Serious accident while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
    I was climbing down off a 16’ tripod at night after pig hunting last year...I had driven a t-post in the ground next to one of the legs and wired them together for added stability...anyway, I lost my footing and dropped straight down to the ground barely missing the t-post. It caught my jacket but luckily not me! That thing coulda went straight up my butt! Thankfully I only fell about 6 feet off the ground.

Skinny
    I know of a man that died from falling off of his tower blind onto a t-post. He impaled himself through the abdomen and was able to get himself off the t-post, but he bleed to death in the back of the truck waiting for CareFlight. This happened in the Abilene TX area several years ago.
    The people at the lease thought he was spaying wasps and lost his footing or they stung him and he jumped. I do not think they know for sure what happened?

So yea no t-post or saplings cut at an angle around your blinds. It is a bad accident waiting to happen!

Comment

Wasn't really an accident but year before last I started having abdominal pain on the way to the lease out around Abilene but I kept driving. By the time I got to the lease(360 miles from my driveway) I was doubled over. Took a bunch of Advil and tried to sleep. About daylight with no sleep I got back into my truck and headed home 360 miles except I drove straight into Grapevine hospital. Acute appendicitis it was and had already began to rupture. They operated on me within the hour. Doctor told me that 4 to 6 more hours I would have been a goner had I not made it out when I did. Let me tell you, I would rather give birth I think than suffer thru that again.

Comment

Broadhead rough sharp

My son walked into my leg stalking.

This rattler was ready to nail me and I was walking without a light turned my headlamp on at exactly the right time, thank you Lord
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          The worst accident that actually did happen when I was about 14. I had shot a javelina and was in the process of gutting the thing. The knife I had was extremely sharp. The knife was slicing through the javelina like a razor cutting paper. But then I went to cut between it's back legs, I pulled the hide away from the animal and tried to gently slice through the hide, but the knife was not cutting. I finally just whipped the knife, just used my wrist, to flick the knife. In an attempt to cut the hide. Well the knife went through the hide easily. I then saw there was a thin piece of cartilage, that I had pulled up with the hide, so I was trying to cut through the cartilage and the hide at the same time.

Well when I flicked the knife and it easily cut through the hide and cartilage, I felt a thump on the inside of my left leg. The guy who was standing there watching me, got this look on his face, like that's not good. My response was, yes, that could have been bad. He said no it is bad, I thought what is he talking about. I looked down and at first saw a hole in my jeans, then realized there was a deep hole in my leg. As I was looking down in the deep hole in my leg, it suddenly filled up with blood and overflowed all over the place. There was quickly blood all over my jeans and the ground. I tried to get up, but I quickly found I had cut a muscle in the front of my leg. Trying to stand up hurt like hell. I stood up, then limped around bleeding all over the place. David, said I needed to go to the hospital, but I did not want to go. He later made a comment about being a vet, he doctored up all of the FFA animals for the kids in his daughter's school. He said he stitched up sheep and hogs all the time. So I asked him to stitch up my leg, he looked at it again and said no. That I needed to go to the hospital.

We were south of Falfurrias, it was over 100 degrees that day. We went back to camp, looked for first aid supplies and then David found about three heavy blankets. I was not paying any attention to him at the time. As we were walking to the truck, everything went black, I tried to yell out, that I could not see. But nothing came out, then I could feel myself falling face forwards, towards the ground. I never felt myself hit the ground.

A while later, I realized I was in my truck, when they started the truck, the air blowing out of the vents, had to have been extremely hot, because it was a black truck that had been in the sun most of the day and it was over 100 degrees that day. But the air felt like I was up in the artic and the air was something like -40 and a 50 mph wind blowing.
          Basically very hot air, felt extremely cold. So they shut off the A/C, David started wrapping me up in the heavy blankets he brought from the camp house. Even with three heavy blankets on me, in a black truck in 100 plus degree heat, I was so cold, I was shaking and my teeth were chattering to the point, I was sure my teeth were going to be chipped up or broken, if I survived. I tried to stop shivering and chattering my teeth, but it was way beyond my control.

I lost consciousness again, until a good while later, when we got to the hospital. As we pulled into the hospital parking lot, I could hear liquid sloshing around on the floor of the truck. My thought was, I am going to have a nasty mess to clean up, someone kicked over my 44 oz. Dr. Pepper. When we stopped in the parking lot and opened the right side door, I could hear liquid pouring out on the ground. Again, my thought was, there sure is a lot of soda on the floor of the truck, it's going to be one serious mess to clean up later.

We got into the ER, the took me to a operating room, put me on a table. The doctor asked what happened, I told him. He said, you are lucky you did not cut the artery in your leg, you would not be here, you would be dead. I told him, I think I did cut the artery, he said that was not possible. Then the doctor gave me multiple locals around the wound. Then started digging his finger around in the wound. That was a very strange, uncomfortable feeling. A very dull pain, just very uncomfortable. Eventually he decided he had all of the clotted blood out of the wound. Then stitched up the muscle and then closed the wound up. Then the blood started flowing again. He kept trying to wipe it up, but it kept flowing. So he cut all of the stitches and went back in. Cut the stitches inside, looked around again, added some more stitches to the muscle, then restitched the outside again. Again, the blood started flowing. So he went back in my leg a third time. Cut the stitches down inside my leg, the mopped up some more blood, started digging around, kept looking and eventually his eyes got very big. When I saw that, I said. I told you I cut the artery, I don't think it's cut all the way through, but it's cut. He gave me a look like you are lucky to be alive. He did not say anything, just went to work stitching up the artery, then the muscle and then stitched up the skin again. That time the blood finally stopped flowing.

When I finally got up to leave, the whole operating room floor was covered with bloody foot prints. I had bled all over the floor and they had been walking around in it. My step father had to leave, I figured out why he left the room at that point.

Later we went back out to the truck, when we got there, I saw the puddle on the ground and realized it was a puddle of blood. Then opened the door and the floor of the truck, had a pool of blood about 1/2" deep. That was scary, seeing the ground and the floor of the truck, after seeing the operating room floor. The only reason I survived, was David knew enough to keep me alive. He knew I was probably going to go into shock and brought those heavy blankets. I would have thought there is no way, we were going to need three heavy blankets in 100 degree weather. I got a first hand experience of what going into shock is really like and what loosing a lot of blood is like. You get very cold, it's very scary, once you realize why you are so cold.

Had it only been my step father and me, I would have died, there is not much questioning that. What David did, saved my life. What seemed very minor at first, was a long ways from minor. The next two days, I felt like someone had beat me from head to toe with a baseball bat. I ached all over, like I was bruised all over, but I had no bruises or other injuries, other than the knife wound.
          Out of curiosity, did y’all wrap or tourniquet the wound site?

Comment

I was at a customer's ranch and a buddy came up out of a creek bed on a 4-wheeler and rolled it. He got hung on it and it rolled over him. He died about 20 minutes later there on the ground. I drove his 4 wheeler back to camp that day. It was an awful awful event. Be careful on 4-wheelers guys and gals.

Comment

Was dragging a hog out of the brush/cactus one night with 2 others. Two of us pulling and one with a light in one hand and a scotch in the other. The light guy was walking backwards using the light to show us the way when he tripped and fell into a pear patch. Funny the next day seeing him bent across the table in his BVDs with the rancher's squeeze pulling the thorns out.

I was in my tripod clearing shooting lanes with a pole saw late one summer. Got all finished, collapsed the pole saw pole, wrapped the rope around it and threw it like a spear at the ground. What I forgot was that curved blade---hit me on the jawbone below my ear and cut a good gash and stunned me. I realized something warm was running down my face and dripping on the tripod--took off my dirty sweaty t-shirt and held it against my jaw, climbed down, walked about 150 yds to the truck and couldn't decide if I wanted to pull the t-shirt away and look, but I did. Wasn't as bad as I expected and the Army advice nurse said it wasn't bad enough to go to the ER for stitches since it didn't threaten my eyesight and the bleeding had stopped. So, cleaned it up, closed it with little band-aids and it healed up just fine.
              Last edited by dustoffer; 02-14-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

It wasn't technically during the hunt, but one night while building a campfire, I put a dried branch up on a rock to break it in half by jumping on it. It snapped very suddenly and came flipping up and broke my nose.

I was a teenager and it hurt like hell, but I never got it checked out. About a month later, a clot or scab or something deep inside my nose where the thing smashed me ruptured and all this black blood started pouring out. Had no idea what was going on, but it relieved a lot of pressure and I actually felt much better afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by krtnorris View Post
                  My bow exploded and I took 55 stitches to the head. That was an event.
                  Sounds like you could take legal action. Did you?

Comment

My dad decided to let a chainsaw eat on his leg when out trimming by himself. Got lucky could have been bad. He's had a stroke and doesn't let his lack of coordination slow him down on anything. Tied it up and drove himself to the hospital (people including family were on the property) never said a word to anybody. Just drove on by and out the gate. he's stubborn. Ended up with alot of stitches. Nephew ended up in the hospital a few days after crashing 4 wheeler pretty good

Comment

There's a class called

STOP THE BLEED

separated it hoping someone will remember it and take it
                      its offered for free. It's put on completely free by ems, nurses, docs etc usually.
                      It was developed after the school shootings due to the fact plenty of people died that would have been saved if someone knew how to stop a bleed unfortunately.

Most will give you free stuff like a proper turnequit etc. Even if not you'll know how to do some things properly. I'd recommend looking them up. It could save someone's life

Comment

Sorry, I can't match any of the accidents.
                        Pass ......

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                          There's a class called

STOP THE BLEED

separated it hoping someone will remember it and take it
                          its offered for free. It's put on completely free by ems, nurses, docs etc usually.
                          It was developed after the school shootings due to the fact plenty of people died that would have been saved if someone knew how to stop a bleed unfortunately.

Most will give you free stuff like a proper turnequit etc. Even if not you'll know how to do some things properly. I'd recommend looking them up. It could save someone's life
                          Awesome, will definitely be looking into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            I was at a customer's ranch and a buddy came up out of a creek bed on a 4-wheeler and rolled it. He got hung on it and it rolled over him. He died about 20 minutes later there on the ground. I drove his 4 wheeler back to camp that day. It was an awful awful event. Be careful on 4-wheelers guys and gals.
                            Holy **** around. Thats awful, things can certainly change in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                              I haven't told this story in a long time - Sorry for the long read:

In 1996, on Halloween night, I was in Llano on a company dear lease with 3 other guys preparing for a company deer hunt. We were filling feeders cleaning out blinds, spraying wasps etc.

Two of the guys were driving an old 4x4 Suburban and I was driving a truck. The guys in the Suburban drove off the main road to go around a rough spot when the rear wheels dropped off into a deep but narrow wet weather creek causing the Suburban to high center the frame.
                              We decided we would use one of those hi-lift ranch jacks which had a piece of pipe welded into it for the handle to jack it up and place rocks and other debris under the rear tires to drive it out. After getting it jacked up and debris placed under the tires, I placed my left hand on the rear of the Suburban and my right hand on the jack handle and flipped the switch on the jack with my boot to lower it down. I guess my leather gloves on a metal pipe made for a slick combination because when I pushed the handle down my hand slipped completely from the jack and the weight of the Suburban flung the jack handle upward hitting me in the left jaw.

The handle left a nice gash on the left side of my chin and although I was not knocked to the ground I think I temporarily lost conciseness for a few seconds. I knew my jaw was broken because my mouth was open and the teeth on my left side were touching but the ones on my right were not. When I closed my mouth I could feel the row of lower teeth on the left move back into place so that the teeth on both sides of my mouth were now touching.

I went to the Llano ER, they took some x-rays and said they really didn’t see anything and would probably just stitch me up and send me home but wanted to get more x-rays first just to make sure. Immediately after the second x-rays the doctor came in and said he couldn’t believe they didn’t see the large spider fracture of my left mandible. They gave me two injections of Demerol and sent me to Austin to meet a maxillofacial surgeon at the ER.

I had surgery the next day and had a plate with three screws installed and had my mouth wired shut for 6 weeks. At week 12 I went in for an evaluation and I showed the surgeon how the row of left lower teeth would move together when I clenched my jaw. I had more x-rays, a second surgery to remove the plate and screws previously installed and had my mouth wired shut for 6 more weeks. At week 24 I was still not properly healed. More x-rays, 3rd surgery and a large plate that extends from the right side of my chin on around to the full length of my left mandible secured with 9 screws and my mouth wired shut for another 6 weeks. After the 3rd surgery I had to have 2 teeth pulled, 3 root canals and a bridge installed.

Now 21 years later I do not have much feeling on the left side of my chin. When asked about the scar that extends from the right side of my chin and around to my left jaw I tell people I was in knife fight defending a woman’s honor and please let me know if you ever see me with hot coffee or ice cream on my chin, I can’t feel it.
                              Dang, that's the worst! I too have been hit in the mouth by an upward flying handle of a handyman jack. Those things are down right dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
                                Awesome, will definitely be looking into this.

Here you go. I have to use it in desktop version to get it to work on my phone though.
                                Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 02-14-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X