6V Solar Panel's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6V Solar Panel's

Does anyone run a solar panel on their 6V powered deer feeders? If so, what do you use/recommend? I have a few 12V feeders with solar panels but I was thinking about putting a panel on a 6V feeder that I have.

Given the feeder location, it only gets half a day or so of sun exposure. I was wondering if this would be enough to keep a re-chargeable 6V battery charged enough to run a feeder for an extended period of time (~3 months).

I buy the ones that Buccees sells. Works well for me and affordable.

Comment

Like 220 said. Get them from Buccees or Acadamy, they should work fine. I have 2 6v feeders with 2 different panels. Very old, don't remember where I got them or what brands. At least 10 to 15 yrs each. SLA 6v 4.5ah batteries last for years too. They should always have enough power for your timer, until the battery goes bad. Not sure about the half day sun, but give it a try. Raccoons cutting the wires is another story.

Comment

I just use cheap Wild Game Innovations 6v solar panels on all of my feeders and never have any issues with batteries running low in a short amount of time. Even my "deep woods" feeder that doesn't get much sun will run all season without having to worry about the battery dying.

Comment

You must protect the wires from coons.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            You must protect the wires from coons.
            Yes, this is a must. Doesn't take long for coons to find and chew any exposed wires. I make my own varmint cages for all of my feeders and install the solar panel just above the edge of the cage, then run the wires between the cage and the body of the feeder to help protect them.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would think you would be fine with a 6v solar panel. I have several that I got from Academy. They come with a metal cable on the wires to prevent raccoons and squirrels from chewing them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X