Purchasing deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing deer?

Finally got my property next to my home high fenced. Question is do you need a permit to purchase deer from a breeder to stock it? I’ve got about 30 acres high fenced with a smaller 3 acre pen enclosed within, probably 15 acres of thick wooded area. Not wanting to breed and sell the deer, just a hobby I guess. Few pics of fence
    Attached Files

I believe you need a permit if you are going to be keeping any whitetail within a high fence especially if purchasing them. I could be wrong so dont quote me on this.

Comment

Yes. Call your local tpw biologist.

Comment

Its easy. Register as a release site through the tpwd TWIMS system. About 10 minutes to complete.

Comment

What they said. You don't need to register anything to keep deer in a high fence. You do need to register as a release site if purchasing deer. You will NOT need to register as a breeder by doing what you are doing.....Something to think about though. What are you going to do when they start having babies? Legally you won't be able to sell them if you are not a scientific breeder. Population grows VERY quick! Hunt them? Keep us posted, seems like a fun project and good looking fence!

Comment

Thirty acres gonna fill up quickly if you have mixed sexes. You might as well go full on deer breeder, because you’re gonna have to do something with the offspring. Good luck !

Comment

When you get to many, I can give you the address to my place where you can release some. We need to add some diversity to the gene pool. Seriously though. If I had the $$ I'd love to just release deer around my place. Black Land Praire Farmland deer. Populations are isolated and spread far and few between. We're seeing them spread to new areas each year though.

Comment

Youll be fine if you are willing to shoot them to maintain population and feed free choice all year.

Comment

Exotics might be a better choice. Wt your going to have legal responsibilities to contend with and population can be an issue on large properties much less small ones. Exotics your free to handles as you see fit when you see fit. Wt, not so much.

Comment

May I ask about how much it cost per foot to build high fence around 30 acres? Or the total? If you don't want to answer I understand or you can PM if you would rather not post on here. I am just curious because I have thought about raising some axis myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                      May I ask about how much it cost per foot to build high fence around 30 acres? Or the total? If you don't want to answer I understand or you can PM if you would rather not post on here. I am just curious because I have thought about raising some axis myself.
                      x2!

Curious also

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! I contacted the biologist and left him a message to get back with me to get a little info. I read the website but was confused on what I needed to do, but like said above I think I just need the release site permit. As for the population getting out of hand I would probably just let my sons friends harvest some with their bows. Also thinking about raising some red deer to eat, wondering if they would be a danger to each other? As for feeding them I would have protein and cottonseed feeders for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          Around 30,000.00 but I have quite a few gates and a smaller enclosure inside the high fence.

Also I did all the brush clearing myself with a trackhoe and D6 dozer
                          Last edited by RMW; 04-29-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

As stated release permit to hold. They will have to be turned out by a certain date also. Breeder will need your permit # to release the deer to you.

Comment

on 30 acres I think it would be neat to just buy 3 bucks and turn loose. Buy one thats mid aged and a pretty frame that you like to look at and watch. Then the other 2 buy younger bucks and watch them progress into big bucks. I'm slowly doing the same thing with a place, its a long term project and is fun for me to slowly do and enjoy each step.

Comment

Working...
                              X