High Fence question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
    To me if a deer cannot escape a place NO MATTER HOW BIG IT IS then it’s a High Fenced enclosure. Also if I understand it correctly when some sides are Highfenced but the others are low/no fenced sides but impassable terrain like swamps or cliffs will not loophole a Highfenced classification for Boone&Crocket.
    So what you're saying is, since the continent contains high fence, the North American continent would be excluded from records, as high fence (the oceans being the containment that would not qualify a loophole) according B&C? [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rolylane6; 11-29-2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I’m in the boat that says low fence, only in the event that you do not have permission to hunt the surrounding properties. If you can only hunt your property and it is low fenced around the entire perimeter then the deer are not forced to stay on your part and are free to come and go as they desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's another quirky thought...is the land inside the high fence, high fenced, or is the land outside the high fence, high fenced? If size/amount doesn't matter, then what's outside is also high fenced. The deer outside can't escape to the available land inside. So it goes both ways if your saying size doesn't matter.
        (And no wise cracks about "both ways" or "size doesnt matter" from the 3rd graders!) Lol
        Just to be clear I'm not an advocate for hunting high fence for myself, but to each his own. I do believe the amount of land fenced at some point becomes moot to being a determining factor in the "ability to escape" argument.

Last edited by rolylane6; 11-29-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          I’m in the boat that says low fence, only in the event that you do not have permission to hunt the surrounding properties. If you can only hunt your property and it is low fenced around the entire perimeter then the deer are not forced to stay on your part and are free to come and go as they desire.

This..

Comment

I hunted a property that was 5k acres of low fence brush surrounded by nothing but open pastures. The deer would not leave. So it was low fence that hunted like high fence LOL.

Comment

The OPs question was whether or not it’s considered HF or LF. Not about BC qualification.

Comment

It’s 100% low fence status.

Otherwise it’s all high fence if you keep going out far enough.

Comment

I’d call that high fence all day long.

For those that think it’s considered low fence, if your neighbor bought and released a couple 250” breeder bucks, and they happened to wander to your portion of land and you wack one of them, you really gonna go around saying you killed some low fence monster?

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

For those that think it’s considered low fence, if your neighbor bought and released a couple 250” breeder bucks, and they happened to wander to your portion of land and you wack one of them, you really gonna go around saying you killed some low fence monster?
                    Look at it in reverse, the benefits of having the high fence is you can release 250" breeders and they don't get shot by your neighbors, well that didn't happen in your scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                      So what you're saying is, since the continent contains high fence, the North American continent would be excluded from records, as high fence (the oceans being the containment that would not qualify a loophole) according B&C? [emoji3]

Thanks for reminding me why these threads are almost always not worth the time.

To the OP I’m sure the term lowfenced can be subjective but not to be confused with freerange. I don’t typically get into debating what’s lowfence if it’s inside of a Highfenced area but for people with technical agendas like to debate it. I can see one of the owners in this question of yours having the belief they’re lowfence. Typically the term lowfence is used for freerange deer vs enclosed deer. To me if a contest that has low and high fenced categories or a record keeping organization are the reason for the classification question then you’d need to follow their rules.
                      My personal opinion is properties that are together and surrounded by HF makes all owners involved HF enclosure deer hunters.
                      Last edited by KingsX; 11-29-2022, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

Said breeder bucks would have tags, tattoos or holes in their ear. Clearly anyone or any contest would know that’s not a legit LF deer. Would I shoot it….absolutely! Would I claim LF… no. Would I send said neighbor a nice Christmas gift….all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                          Thanks for reminding me why these threads are almost always not worth the time.

To the OP I’m sure the term lowfenced can be subjective but not to be confused with freerange. I don’t typically get into debating what’s lowfence if it’s inside of a Highfenced area but for people with technical agendas like to debate it. I can see one of the owners in this question of yours having the belief they’re lowfence. Typically the term lowfence is used for freerange deer vs enclosed deer. To me if a contest that has low and high fenced categories or a record keeping organization are the reason for the classification question then you’d need to follow their rules.
                          My personal opinion is properties that are together and surrounded by HF makes all owners involved HF enclosure deer hunters.
                          I agree with all the above and was really just playing devils advocate and showing how there's no opinion that can't be challenged by another opinion.
                          But the truth is that the only defined answer is this: if there's a high fence on the property, like it or not, by definition, it is high fenced.
                          Tell me I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            If you bought the place in the middle you may not even know the others had high fences, so I say low because you bought a place with two sides low fenced.
                            this was my first thought.

Originally posted by canny View Post

good point here as well.

like someone said, if you go far enough down south you will hit a HF so in theory they are all fenced in.

Comment

So just buy or lease a 10 acre track right in the middle of a high fence breeding operation. Do not drive and see the HF part for plausible deniability. You could then own a lot of LF records.

How is this even a question?

Comment

The B&C rule is the animal must be able to "escape" from the area. That the animal can get away and not be stopped by an artificial barrier. So If you wanted to fight for an animal to be entered in the book then its up to how you describe and they interpret the location of the kill.

Growing up a ranch that was 3 sides high fence could still be low fence for B&C. You only needed low fence on one side cause the deer "could escape"

Comment

Working...
                                X