Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
    Are you seeing twice as many does as bucks or more than that? How many deer is your property holding?

Our numbers are way down. I'm seeing more does than bucks but probably 2:1.

We haven't used any of our tags. Last year the state issued 3000 doe tags and only 1100 were used.

Why arent you MLD? Sorry for all the question, just curious.

Here in the past couple years we’ve been seeing 3 does to one buck. We also see lots of fawns early bow season full of spots and I’ve heard that’s due to high doe population and not enough bucks to breed those does. Not sure what truth there is to that. Not sure why we don’t have mld but it’s just been that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
      In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...

100% agree. It was not a good thing 26 yrs ago and doubt it would be today. Although if I remember correctly it was the last 2weeks of season when it was opened years ago. Not everyone was responsible, but the 150acres with 6 family members hunting or grandpas place with 10 grandkids shooting out the back door destroyed some areas. Some does may need to be shot, but not 2 tags per liscense on a small place with numerous hunters.

Comment

I don't like the Thanksgiving thur sunday for dates. That's all.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Doe season should last all season.

If you don't cull the doe, nature will.
          Nature and vehicle's will.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Are you seeing twice as many does as bucks or more than that? How many deer is your property holding?

Our numbers are way down. I'm seeing more does than bucks but probably 2:1.

We haven't used any of our tags. Last year the state issued 3000 doe tags and only 1100 were used.

Why arent you MLD? Sorry for all the question, just curious.

No, we aren’t MLD. We have a little over a 100 ac total. That being said, there is a few hundred more around us that isn’t hunted, or is only hunted a few times a season. I know most of the neighbors that do hunt, and very few if any bow hunt, so does tend to not get killed in our area. It’s not uncommon to see 8-20 does. In fact, we have a group of 10 or so doe that consistently hang out around our place.

Edit: It’s likely that a doe day later in the season would lead to one doe being shot on our place.

Last edited by SoTXAg06; 12-18-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

What's there to think about?

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                No, we aren’t MLD. We have a little over a 100 ac total. That being said, there is a few hundred more around us that isn’t hunted, or is only hunted a few times a season. I know most of the neighbors that do hunt, and very few if any bow hunt, so does tend to not get killed in our area. It’s not uncommon to see 8-20 does. In fact, we have a group of 10 or so doe that consistently hang out around our place.

Super easy to join LCWMA and get doe tags.

Honestly I hope they don't change it. Giving everyone 2 extra tags will hurt our population in lavaca county

Comment

In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...
                  I could agree with this sentiment. I think a 1 doe limit would be appropriate.

Comment

I don't think it will have much effect in my area of northern Lavaca. But I do see that it could dramatically lower the deer population in many other areas.

I just don't think the participation will be that high in my area, but if it is, then our deer population will definitely suffer. The people in my area who care about the deer and hunting are already MLD and get doe permits, so I don't think its going to change much.

I have not used my doe permits in 5 years because our overall population has been way down and is just now getting back to normal levels.

Comment

Good Morning,

So last night we had our scoping meeting here in Colorado County, we had 22 people show up and basically it was a50/50 split on yes or no. I lean on the "NO" side due to the continued positive direction that our WMA's have been making on deer management in the county.

What I did learn, that I do like, is that TPWD is also considering a mandatory reporting of the doe harvest.

Now this is for all seasons
                      Archery
                      Youth
                      Rifle
                      Muzzleloader
                      .....All of them.
                      So if you use an antlerless tag off of your annual license you would be required to report that using the "My Texas Hunt Harvest" Website or App. You would have 24hrs to get tis accomplished. If this is not done then, if checked, you could receive a Class C Misdemeanor citation with a fee of $25 - $500 per violation.

For me as a Landowner, hunter, and WMA President here in Colorado County I would be able to have a better grasp of how this new "Doe Day" regulation is effecting our county and if it needs to be changed. It also will provide better data as to how many does are being killed in the county other than what is being reported by the current WMA members. All in all better data in better decisions can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntin Addict View Post
                        Good Morning,

So last night we had our scoping meeting here in Colorado County, we had 22 people show up and basically it was a50/50 split on yes or no. I lean on the "NO" side due to the continued positive direction that our WMA's have been making on deer management in the county.

What I did learn, that I do like, is that TPWD is also considering a mandatory reporting of the doe harvest.

Archery
                        Youth
                        Rifle
                        Muzzleloader
                        .....All of them.
                        So if you use an antlerless tag off of your annual license you would be required to report that using the "My Texas Hunt Harvest" Website or App. You would have 24hrs to get tis accomplished. If this is not done then, if checked, you could receive a Class C Misdemeanor citation with a fee of $25 - $500 per violation.

For me as a Landowner, hunter, and WMA President here in Colorado County I would be able to have a better grasp of how this new "Doe Day" regulation is effecting our county and if it needs to be changed. It also will provide better data as to how many does are being killed in the county other than what is being reported by the current WMA members. All in all better data in better decisions can be made.
                        What did they say was the hold capacity of Colorado county?

They said for Lavaca is 1 per 20acres. That seems crazy to me.

Comment

What did they say was the hold capacity of Colorado county?

They said for Lavaca is 1 per 20acres. That seems crazy to me.
                          The individual I am paraphrasing really didn't want to place a hard number to answer this question. He was more explanatory with the fact that each part of Colorado county will vary on carrying capacity. However after being pressed he mentioned the 1 per 17 acres as a blanket statement.

Just like Lavaca County, Colorado have a very diversified landscape, in the south of the county we have rice fields, corn fields, row crops of every shape and size. The carrying capacity of those lands could be up to 1 per 50 acres. Then you move over to my area, Colorado River bottom and the carrying capacity could be 1 to 9acres. We move to the Northern part of the county it could be around 1 to 11 acres.
                          Its all about habitat, habitat, habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntin Addict View Post
                            Good Morning,

Archery
                            Youth
                            Rifle
                            Muzzleloader
                            .....All of them.

Can you shoot antlerless deer during muzzleloaders season in these counties? I guess youth can during the first youth season since that technically is still during archery season, or no?

Comment

Just my two cents...
                              Found this interesting part in an article that goes more in depth about this regulation change here http://orwma.org/wp-content/uploads/...Supplement.pdf

Beginning around 1985, biologists saw a need for antlerless harvest throughout much of District 7. In 1985, permits first became available to landowners by going to the local courthouse and obtaining permits from the TPWD biologist. Issuance was based on landowner size. It is important to note that most of these countieswere 1 buck only counties and had been for a lengthy period.
                              In 1990, TPWD initiated doe days across much of District 7. Ten counties in the upper portion of the district implemented 4 day doe seasons, while 7 counties in the lower portion implemented 18 day doe seasons (Figure 3). Some counties were divided with areas within the county having a 4 day season while other areas had 18 day seasons. Another aspect of the seasons was that the days were split between the opening weekend and a second weekend sometime later in the season. So, in the 4 day areas, hunters were allowed to harvest doe the first 2 days of general season and a later 2 days in the general season. The same was implemented with the 18 day seasons being split 9 and 9. Bag limits for these eighteen counties was set at 2 antlerless deer per hunter. Seven counties closer to the coast implemented full season antlerless harvest with bag limits set at 4 per hunter. Stories from this time period indicate that the second split of doe days was like a ‘second opening day’ with very high hunting pressure. In 1991, the antlerless season was slightly modified. Five counties that were in the 4 day season were reduced to a 2 day antlerless season. These counties included Austin, Lee, Waller, and Washington as well as the eastern half of Colorado County (Figure 4). Bag limits remained at 2 per hunter. Starting in 1993, antlerless seasons ceased throughout most of District 7, with the areas south of U.S. HWY 59 being the exception,

Comment

Texas parks and wildlife officials like to repeat ideas that don’t work. Just ask people that fish for bass on lake conroe. Lots of small acreage in Austin fayette Washington and Colorado county will result in overharvest and slow repopulation. Couple that with a fairly high number of predators and we will have a priblem not seen since 1993.

Comment

Working...
                                X