East Texas Power Plant shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post

These people are not stupid. They know how to get a coal plant to shut down through heavy regulation to accomplish their anti-humanistic and anti-fossil fuel agenda while they fly back and forth on their private jets.

Wise up grasshopper
    Yep, they make all of the clean technology additions you need so cost prohibitive you can't afford to run the plant anymore. Poor little local folks will pay in the end like always.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post
      Government is the problem not the solution. As stated previously, government mandated environmental compliance increased to cost of operating to the point where the plant was forced to shut down. The company ran an analysis on whether to continue operating or shut down. Sometimes the cost to shut down is more expensive than it is to continue operating so they keep pumping. Not the case here.

These people are not stupid. They know how to get a coal plant to shut down through heavy regulation to accomplish their anti-humanistic and anti-fossil fuel agenda while they fly back and forth on their private jets.

Wise up grasshopper
      Boom! Anti humanistic anti fossil fuel. Has to be stopped folks

Comment

This is old news. It would announced it would be shut down back in 2020.

This plant is a lignite plant built in the mid 80s, literally the most inefficient, pollutant laced, environmentally unfriendly type of coal burner there is.

38 years ago, when this plant was built, scrubbers were becoming standard equipment on plants of this size, and 15 ish years ago, low nox burners became the norm. AEP chose to build an already out dated plant in the mid 80's, from what I can tell refused to upgrade much, then decided to shut it down when it cost too much to run. What they built was the equivalent of a 1990 Buick in 2005. Obsolete.

This is on AEP. They, and their employees, should have seen the writing on the wall in the mid 2000's. Gas units today make more power, in a fraction of the footprint of a coal plant such as this. And they don't require digging up lignite and destroying the landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          Well said Roly. How arrogant can people be to actually think we are going to control the climate.

this!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            This is old news. It would announced it would be shut down back in 2020.

This plant is a lignite plant built in the mid 80s, literally the most inefficient, pollutant laced, environmentally unfriendly type of coal burner there is.

38 years ago, when this plant was built, scrubbers were becoming standard equipment on plants of this size, and 15 ish years ago, low nox burners became the norm. AEP chose to build an already out dated plant in the mid 80's, from what I can tell refused to upgrade much, then decided to shut it down when it cost too much to run. What they built was the equivalent of a 1990 Buick in 2005. Obsolete.

This is on AEP. They, and their employees, should have seen the writing on the wall in the mid 2000's. Gas units today make more power, in a fraction of the footprint of a coal plant such as this. And they don't require digging up lignite and destroying the landscape.
            I helped build this unit, in 84 or 85. When we finished here, I went to the one they were building in Jewett. From there, I went down to Lagrange.
            I don’t know what, if any, upgrades were made to this unit. In the early 2000, other plants were putting in upgrades. I haven’t been back there since new construction. Back in the day, every plant had a deadline to make upgrades or shutdown completely. Guess they chose the later. And if I remembered right, these plants had a life expectancy of 30 years. It’s not the first one to shut down and won’t be the last.
            I’ve been sayin for a year or so now, get ready for a rolling blackout coming to a town near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              I helped build this unit, in 84 or 85. When we finished here, I went to the one they were building in Jewett. From there, I went down to Lagrange.
              I don’t know what, if any, upgrades were made to this unit. In the early 2000, other plants were putting in upgrades. I haven’t been back there since new construction. Back in the day, every plant had a deadline to make upgrades or shutdown completely. Guess they chose the later. And if I remembered right, these plants had a life expectancy of 30 years. It’s not the first one to shut down and won’t be the last.
              I’ve been sayin for a year or so now, get ready for a rolling blackout coming to a town near you!!
              yes Sir!

Buy more ev cars ! SMDH

Comment

I made a video and put it up on YouTube. The video was called the farce that is green energy, but here is a solution. The video was immediately shadow banned (my subscribers didn’t even get notified of the new video) and has been hidden from people seeing it unless I link directly to it.

The left doesn’t want the truth to be heard. So called green energy is actually worse for our environment than fossil fuels. Yes, we do need to get off of fossil fuels, but not like this.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=enp4s97LLBo"]Green energy is a farce, but here is a solution - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
                  Like OP said, I am all for being a good steward of the environment, but we have to move forward rationally and logically. They want to move forward at breakneck speed.
                  In their mind, we don't have much time left if we don't stop carbon emissions RIGHT NOW. People who have gotten comfortable with cheap affordable and easily produced power at the expense of their own planets demise are just going to have to go through the a rough "transition" for their own good. Otherwise, nothing matters.... because there will be nothing left.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                    Yep, when I worked at the power company in 2009, I recall all the near retirement guys saying it's only a matter of time before all these old units get shut down, and that they were figuring we would have power issues once that happened, but that they were thankful they were retiring and didn't have to worry about it.

You might appreciate this being someone who built boilers like the subject unit. When I worked at the power company, one of our stations had units fabricated and constructed in the 1920's. The pipes, valves, fittings, etc...that had not been removed all had swastikas welded on them. The units themselves were fabricated in Germany, and the whole unit was a museum piece. It was a very cool unit, and it was torn down completely last year.

Comment

They took the money and ran. They failed to keep up with maintenance and regulations. If maintenance would have been kept up the regulations may have been easier to meet.

Comment

Wether it’s old news or not it’s still gonna cause hardship to people.

Comment

This crap started with Obama, hell he campaigned on the fact that he would shut down coal fired plants. Biden has now taken up the mantle as he is just Obama’s puppet. Obama’s third term !

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
                            They took the money and ran. They failed to keep up with maintenance and regulations. If maintenance would have been kept up the regulations may have been easier to meet.
                            That is not the case. I work for AEP at a plant that will cease burning coal in 28. The regulation that will cause us to shut down is a ground water regulation. We have 2 big, lined settling ponds that bottom ash go into. The first to get the "ash water" is the primary then the water goes into the secondary then back into the lake. The second pond is higher than the first and the lake is higher than the second to allow all settlements to fall out of the water. These lined ponds were built within EPA guidelines at the time. EPA passed new regulations to make it were the ponds were no longer in compliance. There was plenty of meetings to determine if it would make more "money sense" to reline the ponds or quit burning coal. At the end of the day the cost of relining the ponds didn't make sense. Everything AEP does at a power plant has to be approved by the Texas Regulation Commitee before they can get there invested money back. The EPA is bad about rolling out regulations on plants that the technology to do it isn't even available or the cost of it doesn't make sense. Pirkey power plant is a 750 megawatt plant. SPP (which is Ercot in the regulated market) has already said they'll be 800 megawatts short next year

Comment

So the epa has to be neutered somehow.

Comment

Horrible for the folks who chose this as their career.

Comment

Working...
                                X