Man Shoots & Runs over Bald Eagle with ATV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man Shoots & Runs over Bald Eagle with ATV

I hope they throw the book at this bleepty beep beep.

Man pleads Guilty to Shooting Bald Eagle then running over it with ATV

This is a rather maddening story.

A homeowner in Smithfield, Virginia by the name of Allen Thacker was irritated when a bald eagle kept eating fish from his pond and hunting small game on his property.

So, according to court records, the 62-year-old man attempted to scare away the bird with a warning shot using his Remington .22 caliber rifle. When the bird kept coming back, Thacker shot to kill.

Except a poor shot from Thacker left the bird badly wounded, but still alive. So what did Thacker do?

He hopped on his red Yamaha ATV and drove over the bald eagle, an official national symbol of the United States.

Of course, Thacker originally denied killing the bird, but a witness testified otherwise, saying they saw Thacker circle and run over the eagle at least three or four times, then drag the bird’s body into the woods.

He would eventually plead guilty to violating the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, and faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine. He will also have to turn over his rifle to the government and pay $960, or half the value of the ATV.

All the details can be found in the press release from the Department of Justice below:

NORFOLK, Va. – A Smithfield man pleaded guilty today to killing a bald eagle, first shooting and wounding the bird, then finally running over it with his all-terrain vehicle.

According to the statement of facts filed with the plea agreement, Allen H. Thacker, 62, shot the bald eagle because he was upset it had been hunting and taking fish from a pond located on his property. Court records indicate Thacker first tried to scare the bird away with a warning shot. When that did not work, Thacker shot the bird with a Remington .22 caliber rifle. According to a necropsy performed on the dead eagle, Thacker’s initial shot wounded the bird, but blunt force trauma to the bird’s skull proved fatal. Though Thacker initially denied it when interviewed by investigators, a witness reported having seen Thacker drive over the bird with his all-terrain vehicle. In Court records filed with today’s guilty plea, Thacker fully admitted to shooting the bird and running it over with the all-terrain vehicle.

Thacker pleaded guilty to unlawful taking of a bald eagle, and faces a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $100,000 fine when sentenced on October 23. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

Dana J. Boente, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, made the announcement after U.S. Magistrate Judge Douglas E. Miller accepted the plea. Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph L. Kosky is prosecuting the case.

The case was investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service after receiving a referral from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Conservation Police.

A copy of this press release is located on the website of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. Related court documents and information is located on the website of the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia or on PACER by searching for Case No. 2:17-mj-291.

Comment

I don't have much patience for a man that would treat an animal that way for fun.

Federal penalties are usually mitigated to 10 percent so he will pay 10K I imagine.

Comment

Dumbazz...

Comment

He shoulda just killa DNC staffer and he could got away with it.

Comment

i'm not gonna lie . . . . if I had a pond and a bald eagle was catching fish out of it I'd go buy more fish

what a jack wagon

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
              i'm not gonna lie . . . . if I had a pond and a bald eagle was catching fish out of it I'd go buy more fish

what a jack wagon
              No kidding. How awesome would it be to sit out and watch a bald eagle snatch fish out of your pond?

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                I don't have much patience for a man that would treat an animal that way for fun.

Federal penalties are usually mitigated to 10 percent so he will pay 10K I imagine.
                Where did you read he did it for fun?

He was trying to protect the fish in his pond and small animals on his property. He had already gave warning shots and was frustrated then shot to kill when the eagle wouldn't stay away. I don't see anything about it being fun for him.
                Last edited by AntlerCollector; 07-13-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I wish I had a bald eagle fishing in my pond. Like others said, it would be cool as heck. I'd buy more fish, and hope he stayed around

Comment

The bald eagle thing is getting out of control in the NE and NW. On that deadliest catch show I have seen 10 sitting on poles in the back ground.
                    This idiot did everything wrong, and a lot of people are mad they can not have a cat in the back yard...

Just saying.

Was on the river outside of Maryland last year and looked up into a tree and it was full of Mexican Buzzards. What the heck......

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      No kidding. How awesome would it be to sit out and watch a bald eagle snatch fish out of your pond?

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What an idiot, I love seeing them hunt out on the lakes. Wish I had a place where I could sit on the porch and do the same thing.

"According to a necropsy performed on the dead eagle, Thacker’s initial shot wounded the bird, but blunt force trauma to the bird’s skull proved fatal"

Our tax dollars at work. Did it really matter if it was the gunshot or the ATV that killed him?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Where did you read he did it for fun?

He was trying to protect the fish in his pond and small animals on his property. He had already gave warning shots and was frustrated then shot to kill when the eagle wouldn't stay away. I don't see anything about it being fun for him.
                          Well it ain't fun now is it ?

Comment

Hope they throw the book at him!

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                              The bald eagle thing is getting out of control in the NE and NW. On that deadliest catch show I have seen 10 sitting on poles in the back ground.
                              This idiot did everything wrong, and a lot of people are mad they can not have a cat in the back yard...

Just saying.

Was on the river outside of Maryland last year and looked up into a tree and it was full of Mexican Buzzards. What the heck......
                              Agreed 100%. I grew up in WI, its nuts how many there are. They are not so majestic eating dead deer on the side of the road, spreading disease, getting smoked by cars driving by. It's like hitting a bowling ball. And his treatment of the animal is wrong, no matter bald eagle, deer, turkey, rabbit. Nothing should suffer.

Comment

Working...
                              X