Texas Property Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
    In Texas RVs are considered personal property (as opposed to Real) so yes, they aren't taxed like homes are.

Similar thing happens when you have 5 kids living in a 50k house going to school while the couple down the street in a 500k house only has one or two kids but pays 10x more in property taxes.
    Probably paying a lot more than 10x with exemptions on a $50000 homestead.

Comment

Problem is your paying over 1k a month in taxes till you die to send your 1 kid to a school plus all the other county stuff. 13k is a lotttt of money

Comment

Don’t forget you get to pay income tax on the profits realized from the RV park. Uncle Sam gotta get his too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s based on “market value,” unrealized gains don’t matter till you go to sell it. And then you get hit with a whole ‘nother tax.

I was using it as a reference. Gains become realized once you sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
            Try living in a state with state and local income taxes.
            Try moving out of that state, just don't bring the BS when you do.

Comment

The issue there wasn't the taxes themselves but "taxation without representation."

Britain f'ed around and found out.

Yes they did!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Don’t forget you get to pay income tax on the profits realized from the RV park. Uncle Sam gotta get his too.

Kirk, no doubt and thank you and your company for the new HEB right around the corner from my house and the RV park. Seriously every time I went by the HEB construction site your guys were getting it, even late into the night. I total understand running buisness and everyone wants their cut. I just think Texas system is antiquated and needs to adjust. There should be some kind of adjustment for multifamily income producing families.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                  Kirk, no doubt and thank you and your company for the new HEB right around the corner from my house and the RV park. Seriously every time I went by the HEB construction site your guys were getting it, even late into the night. I total understand running buisness and everyone wants their cut. I just think Texas system is antiquated and needs to adjust. There should be some kind of adjustment for multifamily income producing families.
                  I totally agree with you. I owned duplexes for a while, my property tax bill was ridiculous and then I got to pay federal taxes on my gains. I got to keep what was left over. Oh yeah, then I sold it and got to pay taxes on those gains.

Thanks for the compliment on my guys. Those guys work hard and take a lot of pride in what they do. Enjoy the new HEB.

Comment

I have the same value house that I did in Texas here in Oklahoma and make more money than I did in Texas. After paying both property tax and state income tax I am still coming out $6k ahead.

Comment

No state income tax has always been Texas claim to fame. They make it up in property tax. I think when you turn 65 your tax rate is frozen. But they get around that by continually raising the value of your property. Somebody has to pay for the invasion down south.

Comment

It’s totally off the rails! I have a 7 acre lot no house, that was taxed at 98k last year, they upped it to 250k in one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
                          It’s totally off the rails! I have a 7 acre lot no house, that was taxed at 98k last year, they upped it to 250k in one year.

If you’re not protesting every year you should be. They dropped mine by $48,000 this year when I protested it.

Comment

OP, I feel your pain.

Already told the wife when we retire we are going to have to move. I can see us fast approaching a $12K property tax bill the way things are currently going.

Comment

By comparision, Texas property taxes aren't the worst.

My brother lives in Connecticut and that state has some serious property taxes - they tax your land, your house, your vehicles, your trailers, your boats, and a general "furnishings" tax, all property every year, and that's after you pay the state sales tax when you buy these things. Then they have a significant state income tax in which no property taxes can be deducted.

I suspect that California is along the same lines.

So yes, our land / home property taxes seem high but by comparison, Texans do not pay as much as many states. On the other hand, many states pay less but they also have income taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                                By comparision, Texas property taxes aren't the worst.

My brother lives in Connecticut and that state has some serious property taxes - they tax your land, your house, your vehicles, your trailers, your boats, and a general "furnishings" tax, all property every year, and that's after you pay the state sales tax when you buy these things. Then they have a significant state income tax in which no property taxes can be deducted.

I suspect that California is along the same lines.

So yes, our land / home property taxes seem high but by comparison, Texans do not pay as much as many states. On the other hand, many states pay less but they also have income taxes.

I dont disagree with you at all check out this link which shows Texas in the middle of the pack.

I honestly dont think the problem is the tax amount we pay in total, the problem is how much is being driven by property tax. My post was just to highlight one way that the property tax system in Texas is antiquated and that it is burdening single family households unfairly.

Comment

Working...
                                X