Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T/Chmr View Post
    I was given this yesterday, it was found generally in central Lampasas county. Is there anyway to determine if it was made by white settlers or native Americans?
    It is about 2 ft x 18in x about 10 inches thick, probably weighs close to 100lbs. The grinding portion is about 8”x12” and probably 3-4inches deep. Found close to a spring, the theory is that as they followed the buffalo or other animal herds thru the area they would camp in the same area and as the animals moved they flipped it over left it and came back to it when the animals returned, it was found upside down.

Or is it a sex rock (just a f’n rock)
    Yell talked about the usually being found “upside down”. What’s the significance of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
      My dad was a huge collector and spent all of his free time looking for artifacts mainly all iver Central Texas. He even had a native american art and artifacts gallery back in the early 80’s. He passed away in the mid ‘90s and unfortunately my mother got rid of just about everything of value. I ended up w a couple of small cases of arrowheads that I’ve had stashed away for 20 years. Here’s one someone told me was a pretty good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Has a big sandy look to it. Very nice point!

Comment

Here is an awesome link for identifying Texas points. Thought I'd share...

Comment

Anyone in East Texas ever found anything made from this material?

Garguy?

Johnny?

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post

Garguy?

Johnny?

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Mat...d%20Glass.html
            I recall GarGuy posting about that a while back and how it was formed etc, just did a search.

Some incredible points…

Comment

Garguy?

Johnny?

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Mat...d%20Glass.html
              Absolurely. As a matter of fact, the pics poster are my pics of my artifacts and material

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Absolurely. As a matter of fact, the pics poster are my pics of my artifacts and material
                That's awesome. I would love to find one out of this material. I would think that Polk County should have some being so close to that deposit. I have a friend with 50+ acres along Long King Creek and I plan on hitting it as soon as the water gets down a little more.

Comment

That's awesome. I would love to find one out of this material. I would think that Polk County should have some being so close to that deposit. I have a friend with 50+ acres along Long King Creek and I plan on hitting it as soon as the water gets down a little more.
                  Yes quite a few manning artifacts have come from Livingston. The formation goes farther north than the map shows. I have over 300 points made of it.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 01-10-2023, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Yes quite a few might artifacts have come from Livingston. The formation goes farther north than the map shows. I have over 300 points made of it.
                    Wow. I'm a novice but have a big interest and more so lately. Growing up in the Big Thicket and spending a lot of time in the Ozarks in my early 20's I've found some things but never hunted seriously. I plan on doing more of it. I've been doing a lot of reading on material and point types.

Comment

Need opinions... Haskell or Wa****a Peno? Still trying to learn to identify.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230120_180902_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	24704653

Name:	Screenshot_20230120_180848_Gallery.jpg
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	24704654

Name:	Screenshot_20230120_180834_Gallery.jpg
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	24704655

Comment

Need opinions... Haskell or Wa****a Peno? Still trying to learn to identify.

[ATTACH]1116869[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1116870[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1116871[/ATTACH]
                        Where was it found?

Comment

Where was it found?
                          All I know is somewhere in Missouri. It was bought out of a collection at an estate sale and most of the collection was from there. Some had the county and some didn't. This one did not have the county marked.

Not sure why it censored Wash1ta Peno
                          Last edited by Pineywoods; 01-20-2023, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Found 3 in two hours today in our new spot we just found and got access to from the landowner. All surface finds. The creek just rose about 9ft earlier in the week and is just about back to where it should be. It looked a lot better on my scouting trip last weekend. The creek deposited about 2ft of sand over most of the gravel bar. Didn't dind anything great but it's a good Starr for a new spot.

Name:	Screenshot_20230127_154522_Gallery.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	24705037

Name:	Screenshot_20230127_154534_Gallery.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	24705038

Name:	Screenshot_20230127_154603_Gallery.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	24705039

Name:	Screenshot_20230127_154643_Gallery.jpg
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	24705040

Name:	Screenshot_20230127_154706_Gallery.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24705041

Comment

Found this one at our lease in Stonewall a couple of weeks ago. What is it?

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                                Found this one at our lease in Stonewall a couple of weeks ago. What is it?
                                Looks to be an archaic knife.probably in the 4000 yr old range.

Comment

Working...
                                X