No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, this sounds rough. I cant tven imagine the devastation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Every now and then one needs a sanity break. So...

We are starting planting today. !!!

For the fields I double crop
      100 lbs/acre elbon rye
      25 lbs/acre wheat
      3 lbs acre daikon radish
      1 lb/acre turnips
      These fields all have solid base of reseeding crimson

For the clover fields:
      50 lbs wheat
      3 lbs radishes
      2 lbs chicory--- I add a little chicory every year even though there is already chicory in field.
      1 lb turnips
      Where required freshening with 5 lbs red clover and 5 lbs Durana.
      Also in a few of the fields I'm adding 10 lbs/ acre winter peas just for kicks to see how it does.

Moisture should be NO problemThe summer annuals did tolerably well creating decent thatch. Nonetheless out of simplicity I sprayed them all. Didn't have time to be creative.

Lastly, met with dozer operator yesterday to bring dozer and track hoe in to finish clearing trees from fields , right of ways and fences. Making progress!

Videos aren't happening yet cause we are so far behind but intend to pull camera out when hunting starts

Comment

Sorry to hear about all of the damage but it sounds like you are heading in the right direction now. Hopefully you didn't lose any wondering bucks to greener pastures while the fence was/is down, although I can't imagine the neighbors place being more appealing than yours.

Comment

Did any deer get out of the fence?

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Little better pic of this guy
            After weeks of not seeing a single buck on the farm I was driving home at dark after planting and saw this guy locked on a doe at 100 yds just staring at me. First time I have ever seen him in hard antler. Let the games begin!

Comment

After weeks of not seeing a single buck on the farm I was driving home at dark after planting and saw this guy locked on a doe at 100 yds just staring at me. First time I have ever seen him in hard antler. Let the games begin!
              Now that's some great news!!!

Comment

Glad to hear y’all are turning things around so well. I can’t imagine being hit with the adversity of all this. Y’all seem to be taking it all so well. Hope you guys get back on track soon, and that this makes for an astounding improvement on the place in the long run.

As always, I am inspired by your work! Please keep us in the loop, because you truly are a regenerative food-plotting inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What an awesome thread. I love it.

Comment

@el gato, hoping this last storm is not so bad. And good luck to you sir. Also this is a great history of a ranch. Please keep up amazing work.

Comment

Tough times. Hurricane Delta is going to hit Lafayette in the morning and head right up the state, Hope it dies down some before it gets to you Rusty. I hunt some further north of you near Sikes. Lots of oaks down in the bottoms, pines did ok. I’ve got this to deal with,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can keep the pigs!!! While we have had a crazy year with plenty of challenges, never had a hog problem on the farm..thankfully. That is a problem that keeps on giving.

Comment

Just got this guy from the farm back from taxi in time to start looking for another one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

that buck looks awesome on the wall. Good luck this year Rusty!

Comment

Amazing mount! Good luck this season!

Comment

That deer is an absolute stud! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X