Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the big announcement? :/

Comment

Sure not good news for those facilities.
      The research facility in Wyoming where it was brought and is still studied does not allow any animal to leave it. All susceptible species for CWD catch it and die at the facility once there.
      Animals brought there for study are euthanized after the study even if negative.

Sounds like the facilities have good monitoring but wondering where the animals came from ?

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
        Yeah that's what I figured.
        Not sure what that has to do with anything I posted. What did you figure?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          That's the big announcement? :/
          A lot of pressure was put on TPWD to tone down this release. Something like 130 breeding facilities are involved. Will be thousands of deer put down by the time this over.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
            Not sure what that has to do with anything I posted. What did you figure?
            Downplaying the significance of monitoring pen raised designer deer from being moved all around the state. I agree they can do more, and should do more, but it doesn't take an expert to understand transporting live animals is the biggest factor in it's spread. If mandatory testing in breeding facilities didn't exist, it would be a lot harder to find non CWD infected deer to eat over the infected one you yourself said is too risky to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
              A lot of pressure was put on TPWD to tone down this release. Something like 130 breeding facilities are involved. Will be thousands of deer put down by the time this over.
              You're right, after rethinking it every facility to/fro the two that tested are effected. Bigger news than I initially thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                Chronic Wasting Disease Discovered at Deer Breeding Facilities in Hunt and Uvalde Counties
                March 31, 2021
                Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030
                News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL

AUSTIN – Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been discovered in deer breeding facilities in both Hunt and Uvalde counties. This marks the first positive detection of the disease in Hunt County.

The tissue samples were submitted by the deer breeding facilities as part of required CWD surveillance programs. The samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) in College Station on March 23 for the Uvalde County facility. Samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the TVMDL on March 24 for the Hunt County facility. The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, has since confirmed CWD in those tissue samples, but the samples reported for Hunt County are undergoing DNA testing to confirm animal identification and origin.

*Officials have taken immediate action to secure all deer at the Uvalde County and Hunt County deer breeding facilities and plan to conduct additional investigations for CWD. In addition, other breeding facilities that received deer from these facilities or shipped deer to these facilities during the last five years are under movement restrictions and cannot move or release deer at this time.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) are working together to determine the extent of the disease within the facilities and evaluate risks to Texas’ free ranging deer populations. Quick detection of CWD can help mitigate the disease’s spread.

“Recent CWD discoveries in new locations across the state are deeply concerning and underscore the criticality of redoubling efforts to help arrest the spread of this disease,” said Carter Smith, Executive Director of TPWD. “While it is important to realize that CWD is still not widespread in Texas, complacency is not an option. The only way to ensure we are effective in combating the further spread of CWD is with the active help of hunters, wildlife managers, deer breeders, and landowners. Clearly, it is imperative that we work together to protect our native deer populations to ensure the health and vitality of one of our state’s greatest natural resources.”

Although animal health and wildlife officials cannot determine how long or to what extent the disease has been present in these deer breeding facilities, both breeding facilities have active CWD surveillance programs with no positives detected until now.

CWD was first recognized in 1967 in captive mule deer in Colorado. CWD has also been documented in captive and/or free-ranging deer in 26 states and 3 Canadian provinces.

In Texas, the disease was first discovered in 2012 in free-ranging mule deer along a remote area of the Hueco Mountains near the Texas-New Mexico border and has since been detected in 220 captive or free-ranging cervids, including white-tailed deer, mule deer, red deer and elk in 11 Texas counties. For more information on previous detections visit the CWD page on the TPWD website.

CWD is a fatal neurological disease found in certain cervids, including deer, elk, moose and other members of the deer family. CWD is a slow and progressive disease. Due to a long incubation, cervids infected with CWD may not produce any visible signs for a number of years after becoming infected. As the disease progresses, animals with CWD show changes in behavior and appearance. Clinical signs may include, progressive weight loss, stumbling or tremors with a lack of coordination, excessive thirst, salivation or urination, loss of appetite, teeth grinding, abnormal head posture, and/or drooping ears.

“The incubation period of CWD can span years creating disease management challenges,” said Dr. Andy Schwartz, TAHC State Veterinarian. “Response staff are diligently working to address each herd affected by these new detections to manage further spread.”

To date there is no evidence that CWD poses a risk to humans or non-cervids. However, as a precaution, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization recommend not to consume meat from infected animals.

For more information about CWD, visit the TPWD web site or the TAHC web site.
                ehhhh thats not good, Hunt co. is a little too close for comfort for me...

Comment

Deer for sale.. for CHEAP!

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
                    Downplaying the significance of monitoring pen raised designer deer from being moved all around the state. I agree they can do more, and should do more, but it doesn't take an expert to understand transporting live animals is the biggest factor in it's spread. If mandatory testing in breeding facilities didn't exist, it would be a lot harder to find non CWD infected deer to eat over the infected one you yourself said is too risky to eat.
                    Your reading comp skills are poor. I have never downplayed the testing of breeders. I think it is very important. I do think only testing breeders and doing little else, does not stop of the spread.

Comment

Your reading comp skills are poor. I have never downplayed the testing of breeders. I think it is very important. I do think only testing breeders and doing little else, does not stop of the spread.
                      I’m betting there will be expanded testing zones for kills with this new outbreak.

It comes down to this. Once CWD starts showing up regularly in deer kills (god forbid), how many people will abandon hunting all together. We have no evidence of spread to humans. But we do know another prion, mad cow, has spread to humans. If I shoot a deer in a testing area and it came back positive, I probably would not eat it. Certainly would not let my kids eat it.

Comment

There it is. The over reach of killing hundreds of non infected deer by the state.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          There it is. The over reach of killing hundreds of non infected deer by the state.
                          Would you still eat a deer if it came back positive for CWD?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            gtsticker it will not deplete herds levels to unsustainable levels.
                            That paper published bases that assumption on models.
                            We know most of the guys personally that wrote that paper. They do not believe that the deer herd would become extinct without CWD management.
                            Colorado Chronic Wasting Disease Response Plan December 2018

I. Executive Summary Mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk and moose are highly valued species in North America.

Some of Colorado’s herds of these species are increasingly becoming infected with chronic wasting disease (CWD).

As of July 2018, at least 31 of Colorado's 54 deer herds (57%), 16 of 43 elk herds (37%), and 2 of 9 moose herds (22%) are known to be infected with CWD. Four of Colorado's 5 largest deer herds and 2 of the state’s 5 largest elk herds are infected.

Deer herds tend to be more heavily infected than elk and moose herds living in the same geographic area.

Not only are the number of infected herds increasing, the past 15 years of disease trends generally show an increase in the proportion of infected animals within herds as well.

Of most concern, greater than a 10-fold increase in CWD prevalence has been estimated in some mule deer herds since the early 2000s;

CWD is now adversely affecting the performance of these herds.

snip...

(the map on page 71, cwd marked in red, is shocking...tss)

FRIDAY, JANUARY 24, 2020

Wyoming Game & Fish Discovers CWD-Positive Mule Deer in Pinedale, Discourages Feeding of Wildlife ''As of September 2019, CWD has been identified in 31 of 37 (84%) Wyoming mule deer herds, nine of 36 (25%)elk herds, and generally wherever white-tailed deer occur.

Increasing prevalence and distribution of CWD has the potential to cause widespread and long-term negative impacts to Wyoming’s cervid populations.

Prevalence of this disease in chronically infected Wyoming deer herds has exceeded 40%, with one elk herd exhibiting nearly 15% prevalence.''

''for the first time, there is clear evidence that CWD is adversely affecting the overall health and viability of some herds.''

Comment

So you're advocating for more testing outside of breeders?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                i watched that circus play out in Iowa, where cwd was detected in captive herd, then the lawyers got involved, all the folks cried over all those perfectly healthy looking deer, where a large group assembled on a certain deer farmers board, where a many of folks lay claim they were going to come to the aid of the farmers, even some suggested cutting the fence, and some liked that suggestion, and letting all these perfectly healthy looking deer go, that were penned up. when the dust settle in court, the depopulation of that herd was finally done and cwd testing finished, the final tally for that perfectly healthy looking deer herd was 79.8 percent of the deer tested positive for the disease. just saying...

Comment

Working...
                                X