Good thread and information.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
      Good thread and information.
      Thank ya

Comment

Tagged

Comment

First round in the spring I do medicated to help get them over the rut injuries. It helps get them healed up so their bodies can focus on getting antler growth optimized. We use L&E also.

I have another thought however. A level plane of food is just as critical. We started cottonseed in January and ran it through September. We then added protein into the mix starting in late February. We have seen a big jump in our 2-4 yr old bucks. Live weights are massive this year.

Comment

I was just on MG's website and it looks like they offer a medicated protein for deworming.

Comment

We have been feeding 1 full round of medicated pellets per year since around 2008 or so. It has a small Antibiotic dose but mainly focused on the wormer dose it includes. We use ADM and it usually cost around $14 to $15 per bag. We usually feed it right before it gets real hot (late May early June time frame).

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill54 View Post
                First round in the spring I do medicated to help get them over the rut injuries. It helps get them healed up so their bodies can focus on getting antler growth optimized. We use L&E also.

I have another thought however. A level plane of food is just as critical. We started cottonseed in January and ran it through September. We then added protein into the mix starting in late February. We have seen a big jump in our 2-4 yr old bucks. Live weights are massive this year.
                Absolutely. The medicated feed is just one piece of our management plan, I was just curious how many others were feeding it. We feed from February to October 20 percent LnE. Our 4 year olds have taken a huge jump this year... not just horns but their body size is unreal for that age.

Comment

I used to use the dewormer/medicated feed. I did not see a huge difference.
                  One of the cons to it is the deer become accustomed to having this in there diet and it might compromise there immunity to natural disease. Deer have built up a natural immunity to various diseases and parasites and in the long run they may loose that ability if you continue to feed it to natural free ranging deer. I am not a biologist, just repeating what I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    What brand are you feeding and what kind of results are you seeing?
                    We've been feeding L&E as well and are seeing bigger body weights and just an overall healthier animals. Coats look better as well. We had a few thay you could tell had some kinda worm or looked like they did. Huge bellies but hips and ribs showing none of that now. We cut off all the other feeders and feed the medicated feed until it's gone then do the same two weeks later to try and get any that missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                      I used to use the dewormer/medicated feed. I did not see a huge difference.
                      One of the cons to it is the deer become accustomed to having this in there diet and it might compromise there immunity to natural disease. Deer have built up a natural immunity to various diseases and parasites and in the long run they may loose that ability if you continue to feed it to natural free ranging deer. I am not a biologist, just repeating what I have heard.
                      I actually sat through a seminar that Mr. Eckles put on and this was one of the subjects he touched on. In their studies they found that medicated feed if used properly only helps improve the herd and in no way affects their natural immune system.

I'm sure the key word there is properly. If a herd was living off it I could see where it could weaken their system.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        We've been feeding L&E as well and are seeing bigger body weights and just an overall healthier animals. Coats look better as well. We had a few thay you could tell had some kinda worm or looked like they did. Huge bellies but hips and ribs showing none of that now. We cut off all the other feeders and feed the medicated feed until it's gone then do the same two weeks later to try and get any that missed it.
                        Exactly what we're seeing also. The first thing I noticed after we started was their coats, I couldn't believe the difference as I compared them to the year before in the same time period.

Comment

I’ve been using a wormer in feed every spring at green up for years both La and Mexico. It makes sense to me that reducing or eliminating the parasitic load can only help. I hate finding deer with a bazillion ticks on them. Can’t be good. I don’t buy the idea that worming deer may create immunity problems. What I know for sure is that deer without wormer can be loaded with internal and external parasites. Reducing or eliminating that can only help just like w any mammal

Comment

Good information! We're going to start this on the next go around of protein.

Comment

I feed the LE brand to my pen fallow deer. They do well on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianG View Post
                                Good information! We're going to start this on the next go around of protein.
                                Good luck! Please respond back on this post when you see results if any... I like to hear how its affecting other herds good or bad...

Comment

Working...
                                X