No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really enjoying all the pics…congratulations on some great bulls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Well done to you both! Elk hunting is enough on it's own, but doing it with a buddy and getting to live two harvests is incredible!

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post

Tagged out on bulls opening week on CO public land. Headed back to Texas today, lost weight but hauling a heavier load.

This hunt was an absolute grind and the most physically demanding thing I’ve ever done.

The best part about it was being fully apart of and witnessing each of our encounters, shots, kills, crashes, recovery and pack outs together. I watch zins bull expire from 30yds away, and we watched mine tip over 200yds away together. I have GoPro footage of all of zins bull. I turned my GoPro on when my bull closed 60yds, I hope I got the shot at 37yds, the fall over and our excitement immediately afterwards, but when I took my go pro off my head it was not on. I believe the battery died shortly after turning it on.

The plans we made were spot on and executed exactly as prescribed. 3:30am wake ups, followed by 45min drive, hike started at 4:45am to climb over 1,000’ in elevation for over a mile in distance just to start our hunt well before day break.

We made one hell of a team together and some incredible memories I’ll never forget. Met some fellow hunters back on the mountain again this year and enjoyed reuniting.

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Well done ! Hell of a bull!

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
          Got it done In the gila. Day 5 of a 7
          Day hunt. Put on 60 miles through some rough, steep **** country and it was worth every mile and foot of elevation gain.

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Wow y’all have killed some nice elk. I’m headed out around 2am to try my luck.

Comment

I'm headed up to Colorado for first rifle with a friend of mine. Congrats to the guys that have killed elk so far and good luck to the rest of you!

Comment

MooseontheLoose and I struck out in NM. We were close a few times, but heavy rains forced us into a backup plan the last day. I'll let Adam elaborate, but he was within bow range of another bull 5 times on the last afternoon but couldn't get a clear shot.

Congrats to all the successful hunters, and good luck to everybody currently in or soon headed to the mountains!
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Heading out to NM on Sunday and my work focus is seriously lacking!

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                    Heading out to NM on Sunday and my work focus is seriously lacking!
                    You are not alone! I leave tomorrow night after the ball game with the truck point to CO. Each day this week has moved slower and slower and I can't stay on task to save my life! Good luck to you!

Comment

I just got home from chasing elk 10 days in Wyoming. I was in elk everyday just too early for them to rut. 3 out of 5 guys had shot opportunities they should of executed, all bulls came in silent. One morning I had elk Screaming in every for direction for 4 hours but never put eyes on them. It was a grind but man I love elk hunting. Awesome experience. I did find a gigantic shed on public that would be a 370” bull if other side matched.

Comment

Congrats to all those getting bowkill elk. Well done.

I spent 8 days chasing elk in north central Idaho, in the area I was raised. We were in elk, had bulls responding, but none died. For a 68 year old man, it's not all about killing an elk. I will try to gather my thought and post a thread later about the journey from Dec. 1 2022 to the end of my adventure last week.

Hogboy

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
                          Congrats to all those getting bowkill elk. Well done.

I spent 8 days chasing elk in north central Idaho, in the area I was raised. We were in elk, had bulls responding, but none died. For a 68 year old man, it's not all about killing an elk. I will try to gather my thought and post a thread later about the journey from Dec. 1 2022 to the end of my adventure last week.

Hogboy

At 67 it’s about trying and thanking God I’m still in good enough health to climb up 25% grades. I’m hearing cows and not finding the bull I got on a game camera. The rut and bugling should start next week, going to another place where we know there are bulls.

Are you able to stop here on your way home for the Brewery 2 Brewery tour 9/24?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                            I just got home from chasing elk 10 days in Wyoming. I was in elk everyday just too early for them to rut. 3 out of 5 guys had shot opportunities they should of executed, all bulls came in silent. One morning I had elk Screaming in every for direction for 4 hours but never put eyes on them. It was a grind but man I love elk hunting. Awesome experience. I did find a gigantic shed on public that would be a 370” bull if other side matched.
                            Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you all. Were you in a general area or LQ ?
                            Weather is turning to fall fast in the mountains, leaves are starting to get a little color to them.

Comment

Well, no luck for me this year. Ended up getting sick on the second day of my hunt and having to get out of there. I was deep in a wilderness area, and glad I got out when I did. I was down for 5 days after that, and really could have been in a bind if I was on the mountain. Unfortunately, that was the time I'd already taken off and would work with my wife's schedule as well. Had a couple of other things I just couldn't get out of over the weekend. SO, I only had three afternoons to hunt.

I had a calling match with a nice 6x6 about 275” or so. His fronts were touching, really cool looking bull. Called him and his cows pretty close, I could hear them, but too thick to see. Finally got close enough where I could see him at 104 yards with cows. Couldn’t get him closer, and it was too open to stalk closer. So I followed where he went into a thick canyon. Then called one so close I could hear him breathing!!! Just so thick I couldn’t see. Bugling sub 20 yards and never saw him. After that I called a smaller 5x5 right at last light to about 30 yards in thick stuff, too much brush to shoot. Then he came out and was about 50 yards, I had about 5 minutes of legal light left, but it was just dark enough and far away that I decided to pass, I don't regret it. It was one of the most fun hunts I'd been on!

Saw like 4 more bulls in the dark while walking out. It was a full moon so you can see ok. Had a really big bull at 40 yards bugling! He started walking right about me! He kept walking to me got about 30ish yard, barked and ran off.

I'm disappointed that I got sick and couldn't hunt the giant I had on camera, it was just too far to hike and I couldn't have got him out of there solo. I had some great experiences, and learned more about elk.

Congrats to the successful hunters! Good luck on the upcoming hunts!

Shoot straight!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                Are you able to stop here on your way home for the Brewery 2 Brewery tour 9/24?
                                Bill, our return plans aren't set yet but 9/24 is a possibility. We have a salmon trip here on 9/21, but could easily be in your area if we go back over Lolo Pass.
                                I will keep you posted.

Hogboy

Comment

Working...
                                X