A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
    Absolutely phenomenal deer. Did he cross in EP in mid-January?

If so, I ran into him and his group checking guns and such. That deer is unreal in real life!!!
    I think they crossed about then at E.P. Rack would wear your arms out so heavy. Cool deer. Crazy what a big jump he made from previous year

Comment

Great stuff Rusty. Your results are undeniable and incredible. Thanks for doing this thread!

Love the shift as well. Its great how mother nature can overcome obstacles....especially when humans work with it and not against it.

Comment

Love following along Rusty. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share. Steady On,

Comment

To watch the video, then see the size of those sheds you realize those deer and your normal hill country deer are not even close to being the same thing.

Comment

This is the best thread on TBH. Sharing your extensive knowledge and experience is very kind and always interesting.

Comment

Here's a bit of a buck fight as a prelude to Super Bowl Sunday

Comment

^ Great buck fight! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Better than the Super Bowl.

Comment

I don't know how they had tines left.

Comment

Awesome video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        The results have been that organic matter has increased from a bit over 1% to nearly 4% on most of the cultivated areas.
                        Lots of questions but this jumped out. After all those years of cover crops, crimping, selected soils building species, and no till, this is the result? Where is all that organic matter going?

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                          Lots of questions but this jumped out. After all those years of cover crops, crimping, selected soils building species, and no till, this is the result? Where is all that organic matter going?
                          Very astute observation and question. Couple ways to look at it. First it shows that soils can improve over time using not till and multi specie plantings. This in contrast to conventional ag which reduces OM over time. Secondly it shows the glacial pace OM build up takes utilizing strictly cropping with no additional inputs. Observing this is why I am moving down the path of introducing large grazing herbivores. My study shows that inclusion of herbivores is an essential step for rapid OM improvement.

Additionally , my goal is to maximize not only food plots but also dramatically impact forest microbiology and ecology which comprises the majority of the farm. This requires intensive use of grazing animals. Much more on all this as we move into this new year .

Comment

This video is what you do when weather has you under house arrest all week. Part 1 with the best yet to come.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

Additionally , my goal is to maximize not only food plots but also dramatically impact forest microbiology and ecology which comprises the majority of the farm. This requires intensive use of grazing animals. Much more on all this as we move into this new year .
                              Buffalo?

Comment

Great Video as always. I can’t get the videos open fastest enough when I see u post a new one. Just magnificent animals.

Comment

Working...
                                X