Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife & I disagree deer in ice chest ...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot a buck and it has been on ice for about 10 days in my ice chest till yesterday. I cut it all up. However, there is still alot of ice in the ice chest.

I am going hunting this weekend(tomorrow) and figured I'd drain the water out of the ice chest and call it good and take it with me and add some more ice.

wife thinks there are cootties in it and I should dump the ice and clean it out.

the TBH response is ...

Ice is cheap. Why risk it for what it could end up costing you. That's my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's fine.

For a second I thought the 350k member large "Deer Processing" group on FB found TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
        Ice is cheap. Why risk it for what it could end up costing you. That's my opinion.

what am I risking?

Comment

I agree. Likely no issue, but not worth the “I told you so” or telling you the deer tastes bad.

Just say, yes dear. Life is easier that way.

Comment

I'm in this group. It's probably fine, but I'd get new

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              It's fine.

For a second I thought the 350k member large "Deer Processing" group on FB found TBH.
              she did put it on her FB page ...She didn't like my answer

Comment

Agreed. Ice is cheap, just dump it and spend 10$ to fill it back up.

Comment

Why get new? it is ice it's freezing...Why can I not just add to it?

Comment

If it isn’t being drained of standing water frequently (1-3x a day depending on how fast ice is melting) you are soaking your meat in the blood you drained out of it. Realistically I don’t see why anyone leaves it on ice more than 48 hours. Put it on ice and leave the drain open adding ice as needed and keep all the water out.

Edit* I slightly misread. The ice that’s still frozen is fine. No need to take it out so long as it hasn’t sat in bloody water too long which would probably melt it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

new ice at buccees is $5 with the meat sitting in the ice all week its picked up some bacteria etc... I would buy new but hey its your meat

Comment

ok, I guess my question is. after draining the old ice water out of the ice chest and I have a good amount of ice left, is it, can it be "bad" ???? seems to me it is just a continuation of the cycle of life. But if it is that important to remove the bloodied ice and replace it with clean ice...maybe...

Comment

If it’s hitting water no bueno in my opinion. Should be dry & cool.

Comment

deer is gone. All is left is ICE & water. figure I can drain the water & add more ice

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              what am I risking?
                              upsetting your wife seems pretty risky to me. you've got to pick your battles. give in on $10 worth of ice and make a stand on a better hill later.

Comment

Working...
                              X