The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
    I've walked out a pair of danners and a pair of Irish setters. Both had a couple hundred miles on them in the mountains but, never was happy with either of them. Have always had to fight feet issues on every hunt.
    30 years of going to the mountains I would look at these in this order.

Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite
    Saloman Quest 4
    Lowa Renegade

Comment

The Elk Thread

My Crispi Nevadas did great in CO and were very comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am running a pair of Danner GTX Uninsulated. They have been great but this year will likely be their last trip to the mountains.

My brother is running Crispi Nevada's and absolutely loves them. He has a bad ankle and never missed a beat last year on our hunt.

My best friend switched from Danner to Kennetrek 2 years age and has no regrets other than the price tag

Comment

I’ve been wearing Kenetrek mountain extremes for 5 years, zero feet issues with an after market insole

Comment

Leave in 14 days for opening of CO Elk season. Heading up with my friends Nick, Clint and Ben. Three of us have tags and Ben is just tagging along to help and film. We will be on the chase for 12 days with OTC tags.

Can follow us if you want -

JustinInATX
            Thwaack

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
              Looks dang green this year! Think sitting water may not be as effective as normal. Have to chase them down!
              Yep...I don't think sitting water is going to be all that helpful. Hopefully they will be highly vocal like last year!

Comment

Last year I ran the Salomon Quest 4 Gore-Tex and had no issues and liked the boot. After hunting the ranch last year and talking to some of the guys I am going to run a lighter boot this year with the On Cloudrock Waterproof. The Quest is 663 g while the Cloudrock is 445 g. I am also taking my drop from 12mm to 7mm with the On's.

I have trained in the On's, but I will be taking both pair on the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                  If you wear size 12 I have a pair of LOWAs that are insulated. Insulation is way to much heat for my hiking comfort so they never got much use. I can dig them out of the garage. They are over 3 hundy at the stores. I think 40.00 plus the cost of shipping expense is a fair price if your interested.
                  Thanks so much for the offer but, I only use uninsulated. I Normally do about 10 miles a day on average and could never pull off walking that much in insulated boots. Thanks again for the offer

Comment

Spouse has been wearing Meindl, USA, Vakuum for many years and really likes them. He has wide, large feet and they fit him just fine and break in is really short and easy.
                    He likes an uninsulated , waterproof boot.
                    Very good support, we hunt some rocky terrain and ankle support is important. Not a hiker height though.

Comment

Bo,

I prefer a stiffer boot, and have been running Zamberlan 2092's and Lathrop and Sons, both non-insulated. Kennetrek, Lowa, Scarpa, Schnees, Hanwag, Crispi and Salewa all make not notch boots. Just need to try on a few and see which ones fit your foot right, and also know what level of flexibility you want in the boot.

Probably the best forum to do boot research for mountain hunting is Rokslide in their boots subforum.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        I’ve been wearing Kenetrek mountain extremes for 5 years, zero feet issues with an after market insole
                        I have some Lowa Renegades and they have been great. Was thinking of swapping out the insoles. Which ones are you running>

Comment

There are lots of good boots, but only if they fit your feet. Find whichever boot fits you the best.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          Spouse has been wearing Meindl, USA, Vakuum for many years and really likes them. He has wide, large feet and they fit him just fine and break in is really short and easy.
                          He likes an uninsulated , waterproof boot.
                          Very good support, we hunt some rocky terrain and ankle support is important. Not a hiker height though.
                          I've worn these for years, and they're the best boots I've ever had. If you have wide feet, they're awesome.

Comment

Meindl Vote!

Comment

I have run Lowa Tibet's for several years. They are bomb proof and comfy, but super stiff and super heavy. I purchased some Mammut Ducan's. I'm very satisfied with them so far.

Comment

Dam, you are all making this harder to decide on just one now. LoL

Thanks again for all the Suggestions

Comment

Working...
                                X