My Dad, with Stage4 Cancer, Gets his first Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad, with Stage4 Cancer, Gets his first Elk

Between my brother, dad and I, we have been trying to get an elk over the last few years. My brother got one on our first trip to Colorado. I got one last year. For my dad, he has had a couple close calls and a lot of "didn't see any" hunts for elk.

This May he was diagnosed with Stage 4 Esophageal cancer that had spread to Liver and lymph nodes. There is no cure for Esophageal cancer, it can get put into remission. As a family we have rallied around him, and came up with the slogan "Be Brave, Have Fun". He has had a great attitude through it all.

Definitely time to ramp up the efforts on getting him an elk. We made a trip to the Leoncita, North of Alpine, in August, and the weather put the odds against us again. Looking to our planned Colorado trip next month, we are concerned about his strength to put forth much effort at all to get the job done. So, my brother stepped up again and found a place to the West of Lawton, OK and on the west boundary of the refuge there. It is private owned, hi-fenced, with new owners that have an excellent vision for their property.

We got down there yesterday afternoon, and as one big time hunter has said, "A good hunt doesn't have to be a long hunt." My Dad got his first elk!!!! An awesome, huge 9x8. We didn't score it yet, but has to be well over 350".

We were and are still so excited for him.

I remember going hunting with my dad when I was 5 years old. He started my love for the outdoors and fanned those flames as I grew up. I'm so grateful to him for instilling so much into me in all areas of my life. From my walk with the Lord, to work ethic, character, etc. and obviously for taking me hunting and fishing. Please pray for him and us, and "Be Brave, Have Fun!!"
    Attached Files

That's outstanding! Congrats to your dad!

Comment

Beautiful bull! Congrats to you all, I hope your dad kca!

Comment

That’s awesome!! What memory!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The memories you share on hunts last a lifetime, congrats to your father on a incredible elk! Prayers sent for him and your family during these times. “Be brave, have fun”

Comment

That is outstanding!

Comment

Sincere Congrats to your Dad and family...amazing story!!!

Comment

Congrats to your dad

Comment

That’s awesome!

Comment

Congratulations to your pops! God Bless Sir!

Comment

Wow. So glad he got that bull. Congrats to him and the family.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

That is AWESOME! Congratulations to you dad!

Comment

That’s fantastic! Waydago

Comment

Awesome elk, congrats to pops! Help him live his slogan!

Comment

That is great. Congratulations to your dad!

Comment

Working...
                              X