Got chiggers? Try this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bites
    Chigger larvae do not burrow into the skin, nor suck blood. They pierce the skin and inject into the host a salivary secretion containing powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up). Also, this digestive fluid causes surrounding tissues to harden, forming a straw-like feeding tube of hardened flesh (stylostome) from which further, partially-digested skin cells may be sucked out. After a larva is fully fed in four days, it drops from the host, leaving a red welt with a white, hard central area on the skin that itches severely and may later develop into dermatitis. Any welts, swelling, itching, or fever will usually develop three to six hours after exposure and may continue a week or longer. If nothing is done to relieve itching, symptoms may continue a week or more. Scratching a bite may break the skin, resulting in secondary infections. However, chiggers are not known to transmit any disease in this country.
    From what I read here, they don't burrow but can remain attached, that is where the polish or other things may come in handy, so you can get them off. I did not know that so i find this very interesting. Google chiggers, there is some pretty neat info there.
    By the way, I am sorry to hear about you spill, hope you are feeling better.

Comment

chiggerex!!!!!! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10417554 and gold bond recommend both.
      Last edited by tx_dropem; 06-21-2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I also just read that feeding chiggers can be dislodged by using warm soapy water and just the slightest rubbing or scrubbing. Therefore I guess the nail polish and things like that are not needed at all.
        Wow, lived with chiggers all these years and I am just now learning these things.
        Thanks for the thread.

Comment

What can you do to alleviate suffering if these precautions fail? Lotions will relive the itching somewhat, but no substance is completely effective. The only ultimate cure is time, since there is nothing you can do to dislodge the chigger's feeding tube, the true cause of your itch. You must simply wait until your body breaks down and absorbs the foreign object.

In the meantime, local anesthetics such as benzocaine, camphor-phenol and ammonium hydroxide may provide you with several hours of comfort at a stretch. Over-the-counter creams can also help. In rare cases, some people are allergic to chigger bites and require prescription medications from their doctor.

The most popular home remedy for which there is little justification is to dab nail polish on the welt. This cannot "smother" the chigger because it has not burrowed into your skin, and it was probably scratched off long ago. The only benefit to applying a thick coat of nail polish is that it helps to remind you not to scratch the bite.

Just thought I would add this. Sorry to keep going on. Just never knew this before and am finding it fascinating.
          last post on the subject

Comment

When ever we got chiggers as kids, My dad would tell us to go find us a stingin' scorpion and put it under our armpit and hold it there for 10 seconds...He said we'd forget all about dem chiggers...

Never did try that one...

Comment

Tried windex. no workie Bought Chigger Rid at the drugstore. Workie

Comment

Chiggers for some reason don't bother me to bad! I don't know why....I don't get infected by poison ivy either.

Comment

When I was in the Army and we'd come back from a stay in the field covered with chiggers. A cup of Tide in the bathtub and soak for about 15 minutes and your good to go.

Comment

I've always put vinegar in a small spray bottle and sprayed it on the itchy parts. I smell like a dinner salad but it helps the itching.

Comment

Working...
                    X