No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was out this weekend, there were so many hunters and campers everywhere! Not much movement, it was really windy.

Ready for opening weekend! Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Comment

It's looking like I might not get to make it up there for mule deer this season. I was fortunate enough to take a nice public land buck here on the grasslands yesterday. The money I had set aside for a pack and new cold weather gear for backpack hunting is now going to be used for a nice shoulder mount. He is my first buck so I can't really pass up the opportunity to get him mounted. Good luck out there and stay safe this season. I will be planning to get out there for archery season next year to hopefully not have to deal with as much of a crowd.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow that is a great buck, congrats!

Comment

Nice one!!

Comment

On the road from Tyler to LM! If I run into anyone else, may it be one of you TBH-ers! Cheers and y’all be safe. If any of you gets in a bind and needs a hand, PM me and I’ll do what I can!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWhiskey View Post
              On the road from Tyler to LM! If I run into anyone else, may it be one of you TBH-ers! Cheers and y’all be safe. If any of you gets in a bind and needs a hand, PM me and I’ll do what I can!
              Good luck to you! Wish I was making it up there for the season.

Comment

Safe travels Charlie and good luck!

Comment

FYI, the horse people are screwing things up. I went all the way in to Evan’s early early, and about 8 am I spotted them topped out at the small 3rd canyon north of the Plum Creek ramp. They proceeded to push every single canyon up to Evan’s, and I was in Evan’s when they pushed it. They never shot, so there weren’t many deer in the canyons. So don’t be surprised if they decide to saunter right through your stand.

I drove up last night to give it a try for whitetail today and to see if I could locate a muley for tomorrow. Saw 4 whitetail doe and 3 muley doe. No bucks. I know the area very well since I’ve been hunting here since 2004 and have killed 7 bucks here, and the lack of deer in the canyons is telling. Used to have no problem finding deer in the canyons. That being said, there are tracks everywhere, and two of the whitetail doe I saw were in the river bottom. I really think the deer have shifted their patterns due to pressure the last few years and are holing up in the high grass in the river bottom and moving into the canyons at night. Back to the river before daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by Log View Post
                    FYI, the horse people are screwing things up. I went all the way in to Evan’s early early, and about 8 am I spotted them topped out at the small 3rd canyon north of the Plum Creek ramp. They proceeded to push every single canyon up to Evan’s, and I was in Evan’s when they pushed it. They never shot, so there weren’t many deer in the canyons. So don’t be surprised if they decide to saunter right through your stand.

I drove up last night to give it a try for whitetail today and to see if I could locate a muley for tomorrow. Saw 4 whitetail doe and 3 muley doe. No bucks. I know the area very well since I’ve been hunting here since 2004 and have killed 7 bucks here, and the lack of deer in the canyons is telling. Used to have no problem finding deer in the canyons. That being said, there are tracks everywhere, and two of the whitetail doe I saw were in the river bottom. I really think the deer have shifted their patterns due to pressure the last few years and are holing up in the high grass in the river bottom and moving into the canyons at night. Back to the river before daylight.

Log did you park at Plum Creek and go north or up by blue west and go south? I was headed in from Blue West south to scout a little but wasn’t sure where the owner of the Black f150 was and didn’t want to ruin his stand if he was whitetail hunting close. I elected to go make camp instead.

Park rangers told me that there is somewhat of an effort by NPS and TPWD to knock down the whitetail numbers to help mule deer here. Also that they flush mule deer around the parking area when they go to check people hahaha! If I see them tomorrow I’m going to make it a point to ask about the horse guys. If they’re not hunting that’s harassment I would think. And if they claim to be hunting they have to be wearing orange. But even then it’s obvious they are pushing deer up to private lands and that’s bull crap...

Good luck to you and as I previously posted, holler if you need anything!

Comment

I’m in the black F150 that’s at the Plum Creek ramp. FYI, there were 2-3 guys that set up a tent on the north mouth of Evan’s via boat. Two boats, one is a center console.

The horse people were wearing orange and carrying rifles. The last 3-4 years they’ve set up a wall tent at the mouth of the canyon south of Evan’s and screwed everything up. This year they haven’t, but they still rode all the canyons the day before muley season. It’s a real let down to get up early, bust your *** to get far back in, and then have people blow everything out of the canyons before they can even be glassed or hunted. Rumor is that they set up camp down at Mullins/McBride for the week before muley season, blow that out, then move north, and based on what I’ve seen, I’m inclined to believe it.
                      Last edited by Log; 11-16-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I’m in the black F150 that’s at the Plum Creek ramp. FYI, there were 2-3 guys that set up a tent on the north mouth of Evan’s via boat. Two boats, one is a center console.

The horse people were wearing orange and carrying rifles. The last 3-4 years they’ve set up a wall tent at the mouth of the canyon south of Evan’s and screwed everything up. This year they haven’t, but they still rode all the canyons the day before muley season. It’s a real let down to get up early, bust your *** to get far back in, and then have people blow everything out of the canyons before they can even be glassed or hunted. Rumor is that they set up camp down at Mullins/McBride for the week before muley season, blow that out, then move north, and based on what I’ve seen, I’m inclined to believe it.

Trash. Straight trash. Maybe I’ll just hunt their fenceline then.

Comment

They were there opening weekend of muledeer seas a few years ago. 2 on bottom on each side and one up top on each side so 6 total. They drive deer back to the back of the canyons towards private land. They were hunting had on orange and had a few deer hanging up in the trees when we got to the back. They ruined the hunting for 2 days. I was ****** also. My buddy made a 5 hour drive one way for a busted hunt for 3 days.

Comment

How about we lodge a complaint with the NPS? Might not amount to anything, but at least gets it on the record.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                              It's looking like I might not get to make it up there for mule deer this season. I was fortunate enough to take a nice public land buck here on the grasslands yesterday. The money I had set aside for a pack and new cold weather gear for backpack hunting is now going to be used for a nice shoulder mount. He is my first buck so I can't really pass up the opportunity to get him mounted. Good luck out there and stay safe this season. I will be planning to get out there for archery season next year to hopefully not have to deal with as much of a crowd.
                              congrats on the public land buck and your first!

Comment

How about we lodge a complaint with the NPS? Might not amount to anything, but at least gets it on the record.
                                Ran into a couple guys from Grand Prairie today who said they saw them Thursday or Friday (I don’t remember) in Martins, but that they didn’t ride the whole canyon. Just a few of them on horses moving kind of slow.

If I see them I’ll try to get video thru binos and I will FOR SURE call the office in Fritch. If they’re in orange there’s probably nothing to be done but maybe they’ll eventually pass regulations outlawing hunting from horseback or just say no to horses completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X