No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on all the success guys. Leaving in eight days, but I am already checked out!

Comment

Heading back out for another 4 days. Six hour drive, probably wont get any sympathy from yall headed to elk country from Texas.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Heading to Wyoming tomorrow AM. Hope to be putting up elk pictures by Monday!

Comment

The good stuff[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I bet That Smile Stuck All The way Home. Congrats on a Awesome Bull Bud

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
            Heading out to NM on Sunday and my work focus is seriously lacking!
            Good luck and tell you're dad hello and we're going to the islands end of next month

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Good luck and tell you're dad hello and we're going to the islands end of next month

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              Thanks! Will do! Good luck to you guys

Comment

4hrs left until we reach base camp!

Comment

Had some fun in New Mexico this morning. Really wish I had a tag! Could have killed both with my bow. Had another 35 yards behind some brush screaming bloody murder. Nonstop bugling action.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bone View Post
                    https://youtu.be/aecRjdqHpzE

Had some fun in New Mexico this morning. Really wish I had a tag! Could have killed both with my bow. Had another 35 yards behind some brush screaming bloody murder. Nonstop bugling action.
                    What area are you in? I’ll be in the area of unit 14 and 39 in next couple weeks (east of Albuquerque)

Comment

Congrats to all of the successful hunters! Some incredible bulls guys!

Drew a tag in Montana for my first ever Elk hunt. This was guided on a mix of private and public.

The hunt got off to an exciting start with 3 different bulls coming into our calling the first morning, but I made a bunch of rookie mistakes and never got an arrow off. It was tough hunting the rest of that day and the next two as we hiked 8-10 miles each day in the Little Belt Mountains just trying to find some elk.

On the 4th morning of the hunt we finally located some, closed the gap to about 150 yards and got setup to call. We couldn’t coax over the big herd bull but this guy couldn’t resist coming to check out what all the commotion was.

Shot him walking at 32.5 yards quartering away as he was following a trail over to the calling. That’s the exit wound you can see in the pic. He looped back around and crashed 50 yard away.

Looking forward to some good groceries!

Comment

Congrats and excellent shot!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Jet!!! Great bull!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                              Congrats to all of the successful hunters! Some incredible bulls guys!

Drew a tag in Montana for my first ever Elk hunt. This was guided on a mix of private and public.

The hunt got off to an exciting start with 3 different bulls coming into our calling the first morning, but I made a bunch of rookie mistakes and never got an arrow off. It was tough hunting the rest of that day and the next two as we hiked 8-10 miles each day in the Little Belt Mountains just trying to find some elk.

On the 4th morning of the hunt we finally located some, closed the gap to about 150 yards and got setup to call. We couldn’t coax over the big herd bull but this guy couldn’t resist coming to check out what all the commotion was.

Shot him walking at 32.5 yards quartering away as he was following a trail over to the calling. That’s the exit wound you can see in the pic. He looped back around and crashed 50 yard away.

Looking forward to some good groceries!

Congrats sir! Great shot, what head did you use?

Comment

Thanks! 125g Iron Will. Really impressed with how it punched through the opposite shoulder. Came out right next to scapula and there were a bunch of bone fragments in the exit wound.

Edit: should also add that the arrow still had enough momentum to rip my nockturnal in half as the arrow exited. Since the shoulder was so tight in there it grabbed ahold of the larger diameter nockturnal and the arrow kept going with the lighted portion of the nock still in the arrow. Zoom in on arrow in pic.
                                Last edited by Jet Black; 09-19-2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X