X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    [/B]

Absolutly correct.
    My wives family has had a house on lake LBJ since the 60's been paid off for 40 years and it cost $11500
    Per year to own.....pure bull****
    Yup. I have many friends who had family lake houses in Austin (most without homestead protection) and they simply couldn't justify keeping them due to taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      They are going to get all they can while they can.
      ISD's and county government are the real crooks.
      No truer words spoken right here!

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
        Uh, no. 30% of what they save you. You didn't get an 80K reduction in your taxes--rather in your assessed value.
        Got it. Makes sense. Why my wife handles most of this 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
          I argued myself last year and got $80k knocked off... so I would have to pay this service $24k for doing what I did in 1 hour? Somebody wins in that deal...
          RR 314 Nailed it. 30% of what they save you, and you're talking about the assessed value.
          Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Yup. I have many friends who had family lake houses in Austin (most without homestead protection) and they simply couldn't justify keeping them due to taxes.
          My parents sold our house on Lake Austin in 2010 because and they even had Homestead Exemption- it unfortunately costs a small salary to 'rent' what you already own. Looking at what Lake Austin house values are now, it makes them/us sick to have sold then...

Comment

Our property didn't increase any at all. Not one dollar. Still fighting because every single person needs to fight it so we can all have low taxes.

Comment

Wife just let me know the nugget of good news about our increased appraisal.
              I protest every year.
              Will again this year.

Comment

I'm thinking I may protest this year. My house value did not increase much, but the value of the 1 acre my house sits on more than doubled according to them.

Comment

Thanks to you guys for bringing this up. Parker county hasn't sent theirs out to everyone I know.

I checked mine out and it went up $232,000. That isn't what it went up to, that was the increase amount.

Comment

I will protest again. No improvements to our property, house, land, etc. We actually had some negative things happen and the dang thing still went up $21k. For those of you that are protesting, what are some of the reasons that you put down in the protest? Do you just say that "how can the appraisal go up when we have not made any improvements" or is there some special thing you can say to get them to lower the appraised value by $80k? Just wondering exactly what I need to say or do to get them to lower it. This is outrageous and my taxes have gone up $500 real money each year.

Comment

I spent more on taxes now than I did on principle, interest , taxes , insurance, and PMI on my 100 year old house than when I bought it 20 years ago

Comment

In my part of town its terrible and just part of living sorta close to downtown.

I just wish they didn't waste the money like they do.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                          I will protest again. No improvements to our property, house, land, etc. We actually had some negative things happen and the dang thing still went up $21k. For those of you that are protesting, what are some of the reasons that you put down in the protest? Do you just say that "how can the appraisal go up when we have not made any improvements" or is there some special thing you can say to get them to lower the appraised value by $80k? Just wondering exactly what I need to say or do to get them to lower it. This is outrageous and my taxes have gone up $500 real money each year.
                          In my case, I bought the house FSBO 9 months before DCAD sent me their ridiculous appraisal. I had another appraisal on file from when I purchased the home 9 months before that was significantly less. They argued my purchase was not market value. I argued market value is what is agreed upon by the buyer/seller and not my fault people overpaid around me. We settled on half of their $160k increase... still, their assessed value is $40k more than what I paid so the equity is nice, just hate the taxes. No raise this year so prob evened out in the end.

Comment

last year they didn't revalue mine, this year they did +20% but 10% limit on the increase per the law, still under market value but i will protest.

anyone recommending property tax consultant/protester in DFW is appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                              last year they didn't revalue mine, this year they did +20% but 10% limit on the increase per the law, still under market value but i will protest.

anyone recommending property tax consultant/protester in DFW is appreciated!
                              What leg do you have to stand on for protest if their appraisal is under market value?

Comment

I had made an offer on a 3 bedroom 2 bath home in Rockport. Planned on using it on the weekends and Airbnb rentals. I spoke with a few folks that are smarter than me and they said I might break even at the end of the year after paying income tax on the rentals and property tax, and that dont include maintenance. I thought about a little more and did not make a counter offer.

I think it is getting out of hand, we gonna have to pay income tax or charge more sales tax and eliminate property tax.

Comment

Working...
                                X