Tractor Hydrolics question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Hydrolics question

I have a Kubota L3400 tractor. been a good one, but I am new to tractors...so, need some guidence.

in the picture, I have fluid dripping from the top of the chrome piston. I've had it a while and this is the first issue I've had.

Is this something I can fix or is it a Kubota dealer fix?
    Attached Files

You need to pull it and replace the seals. Not easy to do if you don’t know what you are doing.

Comment

Had the same issue, you just need new seals. Pull it off and take to a hydraulic shop or dealer. I found the hydraulic shop a little cheaper. Recommend doing both sides though even if the other one is not leaking

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBhuntin View Post
        Had the same issue, you just need new seals. Pull it off and take to a hydraulic shop or dealer. I found the hydraulic shop a little cheaper. Recommend doing both sides though even if the other one is not leaking
        That’s your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBhuntin View Post
          Yep ^^^^^ Been a rancher with tractors all my life.

Comment

thanx guys.

I've not done any tractor work before, so It will go to local kubota folks to get both seals replaced.

thanx again.

Comment

Wait till that nasty fluid starts coming out your steering seals... lol. That wasn’t a cheap fix at ole Bills Tractor.

Comment

One other thing but I'm not familiar with Kubota tractors.. Tie the hoses up high to save all the hydraulic fluid you can.

Comment

You might try tighting them up and see if the leak stops. If it doesn't get a new o ring seal and change it out yourself. Less than a 5 minute job.
                  Last edited by brokeno; 04-06-2021, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Curious, does the chrome rod have some rough spots on it about 2-3" from the bucket end. It looks like it in the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      You might try tighting them up and see if the leak stops. If it doesn't get a new o ring seal and change it out yourself. Less than a 5 minute job.
                      Will look into that. Guess I will be Utubing stuff as well

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                      Curious, does the chrome rod have some rough spots on it about 2-3" from the bucket end. It looks like it in the photo.
                      don't think so. I think that is just junk picked up by the fluid going down the piston... Bit I will look at it closer.

Comment

Easy to do. Just pulle the pins on each end by removing the nut and bolt that keeps the pins in. Make sure you set the bucket flat before pulling the pins. Unscrew the lines on each end of the cylinder. Take the cylinder to a place like Hose Fast or google hydraulic cylinder rebuilds near you and you should be able to get the seals redone. Should cost about $150-$175 to get it done. The cylinder will come back filled with fluid and have plugs where the lines were screwed into it. Just pin it back in. Remove the plugs and put the lines back in and snug them up. Check your hydraulic levels and fill as needed.

Comment

I’ve done a pair of loader cylinders on a small 790 John Deere and it was tough getting the inner seal installed being so small. The larger 40hp ford I did was easier. Larger diameter and easier to flex and install. The large nuts inside the cylinder are loctite and torque pretty tight. You either need a super sturdy vice to hold the bucket end of the shaft or once you pull it out of the cylinder reinstall it on the bucket to hold it while trying to lessen the nut with a big cheater bar. Yes As recommended. Remove them and takem in to be replaced is less of a headache and pain. The seal could run about 100$ a set. It’s been awhile that I’ve done it.

Comment

You may check with Hudgins Company out near you.

Comment

I changed all my seals out just a few years ago. Not hard to do other than breaking them loose, but with a good pipe wrench and cheater bar got’er done. And if you decide to do it yourself, have a bucket handy to catch the fluid inside the cylinders. Going back with new seals, I smeared a little grease on them and the shaft. Makes it a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X