Building on raw land and the tax consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    Here they tax it unless it's under a certain size. Otherwise it's just considered like a mobile home. One can get away with RV's or tiny homes and I think that's about it.
    This

Tiny house - keep it under 400 sq ft - to live in

then build barn to keep your tools and equipment.

Can't tax you on tiny house only permanent dwelling.

Comment

The taxes all have to do with square footage of the building. If it's a portable building, ie, potentially removable that will help you out. If you do the "poor boy" septic, just remember the county health department can come in and shut it down and fine you for not obtaining a permit and having the septic installed by a certified county installer. I know this first hand I promise, lol, because we got this happened to me. I would not hide a thing from the tax office! If they want, they can back tax 7 years I believe.

Comment

I don't know how anyone can actually have any morals and work for the County Tax Appraisal District. It's theft plain and simple. We're getting off topic though. Good luck OP. Not sure if I missed your property size but definitely keep you cabin well off the road and out of sight. I'm sure that's a given though.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          This has nothing to do with the ag exemption but I understand your point.

Although it could be argued that property taxes are BS level 10.

So at what point is it ok to lie? When they raise them how much? I mean they go up every freaking year and we have no control over it. Don't side step the question...

IMO when you buy a home your tax rate should stay the same as long as you own it.

IMO, the government should not charge me to own my piece of property.... They should get the F off my back. The idea of property taxes infuriates me.. Let me pay you this money that you are going to waste.. probably give it to some crackhead that keeps having kids just to keep their SNAP and WIC cards..... Greatest scam on earth

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
            I don't know how anyone can actually have any morals and work for the County Tax Appraisal District. It's theft plain and simple. We're getting off topic though. Good luck OP. Not sure if I missed your property size but definitely keep you cabin well off the road and out of sight. I'm sure that's a given though.
            It's also theft when people try to conceal improvements so the County won't tax them. Goes both ways, but you seem to be "wishing him luck" in hiding the fact that the cabin is there.

Comment

I am in the Hill Country. So even if the "mobile non-permanent temporary cabin" wasn't about 50 yards from the ranch road it would be very hard to conceal with the topography.

And for what it is worth, i feel my forefathers paid for the property back in the 1800s when they stole it from the Indians fair and square.

Wonder if the out house is grandfathered in? We have been pooping on the ground for out there for 7 generations, dont really see a reason to change it now
              Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it...….
                Every election, I hear how our politicians are going to address, the rising cost
                of property taxes....
                Along with rising, crime.....
                Along with rising, illegal immigration.....etc..etc...
                The only thing, that seems to be going down...…
                Is our distain, for being bent over the fence.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                  Do they get to come inside to see how nice of a cabin? Or just based on outside building materials, known improvements like water electric, and SF of the building?

If you let them "find it on their own" can they come after you for back tax? Say it takes them 3-4 years but they look on google earth and can confirm it has been there the 3-4 years? Then slam you with 4 years of tax at one time.
                  Haven't had them ask to go inside anything of mine yet, and I have a response for them when they do ask. They do not have permission to 'barge' in.
                  Far as I know, they can drive by or fly over and look and determine square feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                    I'm not sure how they came up with the value, but it seams to be in line of what we have out there. I'm not going to ask since we have made more improvements.

Comps from the area I’m sure.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                      Comps from the area I’m sure.

Skinny

More than likely sqft. Not many comps around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

i would submit it to the appraisal district. If an improvement has been out there for quite some time, they can go back 5yrs if necessary. It just depends on the appraiser. As far as the value goes, keep up with all recipts so that way if they ave the building more than what you have in it, they can adjust it.

Comment

Originally posted by klepdo View Post
                          Very interesting topic. If someone accidentally kills an illegal deer and you don’t turn yourself people question your integrity, but it’s ok to lie about the type of cabin your building to keep your ag exemption.
                          There is nothing more American than tax avoidance.

Comment

Was poking around on Gillespie CAD website and found the 2 screen shots below. 1st just shows the program that they use to monitor changes, which I know I will ping. 2nd is the from the "personal property rendition" form, I am guessing that I what I would fill out if I want to notify them of the temporary cabin that I am building?
                            Attached Files

Comment

If you add a structure with plumbing in Gillepsie county, the man that takes care of the septics will come looking. He is notified by the appraisal district.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
                                This

Tiny house - keep it under 400 sq ft - to live in

then build barn to keep your tools and equipment.

Can't tax you on tiny house only permanent dwelling.

Tiny homes are taxable. These park homes that are 400sqft that are manufactured as a travel trailer are not taxable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X