Man Shoots & Runs over Bald Eagle with ATV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
    Nothing like not knowing that you can protect your property from depredating animals. Btw, it's not against the law to shoot any of the above while in the act of depredating.

Learn the law.
    I don't think this is right. According to Texas parks and wildlife website, "Hawks, owls, eagles, and all other nongame birds and songbirds (except for the few unprotected birds listed below) are protected by various state and federal laws and may not be killed, taken from the nest, picked up, or possessed for any reason, and their feathers may not be possessed or sold. Arts and crafts may not include these protected species under any circumstances."

Herons and cranes aren't on the unprotected list.
    Last edited by rjtkdplus; 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

How did he shoot it with an ATV?

He shot it AND ran over it with an ATV?

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
        I don't think this is right. According to Texas parks and wildlife website, Hawks, owls, eagles, and all other nongame birds and songbirds (except for the few unprotected birds listed below) are protected by various state and federal laws and may not be killed, taken from the nest, picked up, or possessed for any reason, and their feathers may not be possessed or sold. Arts and crafts may not include these protected species under any circumstances. Herons and cranes aren't on the unprotected list.
        I am no scholar of the TPWC, (so I apologize and guess I need to learn) but I know for a fact I have been told by a local game warden that any animal can be killed while in the act of depredating.

Upon further investigation, it appears that one must apply for a "depredation permit" unless it's a fur bearing mammal. Which is total crap.

If I have an animal in the act of destroying my property, I'm taking action then. Period. Going to town and applying for a depredation permit and waiting while the govt gets off their butts to award it to me while the whatever animal is destroying property is insane.

Guess I'm wrong in that.

And yes, given the same circumstances, I might.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          How did he shoot it with an ATV?

He shot it AND ran over it with an ATV?

Drink some coffee BOB then read slower

Comment

I am no scholar of the TPWC, (so I apologize and guess I need to learn) but I know for a fact I have been told by a local game warden that any animal can be killed while in the act of depredating.

Upon further investigation, it appears that one must apply for a "depredation permit" unless it's a fur bearing mammal. Which is total crap.

If I have an animal in the act of destroying my property, I'm taking action then. Period. Going to town and applying for a depredation permit and waiting while the govt gets off their butts to award it to me while the whatever animal is destroying property is insane.

Guess I'm wrong in that.

And yes, given the same circumstances, I might.

This is America and you're free to do whatever you please. It's still against the law, so announcing your intentions to break game laws online might not be the brightest thing to do. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              No kidding. How awesome would it be to sit out and watch a bald eagle snatch fish out of your pond?

It's cool up until calving season, then you want them to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by quackNthwack View Post
                This is America and you're free to do whatever you please. It's still against the law, so announcing your intentions to break game laws online might not be the brightest thing to do. Carry on.
                I'm not sitting here advocating exceeding bag limits, trespassing and killing undersized deer, keeping small fish, shooting deer with field points, wasting game and just blatantly disregarding game laws. I'm saying that when my property starts being destroyed by wild animals, the problem will be taken care of. Just like DE Smith says, it's cool until calving season.

Apparently you've never had animals destroy your garden, eat your chickens, invade your blue bird houses and kill them, kill your pond fish, invade crawl spaces, root your lawn, pluck eyes out of calves that still have after birth on them. All of these are examples of depredation from animals that I have seen first hand. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm shooting.

Hell the Penal Code gives me the go ahead to use deadly force against a human being for destroying my property during the night time, but I can't protect my property from depredating animals???? That's absurd.

You know, I bet I speed on the way home today and I might not use a turn signal, just because.
                Last edited by UltraMax; 07-13-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  No kidding. How awesome would it be to sit out and watch a bald eagle snatch fish out of your pond?
                  I've had em fly down and snatch undersized crappie we've thrown back a couple times! Pretty cool! Always happens too fast to get the phone out and capture it on video.

Comment

I'm not sitting here advocating exceeding bag limits, trespassing and killing undersized deer, keeping small fish, shooting deer with field points, wasting game and just blatantly disregarding game laws. I'm saying that when my property starts being destroyed by wild animals, the problem will be taken care of. Just like DE Smith says, it's cool until calving season.

Apparently you've never had animals destroy your garden, eat your chickens, invade your blue bird houses and kill them, kill your pond fish, invade crawl spaces, root your lawn, pluck eyes out of calves that still have after birth on them. All of these are examples of depredation from animals that I have seen first hand. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm shooting.

Hell the Penal Code gives me the go ahead to use deadly force against a human being for destroying my property during the night time, but I can't protect my property from depredating animals???? That's absurd.

You know, I bet I speed on the way home today and I might not use a turn signal, just because.
                    Don't care what's doing the plucking, it would die.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                      I've had em fly down and snatch undersized crappie we've thrown back a couple times! Pretty cool! Always happens too fast to get the phone out and capture it on video.

I had an Eagle fly over and accidentally drop an undersized crappie in my cooler while I was fishing!

The game warden didn't believe it either

Comment

Who knows how many white headed buzzards get hit by cars every year while eating roadkill. He was probably just trying to kill it in a way that seemed most fitting. Its just a bird. Everyone calm down.

Comment

100k for killing a bird...same government pays for babies to be killed...we are a wack country.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                            100k for killing a bird...same government pays for babies to be killed...we are a wack country.

Comment

Don't agree with the shooting. Whatever punishment he gets is deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                                Exactly!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X