Would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickR View Post
    If I had a place that any of my really good friends and family wanted to visit I’d say have a good time. I would feel the same way asking to stay at their places. It’s a given if anything gets damaged that everything would be replaced or compensated for. I would, however, probably start the conversation by asking to rent the place while I’m there.
    Exactly!

Comment

Would you?

Everybody’s personal relationships are different. Just do what you think deep down is right regarding this one. I have some friends I would have zero problem asking and vice versa. Depends on the level of said friendship.
      If it were my lifelong friend, I’d have zero issue with him asking me, if the situation were reversed. It affects me negatively in no way to help my friend. As Rod said, it’s just stuff. I’d feel good knowing I could help a brother out. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by mudbone View Post
        Easy solution!!! Turn the tables around and see if you would like to be taken advantage of like that...... I bet you come up with the correct answer.
        How would he be taking advantage of them? Its not like the place is going to go down in value due to them staying... And yes, turn the tables and I'm sure he wouldn't mind at all if they stayed at his vacation home.

Comment

I would not ask.

Comment

Reckon I could never ask, it would make me too uncomfortable.

Not to be kicking you in the shin but they invited you back, not in laws, nephews and nieces. If they tore something up, them people would not be friendly any more.

Comment

For the scenario posted put me in the "don't ask" column. Obviously we all have differing opinions and only the OP knows the mindset of the property owner.

IMHO it's one thing to bring guests to a random friends' GTG but a total different thing to invite guests to stay at someone's house even if it is a vacation home. Too many variables that only the OP has insight to.

if it feels awkward don't do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                I don't think its rude, would let them know that im willing to rent. if they didn't want you there, they wouldn't have offered. at least that's how my mind works. if I don't want someone using my stuff, I don't offer my stuff to be used.

Comment

I would, but than again I'm Mexican so yeah I bring every family member and neighbor for FREE

Comment

If they are lifelong friends, you should be able to have that conversation with them. If they plan to be there, I would not ask to bring extra people. But if you are using it when they are not there, I don't see it as a big deal.

But only you know if you can have an open conversation with them like that. If you do make it happen, I would get them a nice gift that they would enjoy for allowing you to use it.

Comment

Hail no!

Comment

Friends have a condo in Galveston. I haven't overstayed my welcome yet, but I've sure tried lol. We also take my Sis in law every time we go. Text her the other day my daughter was saying she wanted to go since we haven't been and her response was it's open, take her already. Only you know your friends, but I wouldn't hesitate with mine. If I couldn't trust my guests, they aren't going with me. If I can't ask my friends something that simple, I'm changing friends. I will say, my guests don't use it without me present just for good measure though.

Comment

Immediate family yes, extended family no.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                            I have some life-long friends who live in another state. About 5 years ago my wife and I visited and stayed with them at their mountain vacation home. As we were leaving they said, “if you ever want to come back here, you are welcome to stay at our place, even if we’re not here”. Here’s the question;

Would it be rude if I asked to stay at their place with my wife, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, 12 y/o nephew and 7 y/o niece for a 4-5 days next year? My wife says she won’t do it because it’s rude to ask them, even if they offered. Lodging in that area is very expensive and I’m trying to keep costs down for my in-laws.

What do you think?

Thanks
                            offer was made to you not extended family,,, I would not ask,

however you could ask them for a recommended place to stay because you are coming back that way with other family members,,, if they offer then great if not stay somewhere else... you nor they are on the spot

Comment

Interesting question..

So from my point of view: I've offered several times over the years for Long Time friends to stay at our lakehouse when we aren't there. Nobody has ever taken me up on it.

I generally extend the offer as "if you and your wife need a weekend away I'll tell you where the spare key is". I only say it to a few people and those are people I'd trust with my kids let alone my house and I've been close with them forever.

However, If they brought more than themselves (that includes their Crumb Snatchers) I wouldn't be thrilled.

Comment

Best to not to put your friends in a uncomfortable position of having to say yes or no.

Comment

Working...
                                X