Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DannyGarcia View Post
    I would figure rifle there would had more animals on the board, i wonder if people didnt hunt all 3 days or might be no shows. Well i will see how hard it is with a rifle come next week. Practice up to 300 yrds i might be able to push it to 400 but only in a desperate situation for a blue bull.

I wonder if they still say there is fallow in the property and its legal to shoot? Did anyone see any by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you are hunting nilgai in units 2 &/or 3 where it is open that might be necessary. My longest shot of the five I shot in the prior year was 60 to 80 yards with the closest at about 20. Three out of the five were running shots and none of them afforded me with an opportunity to get a rest. I would concentrate more, depending on how you are going to hunt (stalking vs sitting), on reflex shooting than long distance shooting. Additional non-solicited advise would be to aim for the white patch on their throat if he/she has spotted you and is facing you. The guy who was with me on the hunt last year shot a bull at first light that was facing him in the brisket (ignoring the advise) and he pulled his shot just a tad. He tracked blood for well over 500 yards and it was clear he hit the meat of the left shoulder. He did not recover his bull. Weekend before last I had another hunter who pulled the same thing on a cow (not at Laguna Atascosa) and we tracked blood on the left side of the trail for several hundred yards. You will either kill it and there will be zero tracking or you will miss it and there will zero tracking. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
      Well the guy I told that took my info didn’t realize when I told him that I had shot two not one. And that’s because I told him twice and my wife was like I don’t know if that understood you right. By looking at the board now he obviously didn’t hear me right. I told him the first one was 250lbs and the second was about 350.

Under the current regulations for all deer and Nalgia that you kill you have to bring in the hide, head, and legs of each animal for tick inspection. When you bring it in they fill out a harvest log with your name permit number, license number, and fill out a harvest tag to identify the hunter and loaction the animal was killed in case they do find fever ticks. Then they stick each hide, head legs in a bag for TAHC to inspect later.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
        Under the current regulations for all deer and Nalgia that you kill you have to bring in the hide, head, and legs of each animal for tick inspection. When you bring it in they fill out a harvest log with your name permit number, license number, and fill out a harvest tag to identify the hunter and loaction the animal was killed in case they do find fever ticks. Then they stick each hide, head legs in a bag for TAHC to inspect later.

Yeah I do understand that part as it was in the orientation. But when I talked to the guy that took my info he never asked for exact locations of the animals just what unit it was in. I also wasn’t very excited about walking another 6 miles just to go skin two nilgai out for them to check their hides. We brought what we could for them to do their tick inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
          Is anyone else hunting this weekend?

My son and I are
          We just got here to camp this afternoon

Comment

Only problem with going in so far is when you do shoot one is getting out in a timely manner. The employees cannot help with recovery due to the furlough so you are on your own just like my wife and I were 3 miles in when I shot those two. I think that furlough has a lot of hunters rethinking their plans since there will no help. Therefore reducing the harvest totals.

This was spot on for me. I was hunting solo and at orientation they emphasized no less than 15 times not to expect any kind of help and that we were on our own to pack the animals out. The only time they could help was in the event of an emergency situation. Not a huge deal, but multiple others that I know or spoke with that have been on the hunt in the past have all been able to get assistance from staff when retrieving nilgai with vehicles, especially when one gets killed in the evening. Nobody wants to be there all night waiting for you to pack it out.

I originally had a plan for Saturday to go on a long hike back in 2 and see what I could find. Hunting solo, with 80 degree temps, no assistance available, and the fact that they said they wanted the entire hide for inspection for successful hunts, I didn't feel I could take anything short of a small WT and pack it out in time without risking losing meat. Definitely could not have done a nilgai back in there.

They said there's fallow deer in there and we had the green light on them, but I didn't see any or hear of any being seen. When I came back to the check station one evening, I told them I saw a few deer. They thought I said fallow at first and were very shocked. After I clarified they said something along the lines of them being extremely rare and only a few have even been seen. I wouldn't plan on seeing or hunting them.

FYI to those with upcoming hunts. the bugs aren't terrible, but they're still there. I sprayed down my base layers with Permethrin and never had any issues with ticks, but I have about a dozen chigger bites on my legs. I spent all day Thursday - Saturday out in the brush, so it wasn't bad, all things considered. Mosquitoes and gnats were out when the wind wasn't blowing but they weren't too bad.

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2018

I originally had a plan for Saturday to go on a long hike back in 2 and see what I could find. Hunting solo, with 80 degree temps, no assistance available, and the fact that they said they wanted the entire hide for inspection for successful hunts, I didn't feel I could take anything short of a small WT and pack it out in time without risking losing meat. Definitely could not have done a nilgai back in there.

I agree with Moose

Yes I would not recommend going in very very far due to the fact that if you shoot something late evening there’s no help. That’s not a place where you can leave your animal over night either with the heat and coyotes. Best bet is to quarter the animal and put on game cart. If you don’t have a cart I would just pack as much of the meat as you can in your pack because when you get back there’s a good chance there will be buzzards on the carcass. We had them circling over before we had even got the second one cut up. Only way I would go in far is with a game cart or wagon of some type with a group of 3 or more so you have help.

Comment

Yeah I do understand that part as it was in the orientation. But when I talked to the guy that took my info he never asked for exact locations of the animals just what unit it was in. I also wasn’t very excited about walking another 6 miles just to go skin two nilgai out for them to check their hides. We brought what we could for them to do their tick inspection.

So you say you understood the hunt requirments and that the hides, heads, snd legs were required to be brought in, you just chose not to follow the regulations because you did not want to walk back and skin them out. If you do not want to follow the regulations then dont put in for the hunts. They stated the regs in orentation, in writing, and in a text to the hunters and every other hunter that i saw was succesful and brought out what was required.

You know guys like you is what give hunters a bad name, good for the grip it and grin picture and to write about your "kills" on the internet but when the work comes you bail.

I hope one of the guys that is on the comming hunts show your post to the LEO's down there and one of the fed boys comes and pays you a visit.

Comment

So you say you understood the hunt requirments and that the hides, heads, snd legs were required to be brought in, you just chose not to follow the regulations because you did not want to walk back and skin them out. If you do not want to follow the regulations then dont put in for the hunts. They stated the regs in orentation, in writing, and in a text to the hunters and every other hunter that i saw was succesful and brought out what was required.

You know guys like you is what give hunters a bad name, good for the grip it and grin picture and to write about your "kills" on the internet but when the work comes you bail.

I hope one of the guys that is on the comming hunts show your post to the LEO's down there and one of the fed boys comes and pays you a visit.

I’m not saying I didn’t bring anything from my kill. I did bring parts of the carcasses like the man that gave our orientation asked for. They have proof that I DID bring parts of the carcasses for their tick inspection. I did not bring the WHOLE hide though. So technically I did follow the regulations thank you.

Comment

Oh hush. We were out there less than a month ago and the game warden told us : you all DO NOT have to bring hide out. The tick people can say what they want, but you aren’t going to get a ticket. Sure they will rag on you but it’s like I told them, you can go get the hide yourself if you want it that bad, they will leave you alone.
                    YOU WALK MILES A DAY, makes zero sense to pack out a hide for no reason unless your gonna mount it ( a bull)

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
                      Oh hush. We were out there less than a month ago and the game warden told us : you all DO NOT have to bring hide out. The tick people can say what they want, but you aren’t going to get a ticket. Sure they will rag on you but it’s like I told them, you can go get the hide yourself if you want it that bad, they will leave you alone.
                      YOU WALK MILES A DAY, makes zero sense to pack out a hide for no reason unless your gonna mount it ( a bull)

Thanks for clearing that up!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post

The warden/rangers specifically told us we had to bring as much of the hide out as we possibly can.

From my experiences down there it seems a few of the rules vary greatly depending on who is making them up from day to day

Comment

We were not there and packed my kids nilgai our. Could not imagine carrying the hide and bones out on our backs. 2nd one he shot was about 500 yards from road where we had a cart. We did bring hide out for a rug.

Comment

Sorry, you're wrong. I was there less than a month ago and made the board. They asked us to bring as much back as possible. There was no regulation that you have to take EVERYTHING back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                              Sorry, you're wrong. I was there less than a month ago and made the board. They asked us to bring as much back as possible. There was no regulation that you have to take EVERYTHING back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2nd that!

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                                2nd that!

3rd that!!
                                Those of you saying you “ have too bring hide back “ show me a ticket they wrote you for not hauling the hide back.

Comment

Working...
                                X