery longs limbs for $170. Makes a 64" bow at about 33lbs on this riser. It is a nice enough set-up that I will keep it for years to come. Much heavier bow than the Sage so it doesn't have any hand shock and is smooth as butter. If the whim hits, I can buy fancy ILF limbs and have a really nice set-up in just about any weight that I want.
                  Attached Files

Comment

ILF is certainly has many options and is changeable. A good choice to get a lower weight "therapy" bow. But I"m having a time warming up to them. To each his own of course. I've no doubt they shoot better than me.

The Mesa II or Quick Stik currently have my attention.

Comment

ILF was a really slow go for me too. I own one. Two Formula fitting bows. About sixty recurves and longbows of various design and make. I will say that had I started with ILF there wouldn't have been near the temptation to buy all of the pretty wood and glass bows. I've finally reached the point in my archery journey where function trumps beauty.

I've wondered about the Quick Sticks in the past. Lots of guys like them. The lack of different (longer) lengths kills the deal for me.

Comment

Ok, a little background on me. My bow arm shoulder has been dislocated twice and the shoulder blade broken once. Many years ago. So i had been shooting a 45# recurves. Two years ago my shoulder popped while shooting. I couldn't shoot a tournament without being in pain and the next day I could barley move my arm without pain.
                        I dropped down to 36#'s. It helped. But doing that wouldn't help me build up strength.
                        I found Archery Strong. He is mainly on Instagram but he does have a website.
                        I'm back to shooting just a bit over 40. Probably going to stay there. My shoulder hasn't
                        felt this good in years. Went to the HCS shot 2 rounds with warmups. Shoulder felt great.
                        I would strongly suggest you check him out.

Comment

Working...
                        X