Val Verdy county movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Val Verdy county movement

how are things shaping up to be like around the Del Rio area? we usually come the 3rd week of November for a 4 day hunt. This year we will be there the very last weekend. we normally see some rut activity then, but hoping the later week will provide us with more activity.

Edit: will not let me change the heading to "Val Verde".....lol
    Last edited by Elite0429; 11-06-2019, 11:09 AM.

Tag for later. I hunt western Val Verde on the Terrell County line. I'm headed out the third weekend for a 4 day hunt as well. No one hunted opening weekend and some are going this weekend. Usually the chasing starts picking up around Thanksgiving. Last year, the week of December 8 was crazy. Bucks were chasing all over the place and all day long. My fiance and I will be headed out there again that week in December as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
      Tag for later. I hunt western Val Verde on the Terrell County line. I'm headed out the third weekend for a 4 day hunt as well. No one hunted opening weekend and some are going this weekend. Usually the chasing starts picking up around Thanksgiving. Last year, the week of December 8 was crazy. Bucks were chasing all over the place and all day long. My fiance and I will be headed out there again that week in December as well.
      we didn't go last year. but year before bucks were just starting to get aggressive. really hoping by us going a week later will have more activity.

Comment

I hunt on Amistad out of Comstock. Opening weekend was the usual early season groups of bucks hitting corn hard, but not much to see on the hillsides and that sort of thing.

Your timing should be pretty good. Usually the first 2 weeks of Dec is when we see our hottest action and we abandon blinds and spend all our time in the high racks. Sometimes as early as Thanksgiving, sometimes as late as Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
          I hunt on Amistad out of Comstock. Opening weekend was the usual early season groups of bucks hitting corn hard, but not much to see on the hillsides and that sort of thing.

Your timing should be pretty good. Usually the first 2 weeks of Dec is when we see our hottest action and we abandon blinds and spend all our time in the high racks. Sometimes as early as Thanksgiving, sometimes as late as Christmas.
          our guides said riding around and making a call sequence with a set of antlers can get pretty fun while looking at hill sides or into some nice canyons.

Comment

Good luck to you guys! Hopefully your area of Val Verde county was not hit by the Anthrax outbreak that hit the county and surrounding areas this year! It's worth a call to whoever you're hunting with and ask that question... Hopefully they will be honest with you if it has happened... Some areas of Val Verde county were devastated by Anthrax this Summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
              our guides said riding around and making a call sequence with a set of antlers can get pretty fun while looking at hill sides or into some nice canyons.
              I usually rattle up until Thanksgiving and have always called in some decent bucks, only 1 of which i have killed. That first and second week of December was so crazy last year I didn't even rattle. Bucks were literally everywhere. I watched 3 bucks chasing the same doe for an hour. It was fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Good luck to you guys! Hopefully your area of Val Verde county was not hit by the Anthrax outbreak that hit the county and surrounding areas this year! It's worth a call to whoever you're hunting with and ask that question... Hopefully they will be honest with you if it has happened... Some areas of Val Verde county were devastated by Anthrax this Summer.
                I've seen the thread about that. I've contacted the outfitter and he has always been honest and up front with us over the past several years of hunting together. He has said that everything is normal at his place.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Been out 3 times so far this year. I hunt near Comstock off of 1024. Seen lots of does with there late fawns. some young bucks coming to corn but havent seen any of our mature target bucks on corn feeder cameras yet. Heading out this weekend for a quick trip. Hoping this cold front that came through last night might of gotten them going.

Comment

Had cards pulled last week and bucks are still running together; however, the narrative can change any day. Last year the bucks hammered the area hard in December around the time the moon went from first quarter to full.

Comment

We're about 15 miles west of amistad on 90... no signs of anthrax but i know up towards where the 277/377 split is some places got hit hard... it has seemed to be early rut action the last couple of years but this year seems to be falling right in-line of pre-rut firing off mid to late next week then full rut being around Thanksgiving and a week or so after... we just started noticing mature bucks beginning to **** on their hocks

Comment

We are north of Pumpville about 20 miles and the rut went full blast the second week of December. I saw bucks all over the ranch chasing does like quarter horses working cattle. It was awesome!

I'm headed out tomorrow for the first hunt of the season for me and the fiance. I'm not really looking for a deer right now, but if the right one steps out I won't hesitate. We got a bunch of hogs that needs killin' though!

Comment

Just got back yesterday from our families place near Comstock. Saw some young deer and got a nice video of a 4.5 year old 10 making a scrape. Still seeing bachelor groups but when the does would come around the younger bucks were getting a little excited. Seems like the 8 pointers are more aggressive than some of our bigger deer. Was able to stick a doe with my bow though so we have some venison burgers on the way.

Heading back down there the weekend after thanksgiving. Hoping the big boys are out moving more!

Comment

Originally posted by Witchita View Post
                            Just got back yesterday from our families place near Comstock. Saw some young deer and got a nice video of a 4.5 year old 10 making a scrape. Still seeing bachelor groups but when the does would come around the younger bucks were getting a little excited. Seems like the 8 pointers are more aggressive than some of our bigger deer. Was able to stick a doe with my bow though so we have some venison burgers on the way.

Heading back down there the weekend after thanksgiving. Hoping the big boys are out moving more!
                            We arrive at the ranch on black friday and hunt till that following monday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I returned home Monday from the lease in western Val Verde/Terrell County and we saw a lot of movement this past weekend. Bucks are starting to split up as we saw several good bucks that were alone. On Saturday morning a good 9 and a good 8 got into one helluva fight. The 9 won despite being a little smaller than the 8.

Movement was pretty good in the morning and evening and there was movement all day long, despite it heating up during midday. We drove around a glassed several canyons and always saw movement. In fact, the biggest buck we saw, which was probably the biggest I've seen on that ranch, we jumped at 3 PM and he was in the middle of large, open flat. Very tall, heavy and way outside his ears. I just couldn't get the rifle out fast enough.

Saturday morning, after the buck fight they all scrambled and left by 730. I caught movement coming form my right at 200 yards and spotted a big buck working to my left. He was on a mission. I glassed him as he worked through the brush toward the creek bottom and could tell he was tall and heavy, but he never turned his head my direction. He stopped at the creek bottom and turned his head and I knew this was probably the same 8 point I saw last year. Just a huge 8 and probably the biggest 8 on the ranch. I saw him last year and had a broadside shot at 150 yards, but didn't take it because he'd broken every tine off his left side. All that was there was the brow tine and his main beam.

Anyway, I grabbed my rifle and was gonna give him a dirt nap when he came out of the creek bottom, but he came out farther down than I expected and was half way up the mountain before I found him again. All I could do was watch as he continued on his mission.

I left the blind and went to pick up my fiance around 930 and found a bunch of sheep on the mountain to my left. Barbado and mouflon crosses that we've been trying to eliminate from the lease. We had pretty much done that last year, but I found this group of about 20 rams and ewes. I chased them down the mountain and when they stopped I let the Barrett 6.5x55 eat. I knocked down the biggest ram and they took off. Ultimately I killed two more rams before I decided I needed to pick her up. Everywhere I sat this weekend I heard sheep so we've been invaded again.

I found two more rams in another canyon Monday morning and used the 6.5 PRC. They were a looooooong way off and I didn't have my spotter standing next to me to tell me where I was hitting. I missed the first two shots at a tan colored ram as he ran closer. I'm pretty sure I nailed him on the third shot as he stood broadside. I couldn't find him again when after the rifle recoiled.

We will be headed back out the weekend of December 7. Last year, everything broke loose that week and the bucks were running does like cutting horses. It was fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X