No announcement yet.

Processing a deer ..... awesome stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to go to a lot of trouble stringing them up, now I use the hide as a table cloth and process them on the ground. If you can find snow on the ground it is great to sling the meat across. The snow will take off all the blood or hair if you get any on the meat and it's already chilled down ready to freeze.

Comment

I have done this way of skinning all my life. This year I am going to try doing it taking long strokes cutting the hide down the length of the body instead of pulling the hide and cutting in small strokes around the body cavity.

I tried the rock and truck method once and wasn't impressed with the results.

Comment

Great tutorial! That is exactly how I do it except it go ahead and take the hind legs off the pelvis while it is hanging so i dont have to mess with it on the table and no sawing is required at all. After 3 years of doing it this way I can have a deer gutted and in a cooler in less than 20 minutes.

Comment

I hate to see others wasting meat. Thanks for the step by step.

I will be sharing this thread to others.

Comment

This should be a "STICKY"!!!

Comment

That was quite a set up he had there to work with. Very informative

Comment

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.. I LOVE THIS AND LOVE THE STEP BY STEP.. I HOPE I AN SAVE THIS THREAD SOMEWHERE.. any suggestions.. i put together youth hunts and ladies hunts and this is perfect teaching material.. thanks so much.. angie

Comment

awesome stuff!!

Comment

Just posting so I can find this later and pull up at home.

Comment

Originally posted by alien77721 View Post
                      This should be a "STICKY"!!!
                      My thoughts, too!

Comment

great post

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
                          Ron must be part Bohemian the way he deboned that carcass. My aunts
                          and uncles could clean a deer that it looked like the carcass had been
                          in the desert for 30 yrs. after they got through with it.
                          My Bohemian hunting mentor taught me to take your lopping shears and cut up the bones and put them in a feed bag to take to your dogs at home. All we would throw out was the guts and the hide. The buzzards in Junction never ate good while we were there.

Comment

Very informative!! Dont forget the fajitas though!!!

Comment

Anyone use a seal-a-meal or a Foodsaver instead of saran-wrap/butcher paper?

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X