Service DEF System???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
    Drove to the dealer, they said the code is a stored code, not active. Also that DEF equipment is classified as electronics, not power train, therefore out of warranty coverage. They said drive it a while and see if the CEL clears. Drove about 40 miles, stopped and got new DEF. When I got back in the CEL was gone. Hopefully it stays that way.

I would challenge them on that. I would think it’s part of the emissions system which is covered to 80k miles.

This is speculation on my part but I’d sure look into it further before I took their word for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Haven't had the issue with any of my 4th gen rams, but I had my DEF heater go out on my 2014 6.7 powerstroke. Dealer wanted 750 to fix it. I used that money for a programmer and deletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
        Haven't had the issue with any of my 4th gen rams, but I had my DEF heater go out on my 2014 6.7 powerstroke. Dealer wanted 750 to fix it. I used that money for a programmer and deletes.
        Same thing happened to me on my ‘14 6.7 powerstroke. Ticks me off because Ford knows they’ve had an issue with the DEF heater going bad in the DEF tank. So much so that they issued an “extended warranty” customer satisfaction period for the 2011-2015 models. They should have issued a recall on the **** things IMO. Mine started throwing the P20BA code last summer but the “stealership” wouldn’t warranty it because I had just exceeded the 120K mile mark They wanted $1100 to replace the $180 part. I haven’t gotten it fixed yet but absolutely hate riding around with a CEL on.

Below is a link to their customer “dis-satisfaction” program A**holes!

Comment

Mine does that every time I run it bone dry, fill it back up and it goes away. Hopefully yours isn't serious.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Mine does that every time I run it bone dry, fill it back up and it goes away. Hopefully yours isn't serious.
            When the CEL came on my DEF gauge was just over 1/4 tank. Maybe I have gauge problems. Putting DEF in cleared it.

Comment

Hope they dont crack down on deletes soon. One reason i dont want to get a diesel. 1500/2500. Cost of repair and known emissions issues along with if they crack down alot of people are going to be getting rich off the guys that deleted and threw out all the emissions stuff.

Comment

Delete delete delete.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                  Hope they dont crack down on deletes soon. One reason i dont want to get a diesel. 1500/2500. Cost of repair and known emissions issues along with if they crack down alot of people are going to be getting rich off the guys that deleted and threw out all the emissions stuff.
                  My speculation is the only "crack down" happens when someone drives their deleted truck like they stole it, leaving clouds of black smoke every chance they get. The the officer will go out of his way to write a ticket for exhaust.

Those folks that properly tune their delete, that put a muffler on to calm down the noise, that aren't driving their 8500 lb trucks like a Ferrari will be just fine.
                  Last edited by WItoTX; 02-18-2020, 10:04 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Stupid question!! Can you delete the DEF from your system and not remove the total exhaust system?

Comment

I had a 15 Ram dually that threw that code several times while I was under warranty, I traded the truck before I had to come out of pocket for any of the fixes. DEF is evil imo.

Comment

I wouldn't be deleting any thing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          My speculation is the only "crack down" happens when someone drives their deleted truck like they stole it, leaving clouds of black smoke every chance they get. The the officer will go out of his way to write a ticket for exhaust.

Those folks that properly tune their delete, that put a muffler on to calm down the noise, that aren't driving their 8500 lb trucks like a Ferrari will be just fine.
                          There's a thread on here somewhere about some counties out East that have traffic sensors set out on the on ramps. Apparently that is supposed to be happening in areas that are struggling with air quality.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            There's a thread on here somewhere about some counties out East that have traffic sensors set out on the on ramps. Apparently that is supposed to be happening in areas that are struggling with air quality.
                            I remember reading that one. I didn't see anyone that actually got a ticket that way though. Maybe I missed a post?

Comment

Originally posted by mudbone View Post
                              Stupid question!! Can you delete the DEF from your system and not remove the total exhaust system?
                              You’ll clog everything up if you don’t take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                                I wouldn't be deleting any thing right now.
                                Inside info?

Comment

Working...
                                X