No announcement yet.

neck shots with gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love seeing the neighbor's head shots gone wrong, year after year.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MDGC0080 (Medium).JPG
Views:	7
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	24555905

Comment

Skeeter- apples to oranges

Broadhead kill by sharp blades cutting blood flow to organs(brain) and bleeding and suffocating in blood (lungs). Blade must contact the portion of the animal that will cause bleeding that will be fatal.

Supersonic projectile(rifle)- makes a cone of trauma caused by the tissue moving away from the supersonic projectile. This cone size depends on a lot of math but for a whitetail deer with most bullets in the 2500 plus speed it would effect the entire neck. Hit neck and trauma cone hits central nervous system tissue and it turns the lights out immediately.

Comment

I find myself torn on the subject.
        I have relatives that will only take neck shots, I have shot several myself in the neck and never had an issue...but every year I find myself conflicted about it...usually boils down to the situation. If I’m calm and relaxed and trust the rifle I have in hand (my 22-250 and 25-06) I will. But the larger guns and when buck fever has a say, I’ll stay on the shoulder shots.

I’m not sure why but I’m not big on the head shots. To each their own I just don’t like seeing deers eyes and brains blown out or nearly missing a head all together (a .300 win mag shooter with god knows what bullet)

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
          Love seeing the neighbor's head shots gone wrong, year after year.
          [ATTACH]928131[/ATTACH]
          God that’s horrible. Hurts to see that

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
            This is a timely thread for me. I’m taking my 7 year old grandson Saturday morning to hunt a doe or hog (MLD).

He’s got a new .243. Shots will be ~100 yds. I’ve never liked small calibers for shoulder shots, so have zero experience with them myself. If I have him shoot in rib cage (low behind shoulder) am I asking for a 200 yd blood trailing job? Or have him go for broke with a neck shot?
            .243 will do the job in the shoulder or right behind it just fine. My first 4 deer never made it more than 20 yards with that shot and 2 of them being DRT. .243 with 100gr core-lokts

Back to the original question I take neck shots on does because there isn't much meat on the shoulder as it is, put a bullet through it and there is even less. I've shot bucks in the neck when that was the only shot but I normally aim for center of the shoulder. If I am shooting a buck it isn't for meat and they don't run very far with a .300 hole in their arms.

Comment

I like how people justify that if they don’t take the shot, the deer would have gotten away. Or that it saves meat (maybe on a doe, but certainly not a mature buck), as if their five tags weren’t enough, but also end up taking their deer to the processor (which doesn’t save meat). Or that they hunt for their sustenance to begin with, because unless you are hunting public land close to where ever you live, costs associated hunting in general are way more higher than even organic beef at the grocery store.

But y’all expert marksman with one point of contact for your rifle to rest on (your barrel on the edge of the window) continue to justify making your unethical shots on a target that’s way more likely to move than a deer’s torso. Y’all are such bad asses!
              Last edited by 2coolforschool; 10-10-2018, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                I prefer them looking right at me and putting it right in the throat patch

Same here. I NEVER take a side shot to the neck.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

I always aim for the throat patch when meat hunting, that way all meat is in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                    I like how people justify that if they don’t take the shot, the deer would have gotten away. Or that it saves meat (maybe on a doe, but certainly not a mature buck), as if their five tags weren’t enough, but also end up taking their deer to the processor (which doesn’t save meat). Or that they hunt for their sustenance to begin with, because unless you are hunting public land close to where ever you live, costs associated hunting in general are way more higher than even organic beef at the grocery store.

But y’all expert marksman with one point of contact for your rifle to rest on (your barrel on the edge of the window) continue to justify making your unethical shots on a target that’s way more likely to move than a deer’s torso. Y’all are such bad asses!
                    Well dude, there's enough ignorance in your post to understand why you have the screen name that you do...

Comment

I’m not a bad (or great) shot with a rifle so I avoid neck/head shots just so I don’t accidentally blow its jaw off. I’d rather not pull the trigger than have a deer running around with half a face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Not sure how a missed neck shot blows the jaw up- sounds like head shots to me. Neck shots I take are 15 inches from jaw
                        MOPP

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                        Man, .243 should not be considered a 'kids round', or any less lethal than others, it hits hard and kills quick. Have him shoot the high probability shoulder shot and you will not track at all. Aim mid shoulder and you have six inches of leeway for a drop right there harvest with a good bullet. Deer hit in the shoulder usually drop in front of you and don't get up.
                        it's my favorite round that gets shot (right before they call in a tracking dog....)

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Well dude, there's enough ignorance in your post to understand why you have the screen name that you do...
                        the old shotgun approach.....

Comment

I don't understand how people are shooting deer in the head by accident and blowing jaws off whatnot when you're aiming for the neck. How many inches high are people having their rifle sighted in to shoot at 100 yards?....Are people sighting in their guns at all? Sounds just like one of my buddies. That rifle bouncing around in the passenger seat might not be sighted in quite like it was 5 years ago when you had 3 bullet holes almost touching at 100 yards.

If you shoot a deers jaw off while you're aiming at its neck that doesn't mean it's a bad shot to take. That means you're a bad shot....
                          Last edited by okrattler; 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

when you are culling and not “hunting” you don’t want to have to look or track. My kid was to the point he did all his work where it ended up in the road. He could back up and no dragging or looking. He is lazier than me.
                            It is a very ethical harvest. I will continue to do it and doubt I’ll ever have an issue with it. I have tracked a few when bow hunting that I have shot. Lost a few over the years. Never lost or tracked a broken neck

Rattler is spot on

Comment

neck shots

no wasted meat
                              Attached Files

Comment

straight on aim for the white patch. Turned sideways I aim for the soft spot right below the ear.

Its either a miss or DRT. Not many misses

know your gun and know your own limitations.

Comment

Working...
                                X