No announcement yet.

Chromebook or Macbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get her an HP, Dell or Lenovo windows laptop and it will take her through college. I have been in the PC business for over 20 years and this is what I would do for my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      I have both. The Chromebook is very slow, the kids use it for school. If I lost my Mac today I would have another one before the day is out. It is a fantastic machine.
      My wife has Chromebook and it is constant problems. I used to replace my Macbook every 5 years when the ram would fill up but the one I have now is going on year 7 and just fine because everything is cloud now(and has huge ram).

Comment

Macbook all day. as said in previous posts, the chromebooks are disposable. We've gone through 2 of them in 3 years.

Comment

Mac hands down

Oldest son has had his for going on 5 years. Never been down a single second.

Youngest son started college last year with a new Mac, never an issue

Comment

I bought my only mac in 2012.

There may be better out there but I still use mine 40+ hours a week working and my windows based laptops never made it more than 3 years.

Comment

I use a MAC BOOK Pro and it runs Windows 10 as well.

I have several - Information Technology is my profession and they are rock solid - well built and SSD drives do not fail.

I replace external power supplies periodically - one runs all of them - same voltage amp between my setups.

Comment

Our Mac is 6 years old. Runs just like the day we brought it home. I bet we have one in the house forever.

For work purposes, I definitely prefer Windows. That said, I go through a very high end Lenovo every 18 months or so.

Mac all the way!

Comment

MacBook Pro here as well. Just had to replace my wife’s MacBook Pro that was purchased back in 2010. Mine was purchased in 2011 and still going. Obviously not as fast as day one, battery doesn’t last as long as it did but still a very good laptop and I’ve never had a single problem with it

Comment

I use a MacBook Pro that has Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Won't go back to a windows based system ever.

Comment

Mac. Only reason to go with something else would be gaming.

Comment

Beyond just the device itself, consider the ecosystem. Does your daughter have an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad? What got me to leave Windows many years ago was the Apple ecosystem. Now, you couldn't pay me to use a Windows device. My three oldest kids all have my hand me down MBP's 2011, 2013 and 2015 models and they are still trucking along. I bought a new MBP in 2019 and no issues. I've got a 2013 Mac Pro and it still runs great.

Buy once, cry once.

Comment

I have a Lenovo laptop for work and have had a Surface Pro 4 for a number of years and it has served me well. I got the Surface Pro mainly because it was so light to carry around when I was traveling a lot. I also have an Android phone.

That being said, I watch my wife, who is an educator an Apple user and she has an Apple desktop here at the house, a MacBook Pro for her masters program she is currently in and a MacBook at school. She uses an iPhone and Apple watch. I say that only to get across that everything she has is connected and syncs seamlessly.

I have never been in the Apple camp myself but if I was starting fresh, Apple would be the way I would go. Especially a college student because I still think Apple is geared more towards the education vertical with all the software. Also, you can run the MS Windows applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. on them just fine. I know my wife does.

As many said above, buy once, cry once with Apple and their ecosystem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Chromebooks exist mostly to facilitate internet access. If that's all she needs, great; got for it. If not, she'll be severely hampered. Unless she must have a Windows machine, get her a M1 based MacBook Air. That's what I just bought my daughter for her junior year of high school.

LWD

Comment

Also she can get a student discount on a MAC through the Apple education system assuming she’s already enrolled in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just got a chromebook and I'm not a fan....

Comment

Working...
                                X