2019 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    Interesting . Since I have been mulching with deep hay I have had zero weeds. To me that is one of the big advantages. The only place weeds grow is where there is exposed soil on edges. The very few weeds that might sprout out of the hay are easy to pull out. I always keep the hay thick so any weed seed that might be in the hay is always smothered. I do use alfalfa hay which may not have much weed seed.
    Each year I build a "manger" wall for Christmas decorations in my front yard from "straw hay" that is supposed to be "seedless"... That's what I used once... took me 2 seasons to get rid of the weeds/Johnson Grass... The past 2 years, I've used it to lay in the edge of my ponds... perch and other fish seem to love it. This year I also put a couple bales in my wife's chicken coop... By the time I picked it up out of my yard after Christmas, it already had grass growing out of the top of the bales... Ain't no way I'll ever put hay in my garden again!

Right now, last year's stubble is still in our garden spot!! Dang rain just won't give me a break!! Normally by this time, I've already tilled rowed and at least got onions and potatoes in the ground... Haven't been able to even get the tractor close to the spot!

Comment

If anyone needs manure I’ve got all they can use. Just supply transport. Dump truck, trailer, whatever I’ll load it here and you take care of freight and unloading. Will have some hay and other matter in it. I won’t run out

Comment

Got cauliflower, okra plant goin. Sweet peppers, cayenne and jalapenos in the wings. Bush tomatoes have flowers, we'll see but probably too early for them probably gonna have to start over there. Turnip, radish, and endive seeds are sprouting, waiting on celery to poke through.
        Put some herbs in the pallet planter and have some hanging baskets with strawberries.
        Last edited by Hooverfb; 02-17-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Still have winter veggies going and I hate to get rid of them as they are doing so good right now. Also I have a cover crop of oats that I have been cutting to feed to the goats. They seem to appreciate it but its all gotta go soon. Not to mention the garlic and 10-15s that won't be ready for about 4 months yet. Got some seeds in a mini-greenhouse (clear, large plastic storage tub turned upside down) in pots but haven't sprouted yet (tomatoes, squash, cukes). Got sweet potato slips growin in the kitchen window . They need to be in the ground SOON.
          Last edited by locolobo; 02-17-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

We're still waiting for the white stuff to disappear and for the temps to get above freezing. Already have a strawberry bed and plans for a few more raised beds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Guess what! We were blessed with a little more rain on Saturday night/Sunday morning!!

Comment

Lows in the low 20's this week and possible snow/sleet tomorrow. No one is even thinking about any garden's up here, or maybe just thinking about what they want to do. Mesquites at the lease are not showing any signs of starting to bud out yet.

Comment

To wet in north Lamar Co for me to do anything in the garden.

I did mulch my blueberry plants Saturday with some peat and pine bark. I am worried they are going to bust out in bloom and get bit buy a freeze. Their buds are swolen big time. They are about 10 to 14 days farther along than usual for this time of the year.

Comment

Still have my winter crops doing really well. Did drop some tomato plants in the ground yesterday to start the transition. Got a lot of little volunteer plants popping up throughout the garden really early. All my fruit trees are starting to bud early as well. Got more buttercrunch lettuce than we can handle.

Comment

What temps can tomato plants handle if they're under a covered porch?

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                        What temps can tomato plants handle if they're under a covered porch?
                        Just cover them when it gets below 40 regardless and you will be fine.

Comment

So they can handle sub freezing with a tarp?

Comment

I had to put my tomatoes in the garden before I wanted to. I made hoops and have them covered with plastic right now. I’ll add old blankets tonight.

Comment

I have 18 plants in individual buckets. Think Im going to move them all together, tarp the whole thing, and add a heat lamp under the tarp.

Comment

Rut-ro...I worry for your health. Railroad timbers are treated with creosote. Highly carcinogenic. Ive been under the impression that using railroad timbers was a big no no when building raised beds for a consumption garden.

My orchard is almost fully planted...a few skips...Ill plug some nectarine trees in those holes.

Im propagating some chile petin plants now...theyve got some new growth...so Im hopeful. They were struggling when they were vertical...so I laid them over and covered the stems and just left the leaves poking out of my propagation bed sand.

Comment

Working...
                                X