No announcement yet.

Lease Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been there ans done that. You won't win the BIL battle. I walked and never regretted it to this day, 6 years. Bought my own places where I'm in charged.

Comment

As mentioned by others, the odds of you winning a war with the father of your BIL (who controls the land), are slim. This is a small place (300 acres). Enjoy it for what it is. An inexpensive convenient place to hunt. Hell, start taking a bunch of your family, if that’s the way it’s going to be. No, it’s not going to be a trophy place. Just accept that.

Hunt the opposite side of the place. If he’s going to keep driving around during hunting hours, either say something or return the favor, to see if he gets the message. Tell him you had a 14 pointer that got scared off by the noise, and see if he shows any remorse.

Don’t let the guy steal your joy. Be on the lookout for another place, and quit this one WHEN you have found another. The time you spend out there with YOUR direct family will mean way more than whether you got a 160-class deer, or something way smaller.
      Last edited by Abctx; 11-28-2022, 08:30 PM.

Comment

The lease I'm currently on is 500 acres with 4 people. We all work different schedules so there's rarely more than 2 of us there at a time. Problem is the lease boss brings half his extended family to fill their tags. They don't pay anything and you can see a difference in deer movement after there's a lot of traffic on the place. I just go fill my tags and ignore it the best I can. I'm not gonna get off the lease until I have another one to go to. Next time around I'll know what questions to ask before I spend money.

I'd find a new lease before leaving that one. I doubt talking to them helps ..

Comment

Stay on the lease....
          Move your stand to the far back of the property and let them do what they want too.

Comment

Your on a lease with someone who does share the same beliefs & hunting practices as you. It doesnt matter which way is right or wrong. Until you share it with like minds, it will not change

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
              You will never find a lease without issues. Whether it's the other lessees, landowner, distance, money, neighbors, no deer, or whatever. It sounds like a generally good place, if you enjoy hunting and you think there is a remote chance to shoot a mature buck, stay and adjust. Hunt when they aren't there, hunt as deep in the woods as you can, sit all day. Maybe it's the wife's first buck and she was super excited about it. Hunt the way you hunt and let them hunt the way they hunt. Find bigger negative issues in life to concentrate on and enjoy all the positives with what you have.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
              Agreed with most of the above!

But I was on a cheap lease without issues for past several years. Good old friends with like minded goals. I just moved too far from it when I retired.

I would hunt when they aren’t and enjoy the place. Sounds like bow season might be your best opportunity.
              It’s never going to be a trophy lease with that BIL so take your bow and kill does and the oldest bucks you can.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                You're taking it too seriously for what it is, hunt it and have fun and leave the stress at the gate. You're not wrong in your complaints, but they're in the right setup and you're reaching down in quality. You won't change it so just enjoy it.
                you dont know how good you have it.
                But if it irritates you to no end, let it go and put in a good word for me to fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  You're taking it too seriously for what it is, hunt it and have fun and leave the stress at the gate. You're not wrong in your complaints, but they're in the right setup and you're reaching down in quality. You won't change it so just enjoy it.

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                  Stay on the lease....
                  Move your stand to the far back of the property and let them do what they want too.

Both of these. Id keep doing your thing and when you drag a monster into camp, Id tell them cant have 150'' 10s if youre shooting 120'' 8s.

Sounds like a good place with plenty of potential. If no one else is hunting the surrounding land look at is as a 300 acre lease with X amount of sanctuary.

Comment

most places will have issues. Just enjoy the hunt. Sounds like it would be a great bow or late rifle season place as the others should be tagged out

Comment

It would seem like a list of lease rules outlining how may deer can be taken per member, blind placements, etc... that is signed by each member may help . That being said if he's not willing to talk to his FIL then who knows if he'll actually hold him accountable.

Seems like you may be in a no win situation. Like others have stated I would enjoy the time you have out there and not worry too much about your your BIL father. I know it may be hard but unless your BIL is willing to have a serious conversation with his FIL then nothing is going to change.

Comment

Problem is they are enjoying the place with different goals. If y'all can't get together on it, you may as well leave. Never gonna end between trophy hunters & meat hunters. Some people are content just to enjoy the outdoors & shoot a legal deer. Nothing wrong with that. Others like you want horns. You can never make that work without getting upset. Why get on a place & be miserable all the time. One or both of y'all are going to have to change to make it work. I know myself when it got like that on a lease I left.

Good Luck on getting a solution.

Comment

neigbhors

alot of people have neighbors closer than 600 yards. If its expensive get off because you are not happy. If its cheap deal with it. If they 2-3 deer a year, that just gets them of the property earlier and can let you hunt the more mature deer.

Comment

Maintaining peace within the family has a lot more value than a deer lease. If it can’t be worked out so everyone is on the same page I would gracefully move on with no hard feelings. Regardless of how long you have known a person you really don’t know them untill you hunt with them. Just my .02 cents. Good luck OP.

Comment

I would ask to lease the whole place but that doesn't sound like a possibility. I would try to use there hunting style to my advantage. It sounds like it is under 1k per year so I would rather put up with a couple family members then public.

Comment

Seems like a simple solution, put a limit on animals taken by each hunter.

Comment

Working...
                                X