Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Design Opinions - will 2 bucks eat from this protein tube at same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Opinions - will 2 bucks eat from this protein tube at same time?

Building a protein feeder using Hammer System. Wanting a single down spout and a split feed head that can feed two deer/bucks at once, but want them on the same side of the feeder. I’m using 4” square tubing which I’ve used before and works fine. Below is my “Y” design drawn from an aerial view. With the angle and the inside edge of both feed openings being 5.5” apart, do you think 2 bucks would eat at same time or are the openings too close together?

Drawing is aerial view:

My attempt at 3D sketch:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the distance between tubes? If you had 2 bucks with a decent spread I can't see that they will both be that close at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
      What's the distance between tubes? If you had 2 bucks with a decent spread I can't see that they will both be that close at the same time.

Like the drawing shows, edges are 5” apart and center to center would be 9-10 inches apart.

Comment

I would think they probably will not if tube openings are that close. If you extend the tubes to where you have a space about 24” or so or just open that angle up between the two tubes I think you could get two bucks at a time. I’ve never seen bucks feed with their heads that close to one another but hey you never know, I’m no expert, might work the way you have it drawn up.

Comment

I think that Krivoman’s are pretty close, just not sure about the different angle.

Comment

You'd be surprised what bucks will do with each other [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure reason for having 2 tubes on same side. Deer having a tube their own is one thing but having to share the same place to stand is gonna be an issue. I am sure they will take turns but not nbn sure they will eat side by side standing right ne t to each other

Comment

Thanks for all the input.... Decisions decisions......

Comment

We used to use a feeder that had a tube coming down and four trays. One on each side. The bucks would only eat opposite from each other. I had my son build some feeders with a spout on each side of the bin so they weren’t looking directly at each other. They immediately ate from all four sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
                    We used to use a feeder that had a tube coming down and four trays. One on each side. The bucks would only eat opposite from each other. I had my son build some feeders with a spout on each side of the bin so they weren’t looking directly at each other. They immediately ate from all four sides.
                    So maybe I need to put a divider plate between the two tubes so to act as a visual barrier.....

Comment

Their racks are gonna bump be-n that close together. I don't think they ain't gonna like it much. The further apart, or more distance they feel they have between each other, I'd think the more they feel they ain't infringing upon one another. There is still a pecking order, even though there is not a "rut". I'd give at least 24" between feed mouths, minimum. More if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                        You'd be surprised what bucks will do with each other [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
                        Hahahahahaha

Comment

Do you not have room to just make a T where they are opposite each other?

Comment

Originally posted by WBA2000 View Post

I might just have to do that exact thing. I should still be able to keep them on same side of feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by WBA2000 View Post

I want to keep overall height of feeder as low as possible due to location and efforts it will take to get feeder back there. Instead of feed dropping straight down as in a typical feeder, I want it to flow to the outside of feeder so deer aren’t standing under hopper and therefore hopper can be lower to the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X