Texas Property Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Property Tax

I have always been told that renters pay their fair share of property tax via their rent that the homeowner uses to pay property tax on the property.

We have an RV park that is full of long term renters right down the street.

My home appraised value is $810K with homestead its tax value is $698.5K resulting in a tax bill of $12.9K

The RV Park has a value of $1.27M no homestead exemption resulting in a tax bill of $23.6K

This park has 85 sites that each get $600 per month so I estimate annual revenue of $300K (50% Occupancy) to $600K (100% Occupancy)

So a single home that creates no income and only 1 child enrolled in school pays $13K in taxes, while an RV park that creates $300K to $600K in revenue and sends 20+ kids to our district pays $26K? Does not seem like in this instance renters are paying their share of the tax bill.

Just thought I would share another perspective on Texas Property Tax inadequacies.

Texas sucks, when it comes to property taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes! It's an even bigger racket than the DWI thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post

Try living in a state with state and local income taxes.

Comment

Yes it does, but all states have something in lieu of property taxes, like state income taxes, etc. They all want their piece of the pie and we get to supply the ingredients, bake it, and serve it up. Oh joy !

Comment

Their homes are RVs, not property, so they don't pay property taxes just sales tax when they buy. They probably should revalue the RV park to get more $$$....

Sell your house and buy a Prevost. Join the park

Comment

And our forefathers went to war over a 2% tax on stamps and tea.

Comment

Problem is the park itself is valued at 1.2 so they are taxed off that value. The revenue that it generates is not part of the property so it is not taxed via property tax.

Never been a fan of the TX Property Tax system myself but I am thankful to live in an area where the valuations aren’t as high as your area

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                  I have always been told that renters pay their fair share of property tax via their rent that the homeowner uses to pay property tax on the property.

We have an RV park that is full of long term renters right down the street.

My home appraised value is $810K with homestead its tax value is $698.5K resulting in a tax bill of $12.9K

The RV Park has a value of $1.27M no homestead exemption resulting in a tax bill of $23.6K

This park has 85 sites that each get $600 per month so I estimate annual revenue of $300K (50% Occupancy) to $600K (100% Occupancy)

So a single home that creates no income and only 1 child enrolled in school pays $13K in taxes, while an RV park that creates $300K to $600K in revenue and sends 20+ kids to our district pays $26K? Does not seem like in this instance renters are paying their share of the tax bill.

Just thought I would share another perspective on Texas Property Tax inadequacies.
                  In Texas RVs are considered personal property (as opposed to Real) so yes, they aren't taxed like homes are.

Similar thing happens when you have 5 kids living in a 50k house going to school while the couple down the street in a 500k house only has one or two kids but pays 10x more in property taxes.

Comment

if my house was that nice, i wouldnt want to be next to an rv park. the tax man is about 40% behind market value on the tax rolls

Comment

Originally posted by voke View Post
                      And our forefathers went to war over a 2% tax on stamps and tea.
                      The issue there wasn't the taxes themselves but "taxation without representation."

Britain f'ed around and found out.

Comment

I was paying $9k in Grapevine. Moved to Casper Wyoming and bought a larger home on acreage and pay $1700.00.

Comment

Property tax is essentially a tax on unrealized gains based upon estimated current value. Not on revenue or income generated.

Comment

Word
                            We will never own our homes in Tx.....at least not in the since that i pay it off and never pay anther dime to keep it

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                              Property tax is essentially a tax on unrealized gains based upon estimated current value. Not on revenue or income generated.

It’s based on “market value,” unrealized gains don’t matter till you go to sell it. And then you get hit with a whole ‘nother tax.

Comment

Working...
                              X