East Texas Power Plant shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
    That is not the case. I work for AEP at a plant that will cease burning coal in 28. The regulation that will cause us to shut down is a ground water regulation. We have 2 big, lined settling ponds that bottom ash go into. The first to get the "ash water" is the primary then the water goes into the secondary then back into the lake. The second pond is higher than the first and the lake is higher than the second to allow all settlements to fall out of the water. These lined ponds were built within EPA guidelines at the time. EPA passed new regulations to make it were the ponds were no longer in compliance. There was plenty of meetings to determine if it would make more "money sense" to reline the ponds or quit burning coal. At the end of the day the cost of relining the ponds didn't make sense. Everything AEP does at a power plant has to be approved by the Texas Regulation Commitee before they can get there invested money back. The EPA is bad about rolling out regulations on plants that the technology to do it isn't even available or the cost of it doesn't make sense. Pirkey power plant is a 750 megawatt plant. SPP (which is Ercot in the regulated market) has already said they'll be 800 megawatts short next year
    This is interesting. This thread made me read up on the Pirkey unit. I read they have groundwater violations, but didn't read much beyond that. Now I have to go back and see if it's the same issue you are seeing at your plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      So the epa has to be neutered somehow.
      I know a couple months ago West Virginia sued the EPA because of the regulations/laws they passed that would cause the closure of their coal mines. It went to the supreme court. The supreme court ruled that the EPA didn't have the authority to be making these regulations/laws and that it should be legislated and voted on by each state. Haven't heard anything else about it but I haven't looked either

Comment

Remember when the epa polluted that river in Colorado several years back?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          Remember when the epa polluted that river in Colorado several years back?
          The one that turned, orange wasn’t it? Yep, I do remember that.

Comment

Of course they couldn’t fine themselves. No one was ever held accountable

Comment

I remember when it was put in...the digging and filling up of the lake.

Crazy to think it closing after just 36 years.

Someone post a link to the deer that was found drowned that is in the front lobby.

Been some MONSTERS poached there over the years. I went to HS with an idiot that did time of his brazen killing of them deer on the "island"

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                I made a video and put it up on YouTube. The video was called the farce that is green energy, but here is a solution. The video was immediately shadow banned (my subscribers didn’t even get notified of the new video) and has been hidden from people seeing it unless I link directly to it.

The left doesn’t want the truth to be heard. So called green energy is actually worse for our environment than fossil fuels. Yes, we do need to get off of fossil fuels, but not like this.

Green energy is a farce, but here is a solution - YouTube
                This (was) has been blacked out on TBH. I had to “quote” it to find the URL to copy and paste pull it up in another tab. It seemed banned actively.

([ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=enp4s97LLBo"]Green energy is a farce, but here is a solution - YouTube[/ame])

This is an active communist play to destabilize the US of global hegemony for the Liberal World Order. Soon after destabilization itll be the Communist World Order. China knows that were heading to an ice age and all the coal powered smoot they can smoke the atmosphere will keep the earth warm and from freezing. Which, freezing is coincidentally a bigger problem than warming.

The only good thing about moving away from fossil fuels is when we start freezing, we will still have fossil fuels in the ground to use. Until the extended freezing begins, the poor will get more poor with the cost of unstable electricity continuing to increase in cost. This is a wonderful reverse tax on the poor from the globalist marxists in US Congress.

Cheap energy makes the poor less poor. Exactly the reason the cheap sources of energy are being removed to stir them (proletariat “working class”) into marxist/communist revolution.

Its interesting to see how many voting people dont take the globalists communists at their word.

Comment

So dang sick of the Whacko Liberal minority running and dictating the majority, Ridiculous.

Comment

They have corned the market on electioneering!

Comment

It is all over. Monticello, Fairfield, Parker, Welsh, etc.

All of the things that made Texas energy independent are being dismantled

Comment

And China is building coal plants and buying all the coal from the U.S that they can get. There are several trains dedicated to deliver coal to the west coast to be loaded on barges and sent to China

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                          It is all over. Monticello, Fairfield, Parker, Welsh, etc.

All of the things that made Texas energy independent are being dismantled
                          I work at Welsh. They're telling us that there is a strong chance that we will be converted to gas. Supposed to know in 2025

Comment

And China is building coal plants and buying all the coal from the U.S that they can get. There are several trains dedicated to deliver coal to the west coast to be loaded on barges and sent to China
                            It would be unfair for the U.S. to force out/scold other developing countries for using the very same coal-burning methods the U.S. used to develop and become a great nation. Instead, we must use our modern technology and innovation to encourage and educate developing countries about alternative fuel sources.

This is literally a direct excerpt from at least 2-3 lefty environmental books I have read regarding china and other countries burning coal. Pretty much their take on this issue for whatever it's worth.

Comment

I work at Welsh. They're telling us that there is a strong chance that we will be converted to gas. Supposed to know in 2025
                              I hope so. We have a couple of natty plants around here but they never run. They keep them operational but am told they have to get permission to run them in certain demand situations.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                                I hope so. We have a couple of natty plants around here but they never run. They keep them operational but am told they have to get permission to run them in certain demand situations.
                                Those are called “peakers” and they only generate power when wholesale power prices are high enough for them to run profitably.

Comment

Working...
                                X