So they got the verdict they wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      So they got the verdict they wanted?
      If "they" means ogg. Yes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
        I can definitely see manslaughter but not murder. I can also see this one getting overturned in appeals.
        I doubt it.

Verdicts on appeal are usually overturned on procedural and constitutional matters. Evidence was entered that shouldn’t have been, a confession violated his rights, etc. Decisions on who to believe and such is up to the trial court.

In this case the trial court/jury made their decision on the evidence from the witness stand. Not liking a verdict is not grounds for overruling. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          I doubt it.

Verdicts on appeal are usually overturned on procedural and constitutional matters. Evidence was entered that shouldn’t have been, a confession violated his rights, etc. Decisions on who to believe and such is up to the trial court.

In this case the trial court/jury made their decision on the evidence from the witness stand. Not liking a verdict is not grounds for overruling. IMO
          Word is that it would be over evidence that was not allowed. But you would know, since you have a law degree and are an expert.

Comment

Word is that it would be over evidence that was not allowed. But you would know, since you have a law degree and are an expert.
            Hopefully you are joking.

If they have evidence that should not be admitted then it will likely be overturned.

Do you know what evidence was objected to but allowed by the judge?

Comment

The insanity of Harris county.
              Yep, elections have consequences, Harris county elected who the LWL'S and their news media told them to elect. If Thompson wasn't white, HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                Yep, elections have consequences, Harris county elected who the LWL'S and their news media told them to elect. If Thompson wasn't white, HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED!
                Huh????? You are correct... If he wasnt white he would already be charged with murder. Give me a break.....always bringing race into it. He killed a man.... he should have never been involved. Eye for an eye

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                  If Thompson wasn't white, HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED!
                  I dont think he was charged at first. Then the cell phone video leaked and things changed.

Sure looks like Terry ate a straight right that night at Dennys. Not sure when that got added to the menu, but that sure ups the ante in my opinion.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The jury could still basically find him guilty of Manslaughter.

TX law changed a few years ago. It used to be in order Murder, Manslaughter, Involuntary Manslaughter and Criminal Negligent Homicide. Murder was 1st degree felony, Manslaughter a 2nd degree and Inv. Manslaughter a 3rd degree.

The old sudden passion of Manslaughter was incorporated into Murder. What used to be called Involuntary Manslaughter was retitled as Manslaughter. That was to recklessly kill someone.

So they combined Murder and Manslaughter and then renamed Inv. Manslaughter

The way it is written now the sudden passion of the old Manslaughter is brought up in the penalty phase. So a jury in punishment deliberations can reduce the punishment to the 2nd degree felony (instead of 1st degree Murder) which carries as little as 2 years and a maximum of 20 instead of 99.

Comment

There was no need to kill the man.. I'm all about stopping a threat but when he passed out it and stopped resisting it was time to stop choking him.. If I was on the jury and saw that video I would have found him guilty of killing that man too and I'm as far from a LWL as one can get.. Wrong is wrong.

Comment

What is a LWL?

Is there some other video beside the defendant laying on top of the deceased?

Was the deceased quietly peeing outside in a dark corner? Why is the altercation INSIDE the Dennys? Did the defendant follow the deceased back into the Denny's after he urinated?

Who honestly cares that much about their wife seeing some drunk dude's junk?

Comment

Sadly, these days is much safer to turn a blind eye and not get involved. Get involved because of your moral compass and you go to jail or get sued. God, I feel sorry for my kids growing up in this insanity.
                          Last edited by tbgascorer; 11-06-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Yep. A perfect example of not worth it.

Comment

Why was there a second trial?

Comment

I can definitely see manslaughter but not murder. I can also see this one getting overturned in appeals.
                                Very doubtful there is any room to over turn this on an appeal. I would expect the judge to give a light sentence based on the situation.

This really illustrated the difference between 2 juries. I expected this to end in another hung jury.

The biggest problem Terry Thompson faced was that the lady is telling him that he is killing the guy and he just keeps holding the choke until he killed the guy. Not to mention the other guy that is trying to obstruct the video saying the lady recording is going to be arrested.

Comment

Working...
                                X