Rookie Bow Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Understand that you can get into this past time with out spending a thousand bucks. A good combo package from Bear for less than 500 would be just fine. Many people with thousands of hours in the stand use good inexpensive equipment
    Yep! I’ve killed deer with a stick with a string tied to both ends! Your equipment is only as good as you are with it. No matter the price. Some may fit you better than others but it really ain’t much different at the end of the day.

My advice..

1. Never shoot at an animal further than your confident
    2. Keep razor sharp broadheads
    3. Even with a good shot give it an hour before you look. Even longer with a bad shot.
    4. Always keep your head up in hunting and shooting. Nothing good ever came from a negative attitude.

I’d say live it and breathe it but that is automatic.

Comment

As others have said, West Houston Archery or Texas Archery. Both are great shops. I was in West Houston last week and they had 3 used Mathews for sale, didn’t get a look at the price, but I’m sure they were affordable. Something like that would be my advice before jumping into it full force. Once you actually figure out of you like it or not (which you will), then you can got ahead and jump in and drop the $1k+ for good quality, brand new gear.

Let the shop measure you, and get it set up right. West Houston definitely has an indoor range, but I’m not 100% sure if they do lessons. Texas Archery definitely has an indoor range and I am 100% sure they do lessons.

It brings an all new appreciation to hunting. Makes killing a doe like shooting the best buck of your life with a rifle. I don’t shoot deer, or anything but birds, with a gun unless it’s just cull time and we need to take some out, or I’m with my little kids and getting one in bow range isn’t possible.

Comment

Welcome to the highest of high's and lowest of low's. It isn't easy my friend. It's the greatest rewarding hunting experience you could ever achieve.

Comment

OP,

The biggest thing is going to a good Archery shop. Seems like a lot has been recommended.

When you get there, like someone else has already said, let them know you're new and what your budget is.

You need a fully set up bow, arrows, release, and probably lessons.

Most shops I walk in don't have a single bow set up and rigged for under a grand, but if you tell them what your budget is, they can work with you. Most people just walk out and don't say a thing.

Another thing like most have said try different bows. You will be surprised at how different bows feel in your hand and the feel they have when you draw back on them.

Lots to learn and it is addictive. I probably enjoy flinging arrows more than hunting.

Ok maybe its equal.

Comment

Welcome!
            Lots of good advice here,so far.I agree with buying a used bow.I always buy one that I can sell..Mathews/Bowtech both seem to sell easily.
            Practice from a tri-pod from time to time if you're gonna hunt from elevated stands.When you stick a critter,wait an hour before you go looking for it.When it's been an hour,wait another 30 minutes!
            You'll love hunting with a bow!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you were closer to College Station, I'd offer you lessons. But alas, you are not.

I think from what I've heard about West Houston Archery, that is a great recommendation.

Comment

One of the biggest mistakes new archers make is not getting a proper measurement of their draw length. Go to a good shop and have them measure you. Shooting the wrong draw length creates all kinds of problems. Once you find your draw length then you can shop around for a bow you like. There are some bows on the market that are adjustable, but most are draw length specific. Be careful buying a used bow that is not the right draw length, as many times cams are expensive, and by the time you buy the new cams for your dl then you are where a new bow would cost. NEVER store your bow in your vehicle both for theft reasons, and the heat that builds up in your vehicle can cause limb damage as well as string and cable damage. Welcome-if you are looking for a cheap hobby you are in the wrong place. It is addictive and expensive, but it is also awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith816 View Post
                  Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the sport and would like to start shooting. I have no idea what bow to buy or how to shoot... is there someone who can help out and get me started? I live near Katy TX and would like find a place to practice and get introduced to archery!
                  I was in your position last year and would recommend taking a lesson or two to start with the folks on the second story of West Houston Archery. Very helpful in understanding the basics and getting the fundamentals right. After that it is just practice.

Comment

Working...
                  X