Perfect Venison Steak (ELK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    You might try a good hot cast iron pan, its probably the thicker sear/crispiness your tastebuds like. I know I am not the biggest fan of a pear burner, but my cast iron gives a really good texture.
    I do a combination of cast iron and weed burner sometimes. Get the skillet good and hot drop in the steaks and hit the top with the flame flip for the other side then a big pad of butter and spoon it over to finish.

Comment

awesome

Comment

Looks delicious

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
          Oh I’ve tried beef, venison, chicken, ribs, fish is ok but still I like it fried, it’s just not the same. I will use the soue vide for reheating pre cooked meals ( instead of a crock pot) when we go hunting.We normally place the precooked meal in the crock pot on warm all day, then when we get back in the evening at 10-11 its ready. But even then it’s over cooked on some things. So if I try the same thing with the soue vide, I understand it should not “ cook” more as long as the temp. is the same as it was originally cooked. Is that correct ? And the pear burner is now a weed burner.
          Man, I don't see to often someone say they didn't like sous vide cooked venison. Everytime I make it people say it's the best they've ever had. I cook to 129°F and it comes out perfect. I'm not a huge fan of the pear burners. I like searing in cast iron.

In the past a few of my buddies have bought a sous vide and said the texture wasn't right when they tried it themselves. In every case they went straight from the bag to the cast iron to sear it. It's extremely important to dry the meat off with paper towels to get the proper "crust" on the outside. If there is a lot of moisture on the meat it will try to evaporate before you get a good sear on it. Which makes it mushy. Maybe that was an issue?

If you leave it in the sous vide for an extended amount of time it will be similar to a crock pot. The meat won't get any more "done" than the temp you have it set at, but it will break down the protein and become more tender. I did a skirt steak once at 135° for 12 hours. I tried to grab it with a pair of tongs and the meat fell apart. Looked and ate similar to barbacoa.

Generally, the common standard for steak is anything over 4 hours in the sous vide will break the meat down more than most would like.

My go to recipe is for backstrap is to cut however much backstrap I will need and leave it in one piece, vacuum seal it, sous vide at 129°F for 90 minutes, pull it and pat it dry, liberal dusting of salt; pepper; and garlic powder; heat up a cast iron skillet with ghee or some other high heat oil (no olive oil or butter), sear it, then cut it into medallions. It never fails to impress.

Comment

^Very well said. I spent a good deal of time researching and cooking to learn the things that he shared in a single post.
            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 07-26-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
              Man, I don't see to often someone say they didn't like sous vide cooked venison. Everytime I make it people say it's the best they've ever had. I cook to 129°F and it comes out perfect. I'm not a huge fan of the pear burners. I like searing in cast iron.

In the past a few of my buddies have bought a sous vide and said the texture wasn't right when they tried it themselves. In every case they went straight from the bag to the cast iron to sear it. It's extremely important to dry the meat off with paper towels to get the proper "crust" on the outside. If there is a lot of moisture on the meat it will try to evaporate before you get a good sear on it. Which makes it mushy. Maybe that was an issue?

If you leave it in the sous vide for an extended amount of time it will be similar to a crock pot. The meat won't get any more "done" than the temp you have it set at, but it will break down the protein and become more tender. I did a skirt steak once at 135° for 12 hours. I tried to grab it with a pair of tongs and the meat fell apart. Looked and ate similar to barbacoa.

Generally, the common standard for steak is anything over 4 hours in the sous vide will break the meat down more than most would like.

My go to recipe is for backstrap is to cut however much backstrap I will need and leave it in one piece, vacuum seal it, sous vide at 129°F for 90 minutes, pull it and pat it dry, liberal dusting of salt; pepper; and garlic powder; heat up a cast iron skillet with ghee or some other high heat oil (no olive oil or butter), sear it, then cut it into medallions. It never fails to impress.
              Funny just today I watched Guga from Sous Vide Everything Youtube channel do an experiment where he sous vide'd a NY Strip @122 for A WEEK!

They actually liked it but said it was more like pot roast in texture.

Comment

That looks great. I see a sous vide setup in my near future.

Comment

Sous vide is definitely the way to go as far as venison is concerned. For the couple comments about not liking the method, I will add another voice to the “pay it dry” recommendation.

Also, check your temps and times. My favorite venison steak settings are 130 degrees for no more than 3 hours. (2 hours is about perfect).
                  Pat dry, then seer it how you like. With venison, a cast iron skillet with smoking hot ghee is my absolute favorite. The seerzall is my second favorite.

I really don’t think there is any better way to cook wild game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^
                    Just to add to what I said above...
                    My favorite recipe is to take a few sprigs each of fresh rosemary, thyme, and marjoram, 1/2tsp crushed juniper berries, sea salt, and a tablespoon of butter for each steak and seek it all up for the sous vide.

Frickin awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tonight's sous vide dinner... The last of the dove fillet poppers.

Haven't decided if I'll finish them in a hot skillet or on the grill.. Probably grill.

Comment

Really tasty. The bacon was crispy for the most part and the dove was still tender and juicy.

Comment

One never tried sous vide bacon. I always figured it wouldn't come out crispy. But, I'm not a fan of bacon-wrapped foods. You typically over cook the meat in order to crisp the bacon. But it looks like it turned out well in this case.

Comment

I never tried bacon Sous vide either.

Most poppers I’ve had end up with undercooked bacon OR over cooked dove This seemed to be a good balance of both.

Comment

looks great. thanks for sharing

Comment

Excellent points! Very, very true about drying the meat after you take it out of the bags and before you try to sear it. Everyone has preferences on the final texture. I love the taste of the butter on the steaks but I find that when i try to finish it off with a sear on the cast iron I end up cooking it more than I want. The pear burner provides that very quick, super high heat that gives me the crust that I like.
                                I cooked some axis tenderloins whole a few weeks ago. They ended up cooking for 3hrs at 130F and they were a little too done for me. I think 1.5-2hrs is ideal. I wouldn't go much past 2hrs.

I also sous vide some bacon wrapped elk steaks recently. The elk was great but the bacon didn't really work out. I think it imparted some flavor to the meat but it didn't really work that well when trying to sear the steaks with the pear burner. Next time, I'll either go without bacon or I'll take the bacon off before searing.

Those bacon wrapped dove poppers look awesome though.

I introduced 3 friends to sous vide during that recent axis hunt and they all said it was the best venison they've tasted. They bought their own sous vide and pear burners shortly after.... hahahaha.

Comment

Working...
                                X