Civil War Diary & Sketches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civil War Diary & Sketches

My Great Great Great (Great?) Uncle William Bocher kept a diary during part of his tour in the Civil War, beginning the day before Thanksgiving 1864. We donated the diary to a museum but had some of it transcribed prior to doing so. Here are a couple of the drawings his did in the diary. I'd also be happy to share some of his entries if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by kae006; 02-04-2023, 03:51 PM.

Dang that's very cool!

Comment

That is beyond cool. I'd love to see some entries.
      Which side was he on? Any prominent battles he fought in? I could not imagine standing in rows in fields and just firing away. The courage it must of taken...

Comment

amazing that was able to stay in the family that long and in great condition.
        pretty impressive artwork too
        thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
          That is beyond cool. I'd love to see some entries.
          Which side was he on? Any prominent battles he fought in? I could not imagine standing in rows in fields and just firing away. The courage it must of taken...
          He fought for the Union. I'll share a few entries at a time.

Wed. Nov 23rd, 1864
          This, the opening of my Diary I have begun upon the eve of my departure to my regiment. I am extremely sorry that I have delayed this work so long. - of writing events worthy of notice while a soldier in the U.S. Army. Still, Hospital life may not be very attractive but when one is grown in age, he still loves to look back to his days of youth. Again I am sorry that space is small in this book. I intended to procure one large enough to bring in an occasional sketch but this could not be found. Maybe if necessary funds had been on hand but I expect Uncle Sam knows what is best for his children. The funds will be forthcoming sometime or other. Stern winter seems to be coming forth. We had signs of snow.

Thurs. Nov 24, 1864
          This is Thanksgiving day. A great day for the soldier. To day he can indulge in delicacies such as turkeys, chicken, fowls, fruit. Yes, both in the front and sea & land in the hospitals and at home. Every soldier takes to—day a (colation ?) in honor of the nation & well they deserve it. We are, in our Hospital, to have a great time, & besides turkeys, chickens, fruit and other delicacies, the Ladies are to have a conspicuous part. I hope so. “At 3 o’clock.” Hasten the hour. To morrow I expect to leave for the Regiment. It is quite cold today and a stove in the Barracks is not any too comfort able.

Fri. Nov 25, 1864
          Today the weather has been warmer than usual. Charley Bachman, Charley Knauss, Sergt. Myers and others enjoyed ourselves exceedingly among the boards opposite the Sutter’s cabin looking at the laundry maids who seemed to be more lively than usual. Bill Sponster went to the front this morning & though I applied 3 or 4 times to the Doctor to have me sent there he refuses — These, blast all I have upset my inkstand, won’t the nurse blow. Our victuals were not as good today as yesterday, but I hope they will be next time. Had a letter today
          ———All well.

Comment

Incredible piece of history! I’d love to read whatever you have. Keep posting

Comment

This is so cool, and thanks for sharing it with us. I look foward to reading more.

Comment

In. Awesome stuff. Ol' boy got caught in a trap.

Comment

That is extremely cool! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

That is really cool. thank you for sharing!

Comment

That is very cool!! Thank you for sharing

Comment

Super cool

Comment

keep posting

Comment

This is too freakin cool! Awesome how y'all donated it to a museum to share with others.

I have my great great however many times grandfathers on both sides muster cards from the confederacy. This is diary is wayyyy cooler.

Comment

Awesome! Yes I’m in for journal entries

Comment

Working...
                              X