2019 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    I don't let my grass and any weeds in it get high enough to seed. The ONLY problem I have is that dang yellow nutsedge weed. I am now sure this stuff can push through solid cement and sprout. And if you don't hand pull it out just right you leave the root pods still intact and it pops right back up in a week. That is without a doubt the devils weed where I live.
    Right, but I think the issue is with the straw/hay is there is going to be weeds, etc that need to be pulled religiously.......

Comment

I put in two 8’x3’ boxes last year just for growing some tomatoes peppers and cucumbers. Both did really well. Thinking about some jalepanos, California wonder peppers, and some kind of melon this year. Guess I need to get started on it if I’m gonna start from seeds, right?

Comment

Hopefully get mine ready next week to plant outside. I’ll be growing tomatoes,cucumbers,strawberries, cantaloupe green beans, bell peppers and jalapeños.

Comment

For the nutsedge, I have had good luck with 'sedge hammer' product. KJ

Comment

2019 Gardening thread

I got mine tilled up this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just turned mine over today, not very big.

Comment

Had herons and shore birds picking up crawfish and minnows in ours this weekend... If it don't rain for about 3 weeks, I might be able to get my tractor in it and turn it over... Not looking good for the garden this year so far...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  All you guys using hay and grass clippings as mulch and such, what do you do to combat all the seeds in the grass/hay? Only time I ever used hay in my wife's garden, we fought Johnson grass and Bahia all spring and summer... worst grass/weed problem we ever had...
                  Thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

I'm starting to get my raised beds prepped.

Comment

I’m getting a batch of Cherokee Purples” started. I’m going to plant some butter lettuce and carrots soon

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                        Thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing.
                        Interesting . Since I have been mulching with deep hay I have had zero weeds. To me that is one of the big advantages. The only place weeds grow is where there is exposed soil on edges. The very few weeds that might sprout out of the hay are easy to pull out. I always keep the hay thick so any weed seed that might be in the hay is always smothered. I do use alfalfa hay which may not have much weed seed.

Comment

What lights are y’all using to start plants inside?

Comment

I bought mine off amazon.
                            Lots of choices there.

Comment

Still to wet so we’ve built raised boxes and brought in 7000 pounds of mushroom compost
                              Attached Files

Comment

Still a work in progress
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X