Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
    I added 2 more does to the board and a kid shot a buck yesterday evening. Was pretty slow weekend.
    Overall, was there not a lot of game seen? I drew for the upcoming 1/18 hunt. Curious what I'll be getting into.

Comment

Scofield- You will be hunting and we will be working- I’d switch places with you. All it takes is right place right time and I guarantee that is not going to be me sitting at work

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
        Overall, was there not a lot of game seen? I drew for the upcoming 1/18 hunt. Curious what I'll be getting into.
        Everyone we talked to said they were not seeing anything. We put in 8-12 miles a day and really never saw much. We only saw one nilgai and it was only for about a second. They were also talking about canceling the rest of the hunts because no one was killing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Scofield- You will be hunting and we will be working- I’d switch places with you. All it takes is right place right time and I guarantee that is not going to be me sitting at work
          Lol right on Glen. I've read and heard it is a hard hunt. It'll just make it more rewarding.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Everyone we talked to said they were not seeing anything. We put in 8-12 miles a day and really never saw much. We only saw one nilgai and it was only for about a second. They were also talking about canceling the rest of the hunts because no one was killing anything.
            Well that makes a lot of sense. "We want people to kill something but because they haven't lets just close the gates. That should get some results."

Comment

Ok well I'm headed down this afternoon with Rods and shotguns in tow and my vacation days are already booked so if they cancel I'll find something to do down there. If it cancels or it's just slow and anyone else watching the this thread is down there and wants to shoot ducks or catch fish on the coast or shoot doves at one of the WMA's hit me up. I'm not just gonna sit at home.

Comment

Man I’m really hoping they don’t shut it down and you get to hunt. That don’t make any sense, I doubt they shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t see them shutting down but I would imagine you are on your own as far as packing out etc

Comment

Just finish going over our plan for tomorrow on how to attack laguna atascosa. The terrain has changed so much there is water everywhere and looks like the wind and temps are going to change from one day to another. Put in about 10miles in the bike today and just saw some does, 7’+- rattlesnake, 8’+-indigo snake and some armadillos. Well its gonna be fun tomorrow....

Comment

On the board. Now for the long walk back. Good luck everyone

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

There ya go, good start

Comment

Originally posted by DannyGarcia View Post
                          Just finish going over our plan for tomorrow on how to attack laguna atascosa. The terrain has changed so much there is water everywhere and looks like the wind and temps are going to change from one day to another. Put in about 10miles in the bike today and just saw some does, 7’+- rattlesnake, 8’+-indigo snake and some armadillos. Well its gonna be fun tomorrow....

Sounds just like Unit 1.

Good luck!

Comment

See better than work

Comment

Last edited by TexAg07; 01-19-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I got on the famous board at Laguna Atascosa yesterday. He’s not a monster but spot and stalk public land whitetails in Texas are pretty rare so I’m happy with him. Laguna is one of the coolest landscapes I’ve seen but is also one of the most inhospitable at times. At least on this late hunt you had to be willing to put in the work and the miles. Dropped this guy at noon, after doing a 5 mile loop hiking the entire NW corner of the refuge.. Did the gutless method in the field and hung the meat up in game bags in the shady breeze to cool down. Then made two 2.5 mile pack outs to the truck. Well worth it. Word last night was another Nilgai was down in unit 5.

Last edited by TexAg07; 01-20-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X