2022 Handgun Hunting Theead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
    Doe down! 55ish yards/high shoulder - dropped in her tracks! FA 97/41 and XTP hand load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heck yeah! Congratulations

Comment

Congrats Randy!

Comment

This stanky boar was introduced to my 41 tonight. 60ish yards to the noggin and lights out.

Comment

A biggun congrats!’

Comment

Good shooting Randy !

Now, a question. I’ve been testing some loads in my .44 mag SBH Hunter. Looking for a fairly mildly recoiling load with Unique (because I have some) and a 240 grain Keith bullet (Hi-Tek coated by Chey-Cast). I loaded up ten with 11 grains of Unique and got acceptable groups at 50 yards. Probably gonna use them more on hogs than anything else. I don’t have a chronagraph but from looking at published velocities I’m thinking they are running in the 1200 fps neighborhood and near max for Unique but not too hot. Am I right ?
            Attached Files

Comment

I guessed on your bullet length and seating depth, but QL shows your 0.4 grs shy of max and close to 1300 fps. Knock off a few for the cylinder gap and you should be in the mid 1200's.

Comment

Thanks Whiplash, that’s what I was trying to achieve. I shot some R-P factory 240 softpoints and they were noticeably hotter than my handloads. At 75, I don’t feel the need to beat up my arthritic thumbs any more than I have to !

Comment

Finally on the board this year with a 60 yard shot from my 243 pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post

Good shooting !

Comment

Heckuva handgun kill. Congrats!

Comment

This was a little further than I feel comfortable shooting, even off a sandbag, But I shot this cull buck this morning at a google earth measured 161 yards. The CVA 243 pistol shoots like a rifle, if I do my part. The shot was on the money, and the meat is in the freezer.

Comment

This was a little further than I feel comfortable shooting, even off a sandbag, But I shot this cull buck this morning at a google earth measured 161 yards. The CVA 243 pistol shoots like a rifle, if I do my part. The shot was on the money, and the meat is in the freezer.

Excellent ! I had an Encore pistol in .260 Rem that I wasn’t afraid to shoot at 150 yards if I had a good rest. I don’t know why I sold it, guess I just like my revolvers better.

Comment

Good shooting

Comment

Heck yeah! Great deer. Great shot! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                                Heck yeah! Great deer. Great shot! Congrats!
                                Thanks Randy! Looks like you are passing on the torch. Your 2019 Handgun hunting thread inspired me to become a handgun hunter. Last season I bought a legitimate hunting handgun and shot 4 hogs. So far this year a coyote and this whitetail. It has been much more challenging and rewarding way of hunting. The handgun hunting threads have been really cool, I look forward to see everyone’s success pictures.
                                Last edited by John316; 12-19-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X