No announcement yet.

Civil War Diary & Sketches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess he had been wounded and was in the hospital, waiting eagerly to be released so that he could rejoin his pardners on the front?

What a cool thing to have.

Comment

I recently found out that my kin served in the American Revolution and the Civil War from Maine. I know very little about them, other than they were on my mother's side of the family.

Comment

That is awesome.

Comment

Thanks all, we are definitely blessed to have some great treasures from family on my father's side from centuries past. Another uncle from the late 1800's served as a sharpshooter in the NJ State Militia and I have some incredible newspaper clippings and medals of his and my brother has his old trap door.

Sat. Nov 26, 1864
          Went to the library to—day and got Lewis’ American Sportsman, a quite interesting book. — Equal or nearly equal to Wm. Henry Herbert’s volumes on the same subject. This book was edited by Dr. Lewis — physician. It’s his 3rd Advent and is for sale by J.B. Lipincott & Co., Philadelphia - A book that I think I’ll want after I get back.

Sun. Nov 27, 1864
          Today we had inspection. Nothing unusual having transpired to keep me from my Books. Charley Bachman payed me a visit - who by the by is promoted to 2nd Lieutenant of his company B. 47th Regt P. Vols. I am very glad of his promotion and he has my heart’s wishes of health and good luck. He well deserves his situation.

Mon. Nov 28, 1364
          Today we had another inspection of those unfit for duty - The
          Inspector was the Chief Medical Director - from Washington I believe
          - Busy as usual at Lewis’s American Sportsman. Quite interesting. Time passed quickly. Weather tolerable.

Tues. Nov 29, 1864
          I have been busy all day at my books. The weather unusually fine. - Day passed quickly - no letters.

Comment

That is really cool

Comment

Those drawings are amazing.

Cant wait to read the stories.

Comment

Great post! Thanks for sharing

Comment

This is too cool! Share all you have!

Comment

That is so very cool!!

Comment

I love old history like this. Pretty cool that your family owns a piece of it.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

This is beyond cool. It would be awesome to have that top left drawing engraved into the side of an over under.

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for posting up those journal entries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Super cool! And one hell of an artist!

Comment

Oh wow! He had talent. That is as cool as the other side of the pillow!
                                Last edited by Killer; 11-09-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X