Saying Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying Thanks

While in Llano I was invited by my neighbor across the road to harvest some doe as he is OVER RUN with them. He operates a high fence ranch and has to take a quota of doe a year. I offered how much and he said he would give them to me for free. I will take advantage of this generous offer when I return from work in December, however I dont like being in someone's debt. I would like a way to show my appreciation and gratitude to him as he simply asked me and I gave no indication that I wanted to hunt there. He is a gentleman in his mid 70s and I'm not sure if he drinks or not, so a fine glass of bourbon or wine is out. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe a sign for his ranch if he doesn’t have one already?

Comment

A nice custom knife.

Comment

give him a nice knife

Comment

Ain't a man alive that don't like a good pocket knife!!

Comment

Personally, I'd send a hand written letter and gift after hunting. You can figure out what he likes or wants during the hunt and then send a more meaningful gift based off what you learn about him. I had a buddy that let me hunt his place and he said, "man I sure like that tac light on your rifle" while we were dispatching hogs. Guess who got a Surefire M600DF in the mail the next week.

EDIT: I've let a lot of buddies hunt with me over the years, I have a box filled with pocket knives somewhere. Just my 0.02.
            Last edited by yotethumper; 10-29-2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Custom Pocket knife and a gift certificate to the Badu House there in Llano.

Comment

Sounds like it’s more like a gift, not a loan, so no need to feel indebted IMHO. However, nothing wrong with expressing your appreciation. Knives are always a great guy gift...

Comment

Sometimes, the most generous gift you can offer is the heartfelt thank you and a handshake. Especially older folks. They are more blessed to see you have success than to have you give them something in return for their invite.

Comment

Ask what work needs to be done on his ranch. If you are handy with tools, welding etc.... is a bonus. Don't offer to help..like "if ya ever need help let me know". I promise you there is always work that needs to be done.

Comment

Personally, a simple thank you would be good in my book. Your helping him also

Comment

Hunt

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                        While in Llano I was invited by my neighbor across the road to harvest some doe as he is OVER RUN with them. He operates a high fence ranch and has to take a quota of doe a year. I offered how much and he said he would give them to me for free. I will take advantage of this generous offer when I return from work in December, however I dont like being in someone's debt. I would like a way to show my appreciation and gratitude to him as he simply asked me and I gave no indication that I wanted to hunt there. He is a gentleman in his mid 70s and I'm not sure if he drinks or not, so a fine glass of bourbon or wine is out. Any help would be appreciated.
                        I'm glad I am not the only one that says thanks and is thankful. In today's world, people expect things for free and don't appreciate anything IMO!
                        Get to know the man and then buy him something personal!

Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Ain't a man alive that don't like a good pocket knife!!
                          Its obvious you've never been to a Starbucks

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            Ask what work needs to be done on his ranch. If you are handy with tools, welding etc.... is a bonus. Don't offer to help..like "if ya ever need help let me know". I promise you there is always work that needs to be done.
                            This sounds like a great idea and could potentially lead to more hunting opportunities also

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                              Its obvious you've never been to a Starbucks

That was awesomeness.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Working...
                              X