Vehicle Inspection Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Inspection Question

Can you get your vehicle inspected in any Texas county and if so, can you skip emissions in an emissions required county?

The scenario:
    My son is at college in Las Cruces, NM. He needs an inspection and went to El Paso to get it done. El Paso County is an emissions required county. His vehicle is registered in Comal County, which is does not require emissions. They would not do just a normal inspection. Am I crazy for thinking they should?

He can just state that it is out of state if he does the renewal on line. I have a Ford Ranger that has been out of state since 2006 and I get it registered every year.

Comment

They told me it must be inspected in the county it is registered in. I was working in central Louisiana and tried to go just across the border into Texas to get my truck inspected. no good I had to drive it all the way back to Grayson County.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
        He can just state that it is out of state if he does the renewal on line. I have a Ford Ranger that has been out of state since 2006 and I get it registered every year.

This. We do it all the time for our fleet trucks that are out of state and due for registration. You fill out a quick form at the tax office stating where the vehicle is located and they will get you a new registration sticker right then and there. The only provisions are that the vehicle must be inspected within 24hrs once it crosses back into state lines.

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
        They told me it must be inspected in the county it is registered in. I was working in central Louisiana and tried to go just across the border into Texas to get my truck inspected. no good I had to drive it all the way back to Grayson County.

This is false. We get trucks inspected all over the state, all the time with zero issues.

Comment

I did just that and should get the sticker in a few days. Just wanted to go ahead and get up to date on the inspection since we let it slip.

I wish I had known that so I would not have sent him on the wild goose chase. Oh well...builds character.

Comment

I think "they" told you wrong!

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
            This is false. We get trucks inspected all over the state, all the time with zero issues.

Sleepy is correct. I get my lease ride inspected each year in the county where I hunt and not in the county where it is registered. Never has been an issue.

Comment

Soooo, the place in El Paso CAN just inspect for a normal state inspection for the non-emissions counties?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                Soooo, the place in El Paso CAN just inspect for a normal state inspection for the non-emissions counties?

Soooo, I don't know the answer to that question.

Comment

I am in sorta same boat.

My son is in Commerce and truck is registered in Travis county. Will call a shop there on Monday.

Comment

You can get an inspection in any county in Texas is my understanding.

Comment

I inspect my deleted diesel out of county every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        I am in sorta same boat.

My son is in Commerce and truck is registered in Travis county. Will call a shop there on Monday.
                        Friend had a similar situation. He had a ranch truck that he kept in Crane County but since he lives in Harris County the truck was registered in Harris County. The problem was that vehicles registered in Harris County required the emissions inspection but inspection facilities in Crane and surrounding counties don't have the equipment to do emissions testing because it is not required there.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                          Friend had a similar situation. He had a ranch truck that he kept in Crane County but since he lives in Harris County the truck was registered in Harris County. The problem was that vehicles registered in Harris County required the emissions inspection but inspection facilities in Crane and surrounding counties don't have the equipment to do emissions testing because it is not required there.
                          I think that is what happened last year...but I have slept since then.

Comment

That's good to know. My tacoma will be going to Florida in August with my son

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I went through this on my lease ride in Llano county, it’s registered in Galveston county. They wouldn’t do it, said they couldn’t, the computer wouldn’t even let them do it supposedly however, I told them that it was done the year before, and they gave me blank stare. I had to go to Travis or Williamson county to get it done. I even showed them this off of the states website.
                              “ 4. Emissions Testing Exemptions
                              A vehicle registered in an affected county may receive a safety inspection at a vehicle inspection station in a non-affected county if:

The vehicle is not a designated vehicle because it has not and will not be primarily operated in an affected county.

Company fleet vehicles owned by business entities registered at a central office located in an affected county but operated from branch offices and locations in non-affected counties on a permanent basis.

Hunting and recreational vehicles registered to the owner in an affected area, but permanently maintained on a hunting property or vacation home site in a non-affected county.

The vehicle no longer qualifies as a designated vehicle because it will no longer be primarily operated in an affected county. For example, the vehicle registration indicates it is registered in an affected county, but the owner has moved, does not currently reside in, nor will primarily operate the vehicle in an affected county.

The vehicle is registered in an affected county and is primarily operated in a non-affected county, but will not return to an affected county prior to the expiration of the current registration. Under this exception the vehicle will be re-inspected at a vehicle inspection station certified to do vehicle emissions testing immediately upon return to an affected county. Examples of this exception include vehicles operated by students enrolled at learning institutions, vehicles operated by persons during extended vacations, or vehicles operated by persons on extended out-of-county business.

A motorist must have the vehicle emissions testing exemption processed at the time of the vehicle's annual vehicle safety inspection.”

After getting mine done in Williamson county, I came back home and went to the tax office and changed the registration, so this year I won’t have any issues having it done up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X