more energy option for ar-15 platform??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
    What length barrel are you shooting the IMI ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It is a 16" 8 twist

Comment

I’ve had good luck with 62 Gr bonded and 75 Gr BTHP. 77s did ok, but not as good IMO. My got to has been the 75 BTHP for the past 3 years, and lots of pigs have died to it. I run them in a 17” 8 twist.

Comment

We kill tons of pigs with the cheap 7.62x39..
        Run duramags and have 0 feeding issues

Comment

With a 8 twist you could certainly try heavier bullets before you buy another upper. That being said, if you get a grendel you'll never regret it.
          Last edited by Walker; 02-28-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

You can’t beat a .450 Bushmaster inside of 250 yards

Comment

Another vote for 6.5 Grendel. You could also use 69 or 75 gr rounds with your current set up for something a little beefier. Not the biggest fan of 300 Blk.

You’ll need barrel, BCG, and mags.

Comment

There's been 2 mentions of just a barrel swap. That's not the way to go. Get a complete upper with bcg and your good. Barrel swap is a good bit more complicated and then you won't have a .556 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  There's been 2 mentions of just a barrel swap. That's not the way to go. Get a complete upper with bcg and your good. Barrel swap is a good bit more complicated and then you won't have a .556 anymore.
                  Definitely more complicated than a complete upper swap, but not difficult.
                  Did op get rid of the rock river with the 24” barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
                    Definitely more complicated than a complete upper swap, but not difficult.
                    Did op get rid of the rock river with the 24” barrel?
                    How is more complicated than a complete upper swap?
                    What am I missing?
                    I've only swapped barrels & bolts more than once, and have had 0 issues.

Comment

458 socom will hammer hogs,, 300 gr hp at about 1800-1900 fps,,,, there is never any doubt if you hit the target and blood trails if they are needed ( rarely needed) are massive ! kinda thinking about selling my upper with ammo, just not sure if i want too!

Comment

this was just the feedback i was looking for.. since brass is scarce, and i have plenty of 5.56 brass/pwder/primers, i'll first reload some 70 speer, and 75 bthp i have. i have two ar's 1:8, so that will be easy. i'll def. be looking for some grendel stuff in the future. sportsmans guide has a couple uppers, now. popped a couple last monday w ear shots.
                        Attached Files

Comment

i still have the rra varmint a4....it's not for sale.. but it is crazy accurate..with anything you shoot through it. only drawback, it's an 11lb'er

Comment

more energy option for ar-15 platform??

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            How is more complicated than a complete upper swap?
                            What am I missing?
                            I've only swapped barrels & bolts more than once, and have had 0 issues.

An upper and BCG swap takes 30 seconds... if you’re slow.

Also swapping barrels you have to change out your optics and rezero. Swapping uppers, you can keep your optics zerod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

Also swapping barrels you have to change out your optics and rezero. Swapping uppers, you can keep your optics zerod

Plus your handgard and you gas tube and gas block.
                              Last edited by Walker; 02-28-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                Plus your handgard and you gas tube and gas block.
                                10-4, I didn't realize those things were considered complicated.
                                When someone says barrel swap, I have always assumed those things were taken for granted.

Comment

Working...
                                X