Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Me What You've Got: Sub-Moa Guns

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
    Buckwheat, you shooting without a rear bag?

No sir. I’m good but I’m not that good. Lol
    I do t use a rear bag out of the stand.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 11-04-2018, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      I call them wallet targets...you keep one bragger group in your wallet to show how good it can do. However Nobody ever accepts a challenge for $$$ when approached for 5 / 5 shot group average.
      I’ll take that bet. Mine will average less than 1/2 MOA.

Comment

Anytime vato , but you better check the link I posted...that 6br is short range contender & can hang an average in the 2's with good conditions. Honestly think a honor system group or score tbh short range BR shoot would be a hoot.

There is a saying that you either win or lose shooting a match shooting a PPC or variant & hope to have another some day. The 6BR / 30BR isn't too far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          Anytime vato , but you better check the link I posted...that 6br is short range contender & can hang an average in the 2's with good conditions. Honestly think a honor system group or score tbh short range BR shoot would be a hoot.

There is a saying that you either win or lose shooting a match shooting a PPC or variant & hope to have another some day. The 6BR / 30BR isn't too far behind.
          I’m not going to average 2’s. Mine isn’t BR rifle. It’s a 1000yd rifle. 1/2 MOA works well for that.

Comment

I don't do the LR game yet...that's really a different game oddly enough so not really fair to compare rigs for opposite applications.

I have a 7mm Laszeroni that will likely beat most anything at 500yds with the right shooter she's a lickety split hunter pushing 120's at almost 4000fps with the fastest time of flight to 1k but ain't gonna buck the wind with vld's going slower.

You would love it...has a 4-5" line of site to 400yds but rounds are limited too less than 1k for the 30" tube & cost like $5 for every bang. Not practical but a fun long range doe taker

Comment

My 105 VLD’s doing 3170 shoot pretty flat to 1000. I don’t claim to be a good shot and won’t ever set any benchrest records but a golfball isnt safe if I can see it.

Comment

My next project is just coming together. 6.5/06

Comment

Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor in a Boyd's Stock and Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 to 14 X 40.
                  Picture has two different bullet loads. The 5 groups on top are 123 gr. Hornady SST. Largest group is .86" and the smallest is .36" at 100 yards and 3 shot groups.
                  The three lower groups are same gun 143 gr. Hornady ELDx. Just started developing a load with this.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I don't have pics, it's been too long, but my Marlin XS7 .243 is sub-moa. When I first got it, it shot about 1.25-1.5 moa. Marlin made it with a little "pedestal" in the barrel groove that pressed against the barrel and supposedly made it more accurate. Whoever came up with that stupid idea, I don't know. I ground it off and cleaned out the groove so the barrel was completely free floating. Huge difference!

After that, it consistently grouped inside of a nickle, sometimes a dime, using my standard ammo of Federal GameKing 85 gr. BTHP, a fantastic round that comes screaming out of the muzzle at 3200+ fps. Sadly, they no longer make it, although I did manage to stash away 5 boxes, which I guard like rare diamonds.

My feeder was about 90-100 yards from the blind, so this enabled me to do high neck shots, about an inch below the skull. The 85 gr. HPBT, going at least 3150 fps, blew a 3-4 inch exit hole, and those deer were dead before they even started falling.

One note, though. When doing multiple groups with regular hunting rifles, the barrels can really overheat after several rounds and start shooting wide. Had to shoot slow and allow plenty of cool-down time between groups when I was sighting in.
                    Last edited by Ruark; 12-12-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum or . 300 Winchester Magnum), needs a rifle that averages 2 MOA groups. Those 2" groups at 100 yards will open to 6" at 300 yards. Very few hunters can take advantage of more accuracy than that in the field, so 2 MOA represents the practical limit of accuracy for most hunters.

shareit pc installvidmate.com Vidmate APK

Comment

Originally posted by eyebuck108 View Post
                        270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum or . 300 Winchester Magnum), needs a rifle that averages 2 MOA groups. Those 2" groups at 100 yards will open to 6" at 300 yards. Very few hunters can take advantage of more accuracy than that in the field, so 2 MOA represents the practical limit of accuracy for most hunters.

shareit pc installvidmate.com Vidmate APK

Yea, 6” @ 300 ain’t gonna work for me. I won’t own a rifle that is not at least MOA and dang sure won’t hunt with one.

Comment

Show Me What You've Got: Sub-Moa Guns

Bergara HMR 22” Barrel 6.5CM
                          Timney Elite Trigger
                          Area 419 Arca Rail
                          Atlas PRS Bipod
                          Area 419 Scope Base
                          Seekins Precision Rings
                          Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 Scope
                          APA Lil B*st*rd Brake
                          Short Action Precision 2 Round Holder
                          Sidewinder Precision Dope Card Holder

Total Weight with Loaded Mag = 14.9lbs

This thing absolutely loves Hornady American Gunner 140grain BTHP.

Edit: no this isn’t cherry picking. This is what this gun shoots all the time just don’t have any pictures of groups.
                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by futureagg; 05-18-2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Is there a thread for the worst grouping gun?

AR-15, 55gn .223, 25 yds.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

When I do my part....

these were during load development

Barrett Fieldcraft
                              6.5X55 Swede
                              Swarovski Z3 3-10X42
                              130 gr. Swift Scirocco
                              42.5 gr. IMR 4350/2660 FPS
                              Rem. 9-1/2

Click image for larger version