No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you guys ever fished out of or have a hog island boat works skiff? Have a friend in Missouri that has their drift boat and it is really slick, thinking about getting the skiff but can't find much info and have never seen one on our flats. Thanks in advance.

Hog Island manufacturers the World's toughest drift boats and skiffs, and leads drift boat and skiff design, manufacturing, and accessories. Hog Island manufacturers advanced polymer boats. Hog Island manufacturers roto-molded boats.

Comment

Just spent 3 days reading thru the yrs of post here, we are going to Alaska in August and I want to learn the fly for this trip. I live on the saltwater and have been a lure fisherman prodimently for speckled trout for a long time. I want to practice here until our trip, and learn the ins and outs. What would be a good size to cover Alaska and trout and reds here to get started, I'm thinking 8w from what I've been reading. Not real sure about the different pieces of rods and what differences there are in that, I'm green to this style of fishing so feel free to school me up. Also what lines best for this application and files to buy for here and Alaska. Thanks in advance, a lot of great pics posted here. Also liked the youtube posted on towns van son. Keep em coming...

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky freak View Post
        Just spent 3 days reading thru the yrs of post here, we are going to Alaska in August and I want to learn the fly for this trip. I live on the saltwater and have been a lure fisherman prodimently for speckled trout for a long time. I want to practice here until our trip, and learn the ins and outs. What would be a good size to cover Alaska and trout and reds here to get started, I'm thinking 8w from what I've been reading. Not real sure about the different pieces of rods and what differences there are in that, I'm green to this style of fishing so feel free to school me up. Also what lines best for this application and files to buy for here and Alaska. Thanks in advance, a lot of great pics posted here. Also liked the youtube posted on towns van son. Keep em coming...
        8wt is a great size to saltwater flyfish with. Weight forward fly line. It will help on learning to cast. Im sure there is different types of fly line for fresh and saltwater. I have always used saltwater flyline. The fish didn't know the difference.

When you get your rig together and start practicing, keep your casts short and increasing distance as you progress.

Youtube is your friend.

Comment

Fly on the wall

Blue Halo 7wt custom of my build and a Lamson Litespeed setup 8wt

Comment

I fish in the guad for trout here one from early last year and a couple bass from a local creek

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice fly fishing trip in my kayak.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Strip and Feed Research Stripping basket on the flats skiff

On the Laguna Madre

TFO 8 BVK blank - personal custom rod build - Galvan Rush 8 wt

1wt - 10wt - all personal custom fly blank builds. Galvan, Lamson & Ross reels. TFO, Blue Halo, MHx & TL Johnson saltwater series blanks. Fuji Titanium SIC Strippers and single foot running guides and Snake Brand fly guides on the lighter wt sticks. Tips are Fuji SIC titanium.

Lines Rio and Scientific Anglers (assorted)
                SA Gel Spun backing

WRONG POND RODS - that's my self appointed rod building op name. No blank brand devotion, I build on blanks that cast, feel, balance and or lift for application. The components on the other hand, are the best and lightest I can find. Saltwater side - Titanium and SIC for strength, anti-corrosion and Spectra backing compliance.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  8wt is a great size to saltwater flyfish with. Weight forward fly line. It will help on learning to cast. Im sure there is different types of fly line for fresh and saltwater. I have always used saltwater flyline. The fish didn't know the difference.

When you get your rig together and start practicing, keep your casts short and increasing distance as you progress.

Youtube is your friend.
                  Thanks, what would be the preference of 2 piece vs. 4 piece rods

Comment

Travel length size

Two piece - traditional 9ft fly blank = 4.5ft sections. At that length, you need a hard tube if you fly - for extra crush proof protection.

From a functional/performance standpoint, two piece blanks are stronger and have a more fluid parabolic bend radius through the bend length of the blank.

On the lighter class fly blanks, it's not as critical as it is on the 8 wt plus sticks.

Two piece and or single piece fly blanks are constructed to have more lift IE Tarpon in close to the boat etc. And the lower section is typically built with a thicker wall to support the lift point on the lower section, allowing the upper section, to have more parabolic action for the cast.

This holds for surf rods and or any longer class blank that has to cast and hold bigger class fish.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation ATW

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky freak View Post
                        4piece is more travel friendly. I don't know if it makes a big difference other than that. 2piece may be a little more resilient if you hook into something really big. Flex may be better in a two piece, again I cannot tell the difference. Heck I got a 4 piece rod that I made into a single pieceI put the pieces together to tight and cant get them seperated
                        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-17-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                          Strip and Feed Research Stripping basket on the flats skiff

On the Laguna Madre

TFO 8 BVK blank - personal custom rod build - Galvan Rush 8 wt

1wt - 10wt - all personal custom fly blank builds. Galvan, Lamson & Ross reels. TFO, Blue Halo, MHx & TL Johnson saltwater series blanks. Fuji Titanium SIC Strippers and single foot running guides and Snake Brand fly guides on the lighter wt sticks. Tips are Fuji SIC titanium.

Lines Rio and Scientific Anglers (assorted)
                          SA Gel Spun backing

WRONG POND RODS - that's my self appointed rod building op name. No blank brand devotion, I build on blanks that cast, feel, balance and or lift for application. The components on the other hand, are the best and lightest I can find. Saltwater side - Titanium and SIC for strength, anti-corrosion and Spectra backing compliance.

I need to learn to do this. That 8wt bvk matches a casting rod I had built a couple years ago perfectly. Always impressed with your builds

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            4piece is more travel friendly. I don't know if it makes a big difference other than that. 2piece may be a little more resilient if you hook into something really big. Flex may be better in a two piece, again I cannot tell the difference. Heck I got a 4 piece rod that I made into a single pieceI put the pieces together to tight and cant get them seperated

Freeze some bags of frozen peas or anything will do and wrap it around your joint. Let it sit for 15 minutes then take the cold peas off and pull apart. Worked for me!

Also, have tried to stick it between your legs and pull apart (either side of your legs) and you get better leverage.

Next time put some ear wax on there and don't leave it together in a hot area like a garage.

I was determined to take one of my old rods apart and found this on YouTube I think (or maybe some forum). Obviously, never pull way too hard or it can break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
                              Freeze some bags of frozen peas or anything will do and wrap it around your joint. Let it sit for 15 minutes then take the cold peas off and pull apart. Worked for me!

Also, have tried to stick it between your legs and pull apart (either side of your legs) and you get better leverage.

Next time put some ear wax on there and don't leave it together in a hot area like a garage.

I was determined to take one of my old rods apart and found this on YouTube I think (or maybe some forum). Obviously, never pull way too hard or it can break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thanx, I will give it a try

Comment

We are in Honolulu and depart for Christmas Island in the morning. Just finished rigging my reels. I am so freaking stoked for this trip!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X